A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:41:08 am
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Massive new car factory for Pryor  (Read 69016 times)
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2022, 05:45:37 pm »

I'm worried by the time Canoo manages to build something it's not going to matter. Ford has started production of it's E-Transit Electric Van and deliveries will probably start next month. With Ford already owning 40% of the cargo van market, this will only expand that which leaves even less pie for Canoo to get a slice of. Rivian has their cargo vans for Amazon already out - the small ones are being delivered with the two larger sizes in the works, GM's new BrightDrop division is already delivering it's EV600 to FedEx and WalMart and I read will be taking orders in general soon, and the Mercedes eSprinter is coming out next year in the US but is already out in Europe (plus an electric version of their Metris). Plus - the Dodge ProMaster is available in Europe as an electric currently as is the Nissan NV200 and since both of those are already sold here as ICE versions the electric ones could appear at any time.

IMO, a lot depends on the strength of Canoo's connection to Wal-Mart. 

ComeOnBenjals
Civic Leader

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2022, 11:25:57 am »

I will say... Canoo is really pushing to hire and move talent to Tulsa. We'll see if they're successful as a company, but they're making decent hiring investments in Tulsa.
tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2022, 02:17:26 pm »

I will say... Canoo is really pushing to hire and move talent to Tulsa. We'll see if they're successful as a company, but they're making decent hiring investments in Tulsa.

Indeed. Tulsa is prime to be the Silicone Prairie.

Incidentally here's a new article on CNN specifically talking about how the EV Van wars are heating up - https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/08/business/electric-vans-war/index.html
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2022, 02:34:25 pm »

Indeed. Tulsa is prime to be the Silicone Prairie.

Incidentally here's a new article on CNN specifically talking about how the EV Van wars are heating up - https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/08/business/electric-vans-war/index.html

I did find it interesting that Walmart is noted in that article as a buyer from GM. My guess is Walmart will eventually move to a shipping model similar to Amazon that is less dependent on UPS/FedEx and will need thousands of vans/trucks. They will need more than one supplier as well similar to Amazon. Amazon is not only buying EVs from Rivian.

Canoo's HQ move to NWA seems like a natural fit to be a large supplier of vehicles to Walmart and I doubt Walmart will ever want to co-invest in any company Amazon is investing in, and Canoo is one of the few that has a product even remotely close to being able to go into production that Amazon, FedEx, or UPS isn't already heavily involved/invested.
Rattle Trap
Activist

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2022, 03:54:29 pm »

https://tulsaworld.com/business/local/mayes-county-examines-proposed-tif-for-midamerica-industrial-park/article_1178e8ba-83ac-11ec-b70f-1fdf01298260.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

Anyone have any info on companies looking at Mid America? In the article they said:

"Stewart projects that private investment in the TIF, if approved, would be $5 billion to $6 billion over the first five years of the TIF, which is capped by state statute at 25 years."

The TIF will only cover undeveloped land currently - so sounds like they have some massive potential projects in the pipeline. Maybe additional data centers? $5-6 Billion is a lot, the Canoo factory is only estimated at around $400 million.

Not sure how it relates to the TIF, but word on the street is Google is almost out of room at their current MAIP site and has already started preparation for a second MAIP site. They already own the land. A whole new site could easily amount to billions in development.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2022, 05:14:04 pm »

I did find it interesting that Walmart is noted in that article as a buyer from GM. My guess is Walmart will eventually move to a shipping model similar to Amazon that is less dependent on UPS/FedEx and will need thousands of vans/trucks. They will need more than one supplier as well similar to Amazon. Amazon is not only buying EVs from Rivian.

Walmart is already a huge truck company now.  And way ahead of some of the bottom feeders like US Express and Covenant, who have several thousand tractors...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2022, 11:22:04 pm »

Walmart is already a huge truck company now.  And way ahead of some of the bottom feeders like US Express and Covenant, who have several thousand tractors...

Semi's yes, but not on the delivery van side. If Walmart wants to challenge Amazon delivery wise they are going to need several thousand smaller delivery vans. Same with Amazon, there won't be one single company who can meet that demand.

Frankly, Walmart if it gets its game together could probably beat Amazon at its own game given its real estate footprint. They could utilize every store they have as a distribution center for same day delivery. Their advantage window is closing fast though given Amazon's pace of distribution center construction everywhere - and Walmart doesn't seem to be reacting very fast to counter Amazon.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 11:25:10 pm by LandArchPoke » Logged
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2022, 09:39:36 pm »

Latest rumor is that Panasonic is looking at Mid-America for a new battery plant.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2022, 11:14:59 pm »

Latest rumor is that Panasonic is looking at Mid-America for a new battery plant.

They will probably want property off the end of the runway of the airport.  Then they will want the airport shut down for "safety" reasons.  Sad

ComeOnBenjals
Civic Leader

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2022, 10:17:03 am »

MidAmerica Industrial Park reportedly in the running for huge electric vehicle battery plant

https://tulsaworld.com/news/state-and-regional/midamerica-industrial-park-reportedly-in-the-running-for-huge-electric-vehicle-battery-plant/article_1ad6223a-8ba7-11ec-be98-038d51a330de.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

Would be fantastic to land this... know the chamber is really working hard on this. Could start to build a decent EV space if we can get this going.
tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2022, 11:32:25 am »

MidAmerica Industrial Park reportedly in the running for huge electric vehicle battery plant

https://tulsaworld.com/news/state-and-regional/midamerica-industrial-park-reportedly-in-the-running-for-huge-electric-vehicle-battery-plant/article_1ad6223a-8ba7-11ec-be98-038d51a330de.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

Would be fantastic to land this... know the chamber is really working hard on this. Could start to build a decent EV space if we can get this going.

It would be an awesome thing to get. Maybe we can lure it in by replacing the Golden Driller's head with a giant battery! No wait. Nevermind.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2022, 01:29:32 pm »

Have we taken into consideration, and are we willing to accept, the risks involved with the hazardous waste and overall industrial risks of manufacturing Lithium ion, lithium-iron-phosphate or nickel-cobalt-aluminum etc. batteries?

And how close would we want such a facility to critical infrastructure like an airport?

The proposal sounds great for our economy -- if we have thought it out, but have we?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2022, 01:34:14 pm »

Well, the location is 30 miles from TIA, so we will probably be fine.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2022, 11:07:32 pm »

Well, the location is 30 miles from TIA, so we will probably be fine.

There is a golf course nearby.  Maybe that will get someone's attention.

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2022, 05:20:15 am »

Have we taken into consideration, and are we willing to accept, the risks involved with the hazardous waste and overall industrial risks of manufacturing Lithium ion, lithium-iron-phosphate or nickel-cobalt-aluminum etc. batteries?

And how close would we want such a facility to critical infrastructure like an airport?

The proposal sounds great for our economy -- if we have thought it out, but have we?

As opposed to the various chemical production company, a paper processing company, a gypsum processing company and a plastics company with all of their chemical byproducts and chemical production processes? There has been a lot of chemical waste production there going back 50 years or so.

Anhydrous ammonia has been one of the products at the Pryor Chemical plant there since the 70's.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org