A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:01:35 pm
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Massive new car factory for Pryor  (Read 69637 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #330 on: April 15, 2023, 10:53:40 am »

I hate that Republicans are making me support Bud Light now. I mean, the enemy of my enemy is my friend and so on but - geez - this is almost a bridge too far.  Grin

A-B financed the fight against eliminating 3.2 beer in Oklahoma as well as medical marijuana. Thank God it was only organized crime that financed the fight against legalization, but I digress..

OKLAHOMA CITY — The state has inked a contract for Panasonic to open a massive electric vehicle battery plant at the MidAmerica Industrial Park in Pryor.
But a dispute over who will pay for roughly $245 million in site work at the industrial park means the agreement isn’t a done deal yet.
After the Oklahoma House saw a copy of the agreement on Wednesday, Speaker Charles McCall, R-Atoka, said the deal does not meet the qualifications for Panasonic to be eligible for $698 million in economic development incentives.

https://tulsaworld.com/news/state-and-regional/govt-and-politics/oklahoma-signs-deal-for-panasonic-battery-plant-in-pryor-but-theres-a-catch/article_1ab4f740-dae3-11ed-974f-6b31d097d0f6.html

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #331 on: April 15, 2023, 01:56:32 pm »

After the Oklahoma House saw a copy of the agreement on Wednesday, Speaker Charles McCall, R-Atoka, said the deal does not meet the qualifications for Panasonic to be eligible for $698 million in economic development incentives.

Since it is not near Atoka.

LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #332 on: April 15, 2023, 02:40:23 pm »

My guess is it's because there is a contingency of the 'infrastructure' cost - the $250 million ish #

The requirement to get the LEAD Act $ is a binding, no contingency agreement - which technically it doesn't appear that Panasonic has signed one.

Doesn't mean they can't easily work this out. He's posturing to get the tax cuts passed - he's been pushing for the elimination of state income tax for a while. Stitt is in agreement there, the Senate does not appear to be interested in doing any resident income tax reduction.

Let's see how dramatic Republicans can be with each other  Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes and I don't get why they are having this discussion/debate now and didn't hammer this out a longtime ago. This is the frustrating part of Oklahoma is they don't seem to ever take any type of economic development deal seriously.

But... even if the money goes back in the general revenue fund they can just reallocate it back to Panasonic anyways.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 02:42:08 pm by LandArchPoke » Logged
Laramie
City Father

« Reply #333 on: April 15, 2023, 06:28:18 pm »

Want to see more details with performance triggers before committing to Panasonic.  Looks inviting on the surface.  This would benefit Tulsa metro.

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #334 on: April 17, 2023, 10:14:21 am »

Someone will buy some 'services' from his consulting firm and things will be ok then.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #335 on: April 22, 2023, 09:41:48 am »

I don't get why they are having this discussion/debate now and didn't hammer this out a longtime ago. This is the frustrating part of Oklahoma is they don't seem to ever take any type of economic development deal seriously.

But Im sure Panasonic just cant wait to jump right in...

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
dioscorides
Civic Leader

« Reply #336 on: November 24, 2023, 10:16:18 am »

Company Planning To Build Lithium Refinery In Oklahoma
A new company is planning to build a lithium refinery in Oklahoma.
https://www.newson6.com/story/655fc60db7abe706bd817bc5/company-planning-to-build-lithium-refinery-in-oklahoma

A Connecticut energy startup company plans to build a lithium refinery just outside Tulsa, on an unspecified 66-acre site with access to the Kerr-McClellan Navigation System. The Mid-America Industrial Park fits their description of the property and has been actively recruiting industries related to electric vehicle production.

Stardust Power LLC announced plans in May to build a lithium refinery capable of processing 55,100 tons of battery-grade lithium annually. Their product would be destined for the electric vehicle market.

The Stardust Oklahoma plant announcement was included in an investor fact sheet about a planned combination between Stardust and Global Power Acquisition leading to listing on the Nasdaq exchange, expected in early 2024. The company says the State of Oklahoma and municipal incentives would support the project, in addition to federal grants and loans.

The company report says Stardust plans to build in Oklahoma to take advantage of nearby access to raw materials in Arkansas and Texas, and battery and vehicle manufacturers in several states. EV manufacturer Canoo has a battery module assembly plant at Mid-America, and a vehicle assembly plant in Oklahoma City that is ramping up operations.

The company expects to recruit and retrain old and gas workers to help build the workforce they need and utilize oil and gas wastewater as one source for production.

The company states the plant will utilize some renewable energy for production, which is available at Mid-America, and produce zero liquid discharge.

