A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 05, 2020, 01:36:27 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will there ever be an expressway going through the city of Bixby in the future?  (Read 2781 times)
MostSeriousness
Civic Leader

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2019, 07:27:03 am »

You never go out past about 21st and Peoria?? 

It's a shared experience that does actually benefit all.  If you go by that logic, then downtown should receive the smallest bit of support from taxes, since it is what, maybe 3 or 4% of our metro land area?   Or maybe should just put a toll booth at 21st for anyone leaving town....

Not trying to go off on a tangent too much, but according to https://www.publicradiotulsa.org/post/analysis-downtown-tulsa-accounts-07-city-land-20-sales-tax-collections, Downtown is closer to half a percentage of the metro land area
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2019, 12:28:59 pm »

Not trying to go off on a tangent too much, but according to https://www.publicradiotulsa.org/post/analysis-downtown-tulsa-accounts-07-city-land-20-sales-tax-collections, Downtown is closer to half a percentage of the metro land area

That article stopped downtown at the inner dispersal loop.  I was giving it too big an area...

Am very curious about those offsets from business' with locations outside the loop.  Can't think of all of them now, but Coney Islander would be prime example - they gotta have some decent sales tax reporting with only one store downtown, but a whole bunch more outside the loop.  Since those numbers are all lumped together, that 20% is probably a little high.

And there is also massive blocks of land (my neighborhood for example) where there are no sales taxes, but the land makes up huge amount of metro area.  Can't see a great way to compare those things - apples and soybeans comparison...

We don't want to end up getting locally polarized by downtown/suburb isolationism, though.  I feel the 71st street bridge brought at the very least indirect benefit to me, so no complaint about it, even though it is far away and I virtually never cross it.  Same thing with Bixby - needs better access there.  But we have the same problem as our overall infrastructure issues -  growth for growth's sake with no regard for how to maintain/support it in the future.  And I know the running joke is, "that's a long ways off so we won't have to worry about it..."

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I donít share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2019, 12:42:53 pm »

Loosely tied to the idea of making stuff...I was looking around for architect this morning and found the TFA Tulsa Foundation for Architecture.  And the first link caught my eye - interesting article and the drawing from 1942 resonated.  Will be checking in from time to time to see if they are selling prints yet.

https://tulsaarchitecture.org/from-the-tfa-archives-tulsa-contributes-to-the-nation/

They also have another page that I can't find again that shows the result of Tulsa's Insanity over urban renewal.  It toggles back and forth between 1978 when most of the original buildings remained looking up Main, I think.  And 2005 when our "growth for growth's sake" obsession had decimated many of the old buildings and gave us such a wonderful landscape of parking lots!   Good work, Tulsa!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I donít share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org