A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:59:03 am
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Massive new car factory for Pryor  (Read 70260 times)
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #315 on: April 12, 2023, 11:13:28 pm »

Keep this on your radar. Large green manufacturer is in play for this site.

Both Pinnell and Stitt said today that there's about a half dozen thousand plus employers scouting Tulsa/NE Oklahoma and most of these are possibly making announcements in the next 60-90 days if Oklahoma will be picked as the winner. They didn't give much detail to the industry or type of employers though.

There's a lot going on behind the scenes for sure. It's promising. It's been really hard seeing what's passed us over but it has really, really gotten us a lot of attention nationally being in the top two in so many other searches.

Oklahoma used to not even get a look in the initial phases of site selection, so to be a finalist in so many searches, particularly it being pretty much only Tulsa/NE OK too these employers have circled and not OKC is a pretty big deal. We'll eventually start landing a few of these and we could really be on the verge of a big tipping point growth wise.

Our growth already has ticked up to over 1% per year and if we land 1-2 of these we could easily see growth rates in the 2-3% per year range MSA wide over the next decade. Could easily hit the 20-30% range from last census to next which would put us into the fastest growing MSAs. We're solidly moving up each year but one or two of these projects would really be a game changer for NE Oklahoma. Tulsa has gotten much closer to closing the percentage growth rate with OKC and other metros and we could easily see these types of project push up closer to Austin/NWA/Research Triangle type growth rates. That's good and bad I guess if it happens.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 11:23:45 pm by LandArchPoke » Logged
Tulsan
Civic Leader

« Reply #316 on: April 13, 2023, 02:05:06 pm »

Keep this on your radar. Large green manufacturer is in play for this site.

https://www.readfrontier.org/stories/international-clean-energy-company-eyes-oklahoma-as-lawmakers-weigh-incentives/

The international clean energy company Enel wants to build a solar panel manufacturing facility in Oklahoma and Gov. Kevin Stitt is asking state lawmakers to support an undisclosed incentive package to seal the deal.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #317 on: April 13, 2023, 02:26:17 pm »

Now that is cool.
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #318 on: April 13, 2023, 02:39:08 pm »

Of course the legislature is the hold up once again lol.

While our politics aren't unique, what is, is the lack of speed and professionalism of getting packages together with little drama.

Why does Oklahoma just not have a set economic incentives program similar to Texas and other states that would allow for less BS from the legislature in having to approve every single one of these each time a company is down to the final sites?
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #319 on: April 13, 2023, 02:40:16 pm »

Of course the legislature is the hold up once again lol.

While our politics aren't unique, what is, is the lack of speed and professionalism of getting packages together with little drama.

Why does Oklahoma just not have a set economic incentives program similar to Texas and other states that would allow for less BS from the legislature in having to approve every single one of these each time a company is down to the final sites?

We used to have the "Quality Jobs Act", not sure where that stands today.
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #320 on: April 13, 2023, 02:46:08 pm »

We used to have the "Quality Jobs Act", not sure where that stands today.

It's still in place and is a good tool - they really need something else set like the Quality Jobs Act - that is for some of these bigger plays. That's the reason Texas has ate our lunch for so long is things like the Texas Enterprise Fund and other things that really allowed them to catch 1,000 plus or HQ relocations better than other states.

If there really is a half dozen companies that would be 1,000+ employee operations with Tulsa/NE Oklahoma as a finalists why not just do something similar to that and set up a fund with some of the revenue surplus and funds left over from Panasonic. I can think of a lot worse ways to spend the money, some of it should go to the rainy day fund but while we have some many employers so close to picking Oklahoma seems like a missed opportunity if we don't do something with the surplus.  
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #321 on: April 13, 2023, 03:21:12 pm »

Because we do it the Oklahoma way.

Did you really ask or was that a rhetorical question?

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #322 on: April 13, 2023, 03:35:17 pm »

Neat. Hopefully Stitt wont try to woo them to the state over some lite beers watching a cockfight.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #323 on: April 13, 2023, 03:39:32 pm »

Because we do it the Oklahoma way.

Did you really ask or was that a rhetorical question?

100% rhetorical haha

Neat. Hopefully Stitt wont try to woo them to the state over some lite beers watching a cockfight.

Don't give McCall/Stitt any ideas lol. Only non "woke" lite beers too.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #324 on: April 13, 2023, 09:15:17 pm »

Bud Light?

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #325 on: April 14, 2023, 04:52:09 am »

I hate that Republicans are making me support Bud Light now. I mean, the enemy of my enemy is my friend and so on but - geez - this is almost a bridge too far.  Grin
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #326 on: April 14, 2023, 03:56:10 pm »

I hate that Republicans are making me support Bud Light now. I mean, the enemy of my enemy is my friend and so on but - geez - this is almost a bridge too far.  Grin

LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #327 on: April 14, 2023, 05:02:48 pm »

Looks like it's "official" that Panasonic is splitting the plants between KC and our area like many had suspected would happen.

$245 million in site costs is the last step to finalizing the deal. I'm guessing that was the amount that would have came from the TIF that was voted down. Will be interesting to see the work around to this.

Texas has a similar property tax rebate that just recently ended (I suspect why Oklahoma is catching the eye of a lot of large manufactures too). Maybe the state could establish an ad valorem rebate that bypasses county officials and is directly approved by school boards or something like it has worked in Texas too.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #328 on: April 14, 2023, 09:51:55 pm »

It seems like 3500 jobs and $5 billion investment would be worth an extra $245M but what do I know

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #329 on: April 14, 2023, 11:20:04 pm »

It seems like 3500 jobs and $5 billion investment would be worth an extra $245M but what do I know

There has to be a way that we end up losing out overall.

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org