Below is Stardust Power LLC's release:

"Stardust Power’s strategy is to become a leading producer of battery grade lithium products in the U.S. The Company believes that designing a large central refinery optimized for multiple inputs of brine lithium feedstock provides an opportunity to scale production rather than the dependence on single assets. The proposed new battery-grade lithium refining facility in Greater Tulsa, Oklahoma, is expected to produce 50,000 metric tonnes per year of American battery-grade lithium, supporting the expansion of domestic manufacturing and helping to secure U.S. energy independence by reducing EV supply chain dependence on foreign sources of material. This is anticipated to reduce the reliance on lithium imports from China which could be threatened by increasing Chinese export controls, among other factors.

"The Oklahoma refinery site is shovel ready. The site has access to existing power (including from renewable sources), water supply, wastewater treatment, and natural gas service, as well as connections to major railways for material delivery and offtake. Once operational, the refinery is anticipated to draw employees from the surrounding area through workforce training programs and job placement partnerships.

“Stardust Power aims to solve one of the largest challenges of the energy transition – reliable access to the critical minerals that will make the transition a reality,” said Roshan Pujari, CEO of Stardust Power. “Refined lithium is the key component in the lithium-ion batteries which make the proliferation of EVs, and decarbonization of transportation, possible. Domestic production of battery-grade lithium is also a crucial factor to American national security and leadership in the energy transition, which Stardust Power is working to address.”"

There is an ancient Celtic axiom that says 'Good people drink good beer.' Which is true, then as now. Just look around you in any public barroom and you will quickly see: bad people drink bad beer. Think about it. - Hunter S. Thompson
Laramie
City Father

« Reply #337 on: December 20, 2023, 08:22:04 am »

Painful news on the Oklahoma Panasonic EV Battery Plant: Panasonic drops plan for EV battery factory in Oklahoma:

Difficult to stomach this link: https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Automobiles/Panasonic-drops-plan-for-EV-battery-factory-in-Oklahoma

Painful gut punch to Oklahoma and the Tulsa Metro area which seemed to be on the verge on phenomenal growth into the next decade.

Pulling for Tulsa to rebound and get better development for its metro area.   Look at it this way, may have been a blessing in disguise--much like when OKC lost out to Indianapolis for the United Airlines Maintenance facility--MAPS Capital Improvements idea was created.  OKC has been on the move ever since.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2023, 10:27:44 am by Laramie » Logged

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #338 on: December 20, 2023, 12:41:27 pm »

I don't think local government is the problem. The Governor and his lackey are publicly attacking the public schools, and the Governor also announced a ban on anything related to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Pretty sure Panasonic is a large corporation that takes DEI pretty seriously. I know the Governor's policy wouldn't apply directly to a private company, but it says everything about what our state is about. There are also plenty of private companies being attacked for their DEI programs as it relates to hiring, and making that even a possiblity here will dissuade big businesses. I wish they'd start saying it out loud so that the state legislature and our electorate will get the message. If this had been the atmosphere in the early 2000's when I moved back to Oklahoma, there is zero chance I'd move here either, same if I were a decision maker for a big company. I honestly consider getting the heck out every other day, but I do love my part of Tulsa and the people I associate with, and that keeps me here so far.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #339 on: December 20, 2023, 12:59:20 pm »

I would guess this is mostly based on lower demand for EV's and batteries and not anything Oklahoma did or didn't do.  We would've won the plant that went to Kansas if not for the TIF which still isn't what Panasonic asked for infrastructure upgrades.

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #340 on: December 21, 2023, 10:44:04 am »

I would guess this is mostly based on lower demand for EV's and batteries and not anything Oklahoma did or didn't do.  We would've won the plant that went to Kansas if not for the TIF which still isn't what Panasonic asked for infrastructure upgrades.

There seem to be a number of factors affecting the EV market slow down. Here is a pretty good article from the BBC posted in November 2023 that discusses several of the issues.

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20231108-three-big-reasons-americans-havent-rapidly-adopted-evs
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #341 on: December 22, 2023, 05:59:16 pm »

There seem to be a number of factors affecting the EV market slow down. Here is a pretty good article from the BBC posted in November 2023 that discusses several of the issues.

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20231108-three-big-reasons-americans-havent-rapidly-adopted-evs

Would like to have an electric.  Talked to a guy a couple weeks ago that got a 2022 Rivian and after about 5 months, he still likes it.  With qualifications, like charging - must plan carefully.  Still too expensive for me though - not gonna pay $75,000 for a used one.  Or a new one...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org