A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:09:59 am
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 60   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The "this has nothing to do with Tulsa" mega-post  (Read 371133 times)
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #660 on: February 21, 2020, 01:51:49 pm »

FWIW, the Marriott family includes Ritz-Carlton, St. Regis, Edition and Luxury Collection flags.  There are about 44 of them in the US with 4 or 5 stars.

Also, contrary to your claim, there are at least 4 Autograph Collection hotels in the US on the "Recommended" list plus another 4 international locations.

I must have overlooked them, my apologies. I had a list open of all the Autograph hotels (of which there are many) and couldn't find any in NYC, Chicago or DC that were on the list, so just assumed it wasn't going to happen.

And I did forget about those other brands. Which until more-recent purchases were rather local hotels. These major hotel chains have so many brands and have become so diversified it is difficult to keep up. That being said, Autograph is not a top tier brand for them, really not even close to a top tier brand.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
Laramie
City Father

« Reply #661 on: February 21, 2020, 01:55:38 pm »

Oklahoma City Council established the MAPS 4 Citizens Advisory Board despite some concern about the name:  

Oklahoma Gazette: https://www.okgazette.com/oklahoma/maps-board/Content?oid=6993499

Councilwoman JoBeth Hamon wanted to change the word “citizens” to “residents” in an attempt to be more inclusive.

Oklahoma is very fortunate to have initiatives like OKC MAPS & Tulsa Vision 2025 where capital improvement projects were crafted.  It will be of interest
          to see the fruits of these projects as they are developed and how they will affect the future of Oklahoma's two largest cities.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 01:58:46 pm by Laramie » Logged

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire
rebound
City Father

« Reply #662 on: February 24, 2020, 12:15:43 pm »

Quote from: Oil Capital on February 21, 2020, 01:22:42 pm
FWIW, the Marriott family includes Ritz-Carlton, St. Regis, Edition and Luxury Collection flags.  There are about 44 of them in the US with 4 or 5 stars.

Also, contrary to your claim, there are at least 4 Autograph Collection hotels in the US on the "Recommended" list plus another 4 international locations.

---------
I must have overlooked them, my apologies. I had a list open of all the Autograph hotels (of which there are many) and couldn't find any in NYC, Chicago or DC that were on the list, so just assumed it wasn't going to happen.

And I did forget about those other brands. Which until more-recent purchases were rather local hotels. These major hotel chains have so many brands and have become so diversified it is difficult to keep up. That being said, Autograph is not a top tier brand for them, really not even close to a top tier brand.

And with the combing of the Starwood Group with Marriott, there are now all the luxury W hotels and related on that side as well.  The Marriott group is huge.
I'm a big fan of the Autograph Collection.   It's kind of the grab-bag for all the cool individual boutique hotels that Marriott brings into their group.  And depending on the hotel (and how creative you get with discounts), they can be a good value for a weekend night somewhere.   

I'm still appalled that OK doesn't have even one "Recommended" level hotel in the state.  If this new hotel can fix that, awesome.

Laramie
City Father

« Reply #663 on: February 25, 2020, 11:02:40 am »

Oklahoma Contemporary Arts Center construction update.

Above pics via OKCTalk.com

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #664 on: February 25, 2020, 11:40:00 am »

That sign is really hard to read on that facade.

I read it as "Oklahoma Temporary Arts Center'
Laramie
City Father

« Reply #665 on: February 25, 2020, 12:16:12 pm »

Oklahoma City Convention Center Complex

What will become of the Cox Convention Center once the new Convention Center & 605 room Omni Oklahoma City Hotel opens...

The agreement the city has with Omni says the city will no longer use the Cox Convention Center as the main convention center one year after the Omni opens.  The arena inside the cox is used by the G-League Oklahoma City Blue development team for the Thunder, Bart & Nadia Experience which involves gymnastics and multiple events use the Cox Center, these events probably won't be affected.  SMG will be the management group for the new Oklahoma City Convention Center, Cox Convention Center,  Civic Center Music Hall and the Bennett Events Center & the yet to be constructed State Fair Coliseum apart of $978 million MAPS 4 initiatives passed in December 2019.

Possibilities are that we won't know until years after the new convention center opens.  The City of Oklahoma City is currently evaluating its use as possibly an overflow facility should the new convention center need additional space--which puts OKC in a situation where some tier II conventions may require more space.  The new convention center was built with potential expansion in mind.  There's also room for the Omni to expand south of the convention center complex.  OKC will have 3,300 quality hotel room within walking distance of the new convention center.

The new convention center complex will have $635 million of new construction most of which were funded by the MAPS 3 Initiative passed in 2009.

Laramie
City Father

« Reply #666 on: February 25, 2020, 12:22:32 pm »

That sign is really hard to read on that facade.

