A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:31:01 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Development at 31st/Peoria?  (Read 42332 times)
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2020, 08:49:52 am »

There's no housing to the south, and the east end of the project are townhomes, so not commercial space. And the retail and dining part appear to be facing the major streets of 31st and Peoria. There obviously will be immense pearl clutching from anyone nearby, but I support density within existing neighborhoods including townhomes. The only grievance I can see as legitimate is maybe the height, but I'm not really sure because again that part of the project is buffered by the townhomes to the east and the creek to the south where there aren't homes anyway.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2020, 10:24:23 am »

As a north Brookside resident (my house is literally on the map above - I'm west of Peoria/south of 31st), this looks great to me.

I walk from my house to Brookside "proper" all the time... I've been hoping for a while that the west side of Peoria north of 34th would get a little bit more developed, and I think this would certainly potentially benefit that.

Well, I confess, I have just gone down a rabbit hole on this development and related development from Kaiser and TGP, the possible Crow Creek trail, and the like.   Spent waaayyy too much time thing morning, but pretty cool stuff.

When you say North of 34th on the West side, what area do you mean?  The area South of Crow Creek is already commercial (but yes, could be improved upon), and the area North of the Creek on the SW corner of Peoria and 32 st is owned by Kaiser.  (Who I assume is holding it as part of the proposed trail.)  North of that is all existing residential.

After looking at what Kaiser owns, it could make sense to acquire the land immediately across Peoria and South of the line that would be the extended 32st, and make some kind of entry into Brookside, with the requisite parks, etc.   Any non- residential development North of the 32 st street line seems (IMHO) intrusive on the current residential nature of the area.

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2020, 12:59:48 pm »

Good point on this connecting directly to the planned Crow Creek trail.  That will be a great amenity once it is built, especially if it involves a below-grade crossing underneath the Peoria bridge.   That puts all of Brookside within close and safe walking distance to the Gathering Place and the future development to the south.  It also helps connects the larger Brookside neighborhood to the river trails.  A dream would be to one day be able to connect to Philbrook as well.

rebound
City Father

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2020, 03:47:40 pm »

Good point on this connecting directly to the planned Crow Creek trail.  That will be a great amenity once it is built, especially if it involves a below-grade crossing underneath the Peoria bridge.   That puts all of Brookside within close and safe walking distance to the Gathering Place and the future development to the south.  It also helps connects the larger Brookside neighborhood to the river trails.  A dream would be to one day be able to connect to Philbrook as well.

Based on what is currently owned by City of Tulsa or Kaiser, the Crow Creek trail from Riverside to Peoria is very close to being feasible.  A couple of areas still to be addressed, but I'm sure it will happen.   I looked at what it would take to get the trail over to Zink Park, and there are several smaller lots in the way, so I think there is a problem there.  If the trail could make it to Zink Park, getting it the rest of the way to Philbrook seems pretty doable.  There are two HOAs that own stretches of the creek there, and only one (very) large acreage where the owner would have to be negotiated with.

DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2020, 03:52:14 pm »

I remember reading about the Crow Creek running trail and always thought it was a pipedream. It would be really cool if they could get it done.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2020, 05:18:18 pm »

I remember reading about the Crow Creek running trail and always thought it was a pipedream. It would be really cool if they could get it done.

Sounds like it could actually become a reality which would be an amazing asset for midtown.  Now if only you could not only get to Philbrook but go through it and all the way to Yorktown by Cascia you would have a neighborhood trail from the river to near Utica Sq

DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2020, 07:05:36 pm »

It reminds me of a creekside trail I saw in Boulder, CO. The part I walked along was not in a neighborhood but I think it did extend into a residential area. It was really pretty and interesting.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2020, 10:10:05 am »

Massing model for this project.  Planning Commission meets to consider this project on Sep. 2

Not sure how I feel about the commercial midrise but I love the townhomes and residential density

rebound
City Father

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2020, 10:05:04 am »

Not sure how I feel about the commercial midrise but I love the townhomes and residential density

Agreed.  Basically any form of residential, done well, would work fine there.   The push-back is on the commercial.   

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2020, 12:38:46 pm »

I'm a fan of urban green space but I think this will be a great use of the Patterson estate and would be a nice anchor for north Brookside.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2020, 03:52:08 pm »

I still don't understand why there are no hotels in Brookside.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2020, 04:09:00 pm »

So who is Brett Kramer?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2020, 04:11:40 pm »

I still don't understand why there are no hotels in Brookside.

Or really in midtown for that matter, outside of the Campbell on 11th.

buffalodan
Activist

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2020, 11:52:08 am »

I'm just excited that we finally get to fix the sidewalks in that area. The current ones really suck with that stone wall right up against them. Not a fan.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2020, 03:19:57 pm »

It reminds me of a creekside trail I saw in Boulder, CO. The part I walked along was not in a neighborhood but I think it did extend into a residential area. It was really pretty and interesting.

Really excited for the possibility of a Crow Creek trail at least to 31st.  Like I said before if you could extend a neighborhood trail all the way to Yorktown you could connect several midtown neighborhoods to Brookside and the river.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org