A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:19:41 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Former Wyndham near 169 and 41st  (Read 10287 times)
tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2021, 10:29:42 am »

So it appears that this is going to become some kind of Veteran's home/retirement home.

41st & 169 sure seems like a terrible place to retire to. Nothing like looking out your window and seeing the gorgeous views of a Sonic, Supercuts, and easily the ugliest Reasor's location. I could see why no hotel could make it there.
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2021, 10:32:26 am »

41st & 169 sure seems like a terrible place to retire to. Nothing like looking out your window and seeing the gorgeous views of a Sonic, Supercuts, and easily the ugliest Reasor's location. I could see why no hotel could make it there.

But there is a really nice taco stand at least, lol!
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2021, 09:09:39 pm »

It seems like it was the mid to late 90's when that area around 41st & Garnett started to slide.

Maybe worthy of its own topic, but what happened to that area to bring about its decline?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2021, 06:32:24 pm »

Maybe worthy of its own topic, but what happened to that area to bring about its decline?

From my observation, there was an increase in drug and property crime, and I think the apartments were accepting gov't assistance tenants. The shopping center started losing tenants, and I don't remember the name of the grocery store before Reasor's moved in, but it was worse than Warehouse Market. The Black Eyed Pea and then Delta Cafe did good there but nothing else seemed to be able to stay.

It reminded me of where I was living near Pine & Memorial by the UAW Hall. That square mile is such a mix of good and bad. I would walk over to the QT by Jorgensen Steel in the evening, but I would never go to the Denny's at 244 & Sheridan at night.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2021, 12:18:59 pm »

From my observation, there was an increase in drug and property crime, and I think the apartments were accepting gov't assistance tenants. The shopping center started losing tenants, and I don't remember the name of the grocery store before Reasor's moved in, but it was worse than Warehouse Market. The Black Eyed Pea and then Delta Cafe did good there but nothing else seemed to be able to stay.

It reminded me of where I was living near Pine & Memorial by the UAW Hall. That square mile is such a mix of good and bad. I would walk over to the QT by Jorgensen Steel in the evening, but I would never go to the Denny's at 244 & Sheridan at night.

That Reasors is nasty.

KOTV had all of four sentences about the story on their website
https://www.newson6.com/story/60638cee271a771ee8f97fa8/developer-wants-to-redo-tulsa-hotel-into-apartments-for-veterans
which is pretty typical of the OKC station with the Tulsa bureau.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2021, 08:03:58 am »

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/temporary-housing-facility-for-the-homeless-in-east-tulsa-draws-complaints-concerns/article_df9ec898-9250-11eb-9d3e-2bdb47df2bcd.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

So it appears it has actually been housing homeless this winter, but the homeless facility is scheduled to close in May. It sounds like it was a successful short term program at least... Makes me wonder more about all those fire alarms I heard going off on several occasions.

Here is the proposal for senior housing on the TMAPC agenda. http://tulsaplanning.org/tmapc/agendas/exhibits/CO-12.pdf

Not as in-depth as the south location. The owner of the strip mall across the street still wants to comment, but is still out of town apparently.
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2021, 09:02:15 am »

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/hotels-targeted-for-redevelopment-as-multi-family-senior-living/article_a8e3bd9a-8bed-11eb-b40c-5fcf2fefc171.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

More info finally coming out. Lot of NIMBY comments. No one likes to hear the term "low-income housing" near them. I think the focus on seniors and veterans is great though, as long as they are held to that instead of slowly letting just anyone crash there for cheap. I live near an area of cheap rental properties and know the issues they bring, but there is a need and good ways to approach this. Need to make sure the land lord is screening people effectively and getting longer term commitments rather than letting it be a revolving door.
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2021, 10:52:51 am »

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/hotels-targeted-for-redevelopment-as-multi-family-senior-living/article_a8e3bd9a-8bed-11eb-b40c-5fcf2fefc171.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

More info finally coming out. Lot of NIMBY comments. No one likes to hear the term "low-income housing" near them. I think the focus on seniors and veterans is great though, as long as they are held to that instead of slowly letting just anyone crash there for cheap. I live near an area of cheap rental properties and know the issues they bring, but there is a need and good ways to approach this. Need to make sure the land lord is screening people effectively and getting longer term commitments rather than letting it be a revolving door.

Generally the way these affordable agreements are done is they will be locked into only leasing for these groups for the term of the LURA (land use regulation agreement) which are generally 40-50 years in term length. If it is a senior low income tax credit deal that will be stipulated in the LURA which is what deed restricts the property to the who they can/can not lease. They may be for certain income limits (30% of the area income, 50%, 60%, etc.), veterans, seniors only, etc. It is then up to the property to comply with the recorded LURA, if they don't then the government can revoke the tax credits the property received and/or other penalties. Given the way these work, that is incredibly rare given the complication of these deals.

I think people get up in arms about low income properties but don't fully understand that there is a big difference between something that will be receiving tax credits like these versus a market rate property that has slipped into the 'affordable' range over years of bad management and deferred maintenance. Generally, the low income tax credit properties operate with very little crime and are very well taken care of... it's the bad market rate operators (most of the stuff around 61st and Peoria area for example) that is where you have issues.
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2021, 02:07:20 pm »

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/proposed-senior-housing-project-at-old-wyndham-hotel-in-east-tulsa-not-happening-attorney-says/article_ed3b1f58-b8b4-11eb-b1c3-97acbf4eea5f.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

The potential deal is now off the table. Still not sure exactly why there was so much resistance to this, but glad the homeless program gets an extension.

Maybe the owner is planning on returning the property to hotel use. Probably a giant OYO...
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2022, 12:03:43 pm »

http://tulsaplanning.org/tmapc/agendas/exhibits/CO-15.pdf

So this is apparently moving forward as a multi-family residential project. The place is pretty overgrown right now, but I spotted a crew working on the side of the building replacing cladding, so that caused me to look it up. They have gutted the interiors already so I'm sure it will be a little better soundproofed than a hotel typically is, but I'm sure these apartments aren't going to be great. The rest of the apartments in the area already aren't great. I mean, everyone needs a place to live, but we know what happens when crappy apartments are jumbled together and there's already a lot of craziness that goes on in this area. At least the building is being used again and we get some added density.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org