A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:27:25 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa Arts District Project Overview  (Read 15434 times)
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2019, 12:08:43 pm »

Sapulpa has a refurbished retro gas station just off of its downtown that looks really sweet. It didn't look like much before the historical society got ahold of it and remodeled it to historic appearance. A bit of paint, stucco and some signage and you'd be surprised how much that corner could come alive. I still say I wouldn't have minded Baird's plans for it, but either way as long as it eventually comes back into being a public space someday.

Just drove through the area after lunch, WPX is indeed starting already. Lots of piers and foundations going in as we speak.

Davenport has jumped another level and has started on the next. Really starting to be noticeable now.

The GKFF project is just a dirt pit with no construction equipment on site at the moment. Maybe waiting for the next contractor to start?
ComeOnBenjals
Civic Leader

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2019, 03:57:41 pm »

SXSW asks, and I provide  Grin. Expanded to include the area around ONEOK Field. Think it'll be fun to look at progress pictures every 3 months or so!

Jeff P
Civic Leader

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2019, 01:28:40 pm »

Awesome. Love seeing those surface parking lots go away!
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2019, 03:30:05 pm »

Awesome. Love seeing those surface parking lots go away!

Still some big ones left notably on Archer between Boston and Detroit, and the one on Main next to Coney Islander.

Are there any plans for the cool brick buildings next to The Gypsy at Cameron & Detroit?  I’ve always thought that would be a good spot for OSU to renovate and expand more into the Arts District.  Maybe something tech or research-related.  Its value definitely will increase once WPX is finished.

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2020, 03:31:54 pm »

Thought this deserved a place in this thread

Proposals for the TDA lot at Cameron & Main (NW Corner).  Does anyone have additional info on the applicants?  I prefer the first one but would be fine with either, I can't stand that eyesore of a block.

shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2020, 08:00:31 pm »

First design looks nice. Modern+brick with big windows is a pretty timeless combo.

Second design looks heavily inspired by the late 60's... and not in a good way. The street level is good, and I like the abundance of parking decks, but the upper floors look like an old budget motel.

Either way, it's super exciting to finally see this space filled. With the other developments, this is now a huge area of continuous street life and development.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2020, 08:21:17 pm »

The first one looks pretty great. I kinda hate the second one.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2020, 12:14:00 pm »

The first one looks pretty great. I kinda hate the second one.

I think you guys are crazy! That second one looks phenomenal, especially the building on the right with casement windows and a bit of streamline Art Deco style. That's the kind of bold architecture we need to make the Arts District have an even more unique flavor. That first photo looks about like any other downtown development anywhere in the country. Nice, but nothing memorable.

My favorite parts of OKC's downtown/midtown are in areas which have a bit of mid-century modern flair in the buildings, and that second design is a bit reminiscent of some of those. But it is probably the more expensive option and probably won't be built.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2020, 03:13:50 pm »

I think you guys are crazy! That second one looks phenomenal, especially the building on the right with casement windows and a bit of streamline Art Deco style. That's the kind of bold architecture we need to make the Arts District have an even more unique flavor. That first photo looks about like any other downtown development anywhere in the country. Nice, but nothing memorable.

My favorite parts of OKC's downtown/midtown are in areas which have a bit of mid-century modern flair in the buildings, and that second design is a bit reminiscent of some of those. But it is probably the more expensive option and probably won't be built.

The building on the right isn't the problem. The main building is stacked on a parking garage and has all the beauty of the of Cimarex building, but with brick!. It's terrible.
brettakins
Activist

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2023, 11:14:41 pm »

https://tulsaworld.com/business/local/full-block-of-parking-property-sold-in-tulsa-arts-district-with-eye-for-redevelopment/article_bd758750-8ba2-11ed-a245-138165b30825.html?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_Tulsa_World

APhiladelphia-based real estate company has purchased a full-block parking lot in the Tulsa Arts District.

But the buyer, Parkway Corp., envisions more for the property than just idle vehicles.

David Dobkin, managing director and head of acquisitions at Parkway, said it will create a master plan to determine the best way the surface lot at 115 N. Cheyenne Ave. can contribute to the area’s revitalization.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 11:18:16 pm by brettakins » Logged
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2023, 08:46:04 am »

Interesting, they seem to be more of a land bank developer so I doubt there’s any redevelopment of this lot for awhile.  But when they have developed they are quality mixed-use projects.

In other Arts District news, I’ve heard the Safeway building behind Gypsy may finally be renovated into new office/retail space later this year.  that’s one of the last empty buildings in the district.

Urban Enthusiast
Activist

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2023, 07:15:55 pm »

In other Arts District news, I’ve heard the Safeway building behind Gypsy may finally be renovated into new office/retail space later this year.  that’s one of the last empty buildings in the district.

I heard something similar a few months back, but recently heard it was off.  Maybe it's back on again.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2023, 09:04:17 am »

I heard something similar a few months back, but recently heard it was off.  Maybe it's back on again.

There was a plan to add apartments above the building that has been shelved.  The current plan is to rehab the building into boutique office and retail space.  Getting that whole block cleaned up will be a major improvement.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org