A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:15:54 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Borders Books going bust  (Read 11782 times)
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2011, 12:16:06 pm »

So, you think there might be a plan for 21st or will it sit vacant and rot for 5 years?

I would bet 21st will not be retail in the future.

The only thing that will sit and rot for 5 years will be in downtown....The Penguins props. Sad
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2011, 10:29:41 am »

Half-Price Books needs to move in!  I lived near one in Dallas and it is awesome.  They have one in OKC now.  The 21st location is ideal imo.

http://www.hpb.com/
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2011, 10:45:53 am »

I live near the 21st St. Borders and hope this building can be refocused on some type of retail space.  I suspect it will probably end up being converted to an office buildling.

On the plus side, Borders demise in this part of town might help Steve Sundry Books fight the rising tide against brick and mortar book stores.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2011, 12:27:25 pm »

I live near the 21st St. Borders and hope this building can be refocused on some type of retail space.  I suspect it will probably end up being converted to an office buildling.

On the plus side, Borders demise in this part of town might help Steve Sundry Books fight the rising tide against brick and mortar book stores.

So long as Steve's continues it's focus on a wide array of periodicals and more books of local interest, they will always be relevant.  Thinking about the Borders on 21st, it would probably be better for office space with the access there.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2011, 01:28:26 pm »

So long as Steve's continues it's focus on a wide array of periodicals and more books of local interest, they will always be relevant.  Thinking about the Borders on 21st, it would probably be better for office space with the access there.

I agree Steve's will be relevant, I just hope it can stay profitable.  It is a tough and changing business that is really squeezing the niche players.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2011, 02:17:57 pm »

I agree Steve's will be relevant, I just hope it can stay profitable.  It is a tough and changing business that is really squeezing the niche players.

What's interesting is the book business is something Steve's evolved into to stay profitable and relevant over the last 25-30 years.  I grew up in the neighborhood just west of there in the early to mid '70's and it was a "sundry" store which more or less was a convenience store.  It's evolution into books and all the periodicals occurred in the last 25 years to be able to stay relevant in the face of QT's and Walgreens all over the place.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2011, 02:18:32 pm »

I would bet 21st will not be retail in the future.

The only thing that will sit and rot for 5 years will be in downtown....The Penguins props. Sad

The Penguin.  Love it.  So appropriate.

joiei
City Father

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2011, 04:26:59 pm »

Books-a-Million could move  into that location and fill in a gap they don't currently serve in Tulsa.

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2011, 05:44:14 pm »

Books-a-Million could move  into that location and fill in a gap they don't currently serve in Tulsa.

There is a Books-a-Million store at 71st and US 75 shopping center.

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2011, 08:21:17 am »

I heard Kitchell is looking at the 21st location for a new night-club...... Huh Huh Huh

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2011, 08:37:59 am »

I heard Kitchell is looking at the 21st location for a new night-club...... Huh Huh Huh

Boobs-A-Million?

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2011, 08:44:01 am »

Boobs-A-Million?

haha...South of the Border..... Grin

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2023, 09:41:55 am »

Please forgive the blast from the past, but search couldnt find the more recent discussion about the old building at 21st & the BA.

The original site is unrecognizable now with the structure greatly expanded to store mountains of peoples junk, but there is a separate, smaller structure now on the NW corner of the lot that looks to be the size of a drive-thru coffee or cell phone shop.  Any clues?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
TulsaGuy
Activist

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2023, 09:29:39 am »

Pretty sure it's going to be a Starbucks drive thru.  Crazy how many coffee drive throughs there are in town.  You could just drive around town drinking coffee all day and never have to get out of your car! 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org