A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:32:41 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Discovery Lab  (Read 18022 times)
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« on: February 21, 2020, 08:19:13 am »

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local/work-on-city-s-new-million-children-s-museum-set/article_5d749856-5398-5651-bc6f-05bf913e910b.html

Now that work has commenced, I feel that this deserves it's own thread. This is a huge development and an incredible asset. In some ways it will be as big a draw as the Gathering Place itself. Together it will be an unrivaled attraction for young families within at least a four hour drive of Tulsa.

Now to figure out parking...
Tulsan
Civic Leader

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 12:39:06 pm »

Here’s the site plan (from a Board of Adjustment meeting on 11/12/19, a mailing sent to neighbors related to parking issues).

erfalf
City Father

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 01:00:49 pm »

I'm excited. Will this replace what is now in Owen Park?

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
ComeOnBenjals
Civic Leader

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 01:48:16 pm »

Huge! Getting families with Kids to visit Tulsa is always good.. They like what they see... think about moving here... etc. etc.
Dspike
Activist

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 01:50:13 pm »

I'm excited. Will this replace what is now in Owen Park?

Yes.
Markk
Civic Leader

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 03:39:49 pm »

Building it right up against Riverside.  Imagine that!

Here’s the site plan (from a Board of Adjustment meeting on 11/12/19, a mailing sent to neighbors related to parking issues).

shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2020, 04:03:19 pm »

Yeah, I'm going to be that guy and say that's not nearly enough parking. Most of the time I'm against big parking lots like all good urbanists, but parking at GP sucks already and it's been an issue for the entire area. Add a huge new kids museum on top of that and I simply don't know how it's going to work with even less spaces. They simply need a big donkey parking garage, and they needed it before the place opened.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 04:25:31 pm »

Yeah, I'm going to be that guy and say that's not nearly enough parking. Most of the time I'm against big parking lots like all good urbanists, but parking at GP sucks already and it's been an issue for the entire area. Add a huge new kids museum on top of that and I simply don't know how it's going to work with even less spaces. They simply need a big donkey parking garage, and they needed it before the place opened.

I predict parking permits and validated parking for the Discovery Lab.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2020, 08:06:08 am »

Encourage Uber and more transit use. 

If we can build places that are very desirable to go to, Downtown (Guthrie Green/Arts District), Peoria BRT corridor (which connects to Cherry Street & the Pearl), 11th street BRT corridor, The Gathering Place, Transit from downtown toTthe Gathering Place.... and they all have the "parking problem" perhaps we can finally get people to begin using more Uber and Transit.

Really once you do either of those a few times, you can begin creating a new habit.  It's just getting peoples thoughts to "remember" the other options.  We use Uber all the time.

If the Mid-Town/Downtown and adjacent crowd (which is a significant number) can use those options more, it will free up parking for those who live further away. 

You don't want parking too convenient. You want to have a little pressure to get people to get that habit of using the other options. Once they do start using those options more, it begins to "bend the curve" grow the transit, grow the desirability and density, etc.

If we can't do it when the rewards are there to entice people, we certainly won't do it otherwise. Seize the opportunity.

You and I can be a part of helping that transition.  Tell your friends, "Hey lets Uber here and do dinner." etc.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Tulsan
Civic Leader

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2020, 02:01:44 pm »

Encourage Uber and more transit use. 

If we can build places that are very desirable to go to, Downtown (Guthrie Green/Arts District), Peoria BRT corridor (which connects to Cherry Street & the Pearl), 11th street BRT corridor, The Gathering Place, Transit from downtown toTthe Gathering Place.... and they all have the "parking problem" perhaps we can finally get people to begin using more Uber and Transit.

Really once you do either of those a few times, you can begin creating a new habit.  It's just getting peoples thoughts to "remember" the other options.  We use Uber all the time.

If the Mid-Town/Downtown and adjacent crowd (which is a significant number) can use those options more, it will free up parking for those who live further away. 

You don't want parking too convenient. You want to have a little pressure to get people to get that habit of using the other options. Once they do start using those options more, it begins to "bend the curve" grow the transit, grow the desirability and density, etc.

If we can't do it when the rewards are there to entice people, we certainly won't do it otherwise. Seize the opportunity.

You and I can be a part of helping that transition.  Tell your friends, "Hey lets Uber here and do dinner." etc.

You ever try to take an Uber with a 4 year old?
TulsaBeMore
Activist

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2020, 11:25:48 pm »

Are you all happy with the exterior design?  Does it capture the imagination of a child or creativity of what's inside...inspirational?  Or could it be a building that as easily could house a community college or an office? Just thinking of other children's museums across the county that bring more whimsy and wonder in building design. 
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2020, 01:05:31 pm »

I’m surprised they didn’t do a two level parking garage with one level underground.  I’m excited to see this part developed and not just a big open parking lot on Riverside.  When is the pedestrian bridge construction going to start?

And very excited about the future trail to Brookside along Crow Creek.  You can see the first portion of this trail in that site plan which will run underneath the Riverside bridge (to connect with the river trail) and along the south side of the museum eventually running East to Peoria.  Lots of potential with this connection for visitors to pair a trip to the museum/park with lunch or walking around Brookside without getting back in the car.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2020, 06:38:25 pm »

Are you all happy with the exterior design?  Does it capture the imagination of a child or creativity of what's inside...inspirational?  Or could it be a building that as easily could house a community college or an office? Just thinking of other children's museums across the county that bring more whimsy and wonder in building design. 

The outside could indeed use a bit more whimsy, but the inside, from what I can tell in the pics, is mind numbingly atrocious.  The latest and best "corporate, minimalist, bland" that money can buy.  But that's fine with me. Will just make the new DECOPOLIS look all the more enticing and the kids (and adult), science & learning activities we have there all the more fun and magical.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2020, 07:24:38 pm »

Are you all happy with the exterior design?  Does it capture the imagination of a child or creativity of what's inside...inspirational?  Or could it be a building that as easily could house a community college or an office? Just thinking of other children's museums across the county that bring more whimsy and wonder in building design.  

I liked the original design better but think it will still be a nice addition to the park and along Riverside.

An interior rendering of the main lobby area
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 07:33:36 pm by SXSW » Logged

Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2020, 09:11:16 am »

I’m surprised they didn’t do a two level parking garage with one level underground.  

Podium over parking is a great design but very expensive to implement due to the vertical transportation requirements for all visitors.

Additionally, I spent a lot of time on Boston Place when I was young,  My Grandmother's house backs up to the Gathering place and she had a shallow well for watering the lawn.  I remember replacing the sand point with my Dad one day, it was just one joint of pipe deep and to burry it we dug post hole a few feet deep and then jetted the sand point in by hooking a garden hose to the other end of the pipe and just pushing it down.  Point is the ground water is very shallow and is a real issue for any below grade structures in the area and the ground water gets higher (I've encountered it on projects at 6' in Jenks) when the river level is up for any period of time.

Vision 2025 Program Director - know the facts, www.Vision2025.info
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org