A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:21:57 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 412 To Be Designated Future Interstate  (Read 3534 times)
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« on: May 24, 2021, 01:01:15 pm »

https://talkbusiness.net/2021/05/u-s-legislators-look-to-designate-part-of-highway-412-as-future-interstate/

412 From Tulsa to NWA could become an interstate in the future. This seems like an obvious need to me. Traveling eastward on 412 is kind of a pain, but really the worst of it is just navigating through Springdale. If this project pushes Arkansas along to complete the Springdale bypass then that would be a big win-win!
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2021, 01:51:27 pm »

Fayetteville is a great day trip from Tulsa at 2 hours each way.  I think this could potentially cut down the travel time to closer to an hour and 40 min.  Lots of good hiking around there too that would be more accessible.  Not to mention the economic benefits  Wink

DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2021, 10:37:46 am »

It'll probably take decades to fund the Siloam Springs re-route, and it doesn't really make sense unless it's pure interstate from I-35 to I-49. This is just an introductory bill to support funding the parts that need upgrades. I hope it's a higher priority than I expect it to be because it would be a nice connection between I-35, Stillwater, Tulsa, and NWA. I'm also curious if they would connect OK 51 west of Stillwater to the Cimmaron Turnpike spur to the north of Stillwater, to make the connection closer to OKC from the South. Would be a big deal for Stillwater.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 10:46:21 am by DowntownDan » Logged
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2021, 01:45:59 pm »

^Just connecting Tulsa to NWA better is enough for it to make sense, it doesn't need to go way out past Stillwater to connect to I35. That's not the most traveled part of the route. We are talking about connecting metro areas of ~1 million and half a million (at least, and growing fast). Stillwater isn't really part of this equation.

Siloam Springs will definitively be the sticking point. I'm assuming they would have to build a wide bypass to the north or south. Cutting through the center of town would be tough and brings all the issues of dividing a town in half that people are starting to pay attention to. I don't know a good solution off the top of my head.
Ben
Citizen

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2021, 03:39:49 pm »

You are right about Siloam Springs. I don't know exactly when this was, but it was not long ago that they considered a northern or southern bypass and landed on a big project to reconfigure the existing 412 to what it is currently. Before the reconfiguration there was a turn lane on the majority of the road, not the current configuration the with the center barrier. From what I recall from friend and family who live there, reopening that conversation is going to be divisive.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2021, 03:43:17 pm »

^Just connecting Tulsa to NWA better is enough for it to make sense, it doesn't need to go way out past Stillwater to connect to I35. That's not the most traveled part of the route. We are talking about connecting metro areas of ~1 million and half a million (at least, and growing fast). Stillwater isn't really part of this equation.

Siloam Springs will definitively be the sticking point. I'm assuming they would have to build a wide bypass to the north or south. Cutting through the center of town would be tough and brings all the issues of dividing a town in half that people are starting to pay attention to. I don't know a good solution off the top of my head.

Tulsa is already connected to I-35. Nothing needs to be built at all going that direction for a new Interstate. Just adding signs.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2021, 04:12:07 pm »

You are right about Siloam Springs. I don't know exactly when this was, but it was not long ago that they considered a northern or southern bypass and landed on a big project to reconfigure the existing 412 to what it is currently. Before the reconfiguration there was a turn lane on the majority of the road, not the current configuration the with the center barrier. From what I recall from friend and family who live there, reopening that conversation is going to be divisive.

The south side of Siloam Springs would be a more direct route for the bypass with fewer neighborhoods to deal with. Tie it into existing Hwy 16 which runs along the east side.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2021, 09:27:04 am »

Tulsa is already connected to I-35. Nothing needs to be built at all going that direction for a new Interstate. Just adding signs.

Once out of downtown, 412 turns into a limited access hwy for most of it, but there are at-grade crossings that will need to be reconfigured if it's to be interstate the entire way from Arkansas to the Cimmy/I-35 junction.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2021, 11:51:40 am »

If I were a gambling man, I'd bet my money on the conversion of 412 to an Interstate being completed before I-11 from Las Vegas to I-19 in Sahuarita, AZ.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_11
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org