A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:36:59 pm
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WPX Downtown HQ  (Read 64630 times)
Dspike
Activist

« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2020, 01:00:42 pm »

That is precisely what Mayor Bynum's "A Better Way" program is built to do:

A new program to offer homeless people employment was launched in Tulsa.

The City of Tulsa, Mental Health Association Oklahoma and the Tulsa Area United Way will all be a part of "A Better Way."

The homeless will be offered a day's wage in exchange for beautifying the city.

A van will drive around in Tulsa to areas where homeless tend to congregate on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays to transport them to jobs.

https://www.kjrh.com/news/local-news/program-launched-to-employ-tulsa-homeless
tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2020, 08:54:19 am »

That is precisely what Mayor Bynum's "A Better Way" program is built to do:

https://www.kjrh.com/news/local-news/program-launched-to-employ-tulsa-homeless

That's great - I hadn't heard of it but it sounds like a good program. They should probably massively expand it and instead of giving people cash to go buy whatever, they give them vouchers that can only be used for food, clothing, and shelter. Or, offer them an actual 9-5 job with the city becoming their legal guardian in regard to how their paycheck can be spent. I understand there is no silver bullet to fixing homelessness and honestly not everyone wants a way out of that situation, but there needs to be a larger program in place that has various well-defined paths to becoming a functioning member of society for those that are serious about it. The rest we need to give Bus tickets to Dallas.  Grin
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2020, 09:10:09 am »

The next Vision sales tax package should have a funding source for homeless housing, IMO.  While it won’t solve the problem it would help get more of these people off the streets. 

DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2020, 11:36:11 am »

That's great - I hadn't heard of it but it sounds like a good program. They should probably massively expand it and instead of giving people cash to go buy whatever, they give them vouchers that can only be used for food, clothing, and shelter. Or, offer them an actual 9-5 job with the city becoming their legal guardian in regard to how their paycheck can be spent. I understand there is no silver bullet to fixing homelessness and honestly not everyone wants a way out of that situation, but there needs to be a larger program in place that has various well-defined paths to becoming a functioning member of society for those that are serious about it. The rest we need to give Bus tickets to Dallas.  Grin

No, limiting their use of money and acting like a parent is a horrible, horrible idea. Housing first. Provide everything needed to care for themselves. Hire social workers to help, not restrictive laws and bureaucratic paternalism. Sure, some will continue the cycle regardless of how much help you give, but that is not a reason to stop trying. The majority who are able to escape the cycle is well worth the investment.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2020, 09:07:18 am »

No, limiting their use of money and acting like a parent is a horrible, horrible idea. Housing first. Provide everything needed to care for themselves. Hire social workers to help, not restrictive laws and bureaucratic paternalism. Sure, some will continue the cycle regardless of how much help you give, but that is not a reason to stop trying. The majority who are able to escape the cycle is well worth the investment.

"but there needs to be a larger program in place that has various well-defined paths to becoming a functioning member of society for those that are serious about it. The rest we need to give Bus tickets to Dallas."

I think Tulsabug was being a little humorous there, but he (and you) are moving in the same direction.   There has to be both carrot and stick in any solution of this type.   I definitely agree with "housing first".  Leverage a work-fare or similar program where the first need addressed is a safe place to reside, at a minimum simply for overnight stays.   That will be a good start to a good process that can help a lot of people.  But as you note, there will be those who, either by choice or due to mental health or chemical dependency or other factors, will not leverage this opportunity.   Simply accepting that scenario is not an option, either.   The end goal is to get everyone off the street.  Provide the carrots, but we will need to utilize "sticks" as well in order to fully address the situation.

tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2020, 04:27:46 pm »

"but there needs to be a larger program in place that has various well-defined paths to becoming a functioning member of society for those that are serious about it. The rest we need to give Bus tickets to Dallas."

I think Tulsabug was being a little humorous there, but he (and you) are moving in the same direction.   There has to be both carrot and stick in any solution of this type.   I definitely agree with "housing first".  Leverage a work-fare or similar program where the first need addressed is a safe place to reside, at a minimum simply for overnight stays.   That will be a good start to a good process that can help a lot of people.  But as you note, there will be those who, either by choice or due to mental health or chemical dependency or other factors, will not leverage this opportunity.   Simply accepting that scenario is not an option, either.   The end goal is to get everyone off the street.  Provide the carrots, but we will need to utilize "sticks" as well in order to fully address the situation.

It does depend on the person. Giving someone with an alcohol or chemical dependency, especially those with self-destructive personalities, cash to do with what they will is just going to put them into the grave. Those people really do need a legal guardian as, when you hit a point with addiction, you don't have a choice any longer. That monkey will dictate that if you have money - you go buy more drugs or alcohol and nothing else. All I'm saying is the city can pay them in vouchers that can only be used for food and shelter - financial blinders if you will.

shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2020, 11:02:15 am »

They are still rocking along on this thing. They were working yesterday, on a Sunday.

5 stories now, and just about halfway to topping out.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2020, 08:44:23 am »

I don't get out as much as I used to (thanks Covid) but I was out last week and it was quite a sight to drive west on I-244 in towards downtown to see all the cranes up on the north side of downtown.  I think i counted four, but might be mistaken.  This is definitely a good thing to see.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2021, 04:56:37 pm »

6 floors already on the south side, which should be it for that side? I believe they are already a floor or two higher on the middle/north end.

Can't be too much longer until they top out and finish with the concrete work.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2021, 07:25:00 pm »

6 floors already on the south side, which should be it for that side? I believe they are already a floor or two higher on the middle/north end.

Can't be too much longer until they top out and finish with the concrete work.

It definitely makes an impact when driving down 244 and looking south toward downtown.

Laramie
City Father

« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2021, 11:46:47 am »

Hope they finish this project to its original specifications.  Six floors is definitely a good sign.  Once this pandemic show signs of clearing up, you'll see the growth trends return to the downtown area.

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2021, 01:10:23 pm »

With QuikTrip continuing to expand, it would be nice to see them with a downtown HQ, and this building would work, but I'm sure they are happy out in the burbs.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2021, 04:05:26 pm »

Hope they finish this project to its original specifications.  Six floors is definitely a good sign.  Once this pandemic show signs of clearing up, you'll see the growth trends return to the downtown area.

Hopefully the building was too far along at the time of the sale to Devon to make any material changes.  Or maybe some WPX execs had enough remaining Tulsa civic pride that they made finishing the building as designed part of the deal with Devon.

In any event, I am keeping my fingers crossed this building ends up like it was planned.
Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2021, 08:34:38 pm »

WPX and Devon have both said, before and after the merger, that the building would be completed. It would really make no sense to do otherwise. (If they complete the building, they have an asset that has some value and can be sold or leased with some, perhaps very diminished, return.  If they stopped construction, they would pretty much have to give it away or just keep it sitting on their books with continued costs and no return. There is no reason not to take them at their word.

AdamsHall
Civic Leader

« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2021, 09:53:31 am »

It appears they are working on the 8th floor now.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org