I read it as "Oklahoma Temporary Arts Center'

You guys just running me up a tree...
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 12:58:30 pm by Laramie » Logged

Laramie
City Father

« Reply #667 on: February 26, 2020, 12:52:58 pm »

Costco plans second Oklahoma City metro store in Moore.

Success of the new OKC Costco store on Western Avenue & Memorial Road, plans are in the works for a Moore store off Telephone Road & I-35 Service Road providing easy access from Norman & South Oklahoma City. Construction should start in the fall of 2020 with a March-April 2021 opening.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #668 on: February 26, 2020, 08:56:30 pm »

Costco plans second Oklahoma City metro store in Moore.

Success of the new OKC Costco store on Western Avenue & Memorial Road, plans are in the works for a Moore store off Telephone Road & I-35 Service Road providing easy access from Norman & South Oklahoma City. Construction should start in the fall of 2020 with a March-April 2021 opening.

Ha!   There is no easy access from Norman & S Okc now - the roads are always busy/full!   

Where would that be?   Telephone and I-35 are parallel all the way up to past N 5th...that is gonna be an exciting traffic situation, too, if they put it up there!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Laramie
City Father

« Reply #669 on: February 28, 2020, 02:30:59 pm »

Ha!   There is no easy access from Norman & S Okc now - the roads are always busy/full!   

Where would that be?   Telephone and I-35 are parallel all the way up to past N 5th...that is gonna be an exciting traffic situation, too, if they put it up there!

Interesting perspective you have on I-35 corridor from South Oklahoma City to Moore (between) to Norman.  True, there is no easy access between the three cities.  A Costco location here much like the Moore WinCo Grocery in a service area that will make it accessible from I-35 between South Oklahoma City & Norman.   

I-35 Corridor Construction and Delays: ODOT Oklahoma Department of Transportation https://www.ok.gov/odot/I-35_Corridor_Projects.html

Laramie
City Father

« Reply #670 on: February 29, 2020, 08:40:26 pm »

This So-Called Flyover City Is Having a Serious Cultural
and Culinary Renaissance

By Becki Iverson
                Published On 02/26/2020

Thrillist:  https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation/things-to-do-in-oklahoma-city

Oklahoma City's neighborhoods embrace the past while
adapting for the present

Laramie
City Father

« Reply #671 on: March 05, 2020, 03:59:15 pm »

ODOT To Replace Bridges Along I-40 In SE Oklahoma City

I-40 W/E, I-35 N/S 'Dallas' junction is among the most heavily traveled interchanges in the state. 

Resurfacing I-40 between I-35 and Sooner Road is the first step before replacing each bridge. Crews will narrow I-40 to two lanes in each direction later this month. The project is expected to take up to 45 days.

The resurfacing will cost $1.4 million. If the Oklahoma Transportation Commission approves a separate bridge project in April, the state will pay $82 million. This project is expected to start after approval in early summer and would take 2 ˝ years to complete. ODOT said this is a busy area with over 70,000 drivers using the roadway.

News 9 video:  https://www.news9.com/story/41854510/odot-to-replace-bridges-along-i40-in-se-oklahoma-city

Laramie
City Father

« Reply #672 on: March 05, 2020, 04:49:54 pm »

Proposed $100 million, new Oklahoma City State Fair Coliseum
(Funded by MAPS 4 sales tax.)

The coliseum will have flexible seating where 1,500 won't feel out-of-place in a 4,700 fixed seat venue & temporary expandable seating: 1,000 lower/1,600 upper level retractable seats for basketball and ice hockey.  

As mentioned, the horse show events are committed to the new arena's parking & accommodations.  It will be a boom to the Oklahoma City Meridian hotel corridor where there are 2,500 hotel rooms available with more planned apart of future construction.

A nationally recognized expert in large public venue consulting calculated that a new State Fair Park Coliseum would generate more than $230 million a year in direct spending and more than $400 million a year in total

Bennett Event Center will have modest accommodations for the exhibits OKC will attract.

The new coliseum will be home to high school basketball playoffs; possibly a home for the Oklahoma City Blue and have the flexibility to be used for amateur & AA ice hockey (7,300 seats) since the city has built its own dasher boards; also ice plants were installed in State Fair Arena, The Peake, Cox Convention Center (aka Myriad).

The flexible coliseum won't have any trouble being booked for events once the doors open.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 04:59:38 pm by Laramie » Logged

Laramie
City Father

« Reply #673 on: March 10, 2020, 02:02:23 pm »

Oklahoma City scores with Top 10 ranking among ‘Best Cities for Basketball Fans’

WalletHub ranked Oklahoma City #7 out of 291 of the most populated cities nationwide for the best cities for basketball fans.

In terms of the NBA, Oklahoma City was ranked #5 for best cities for basketball fans.

WalletHub used a total of 21 metrics to help determine the best cities for basketball fans. Each metric was graded on a 100-point scale, with 100 representing the most favorable   
    conditions for basketball fandom.

These metrics consisted of looking at top-performing teams, revenues and traditions, fan attendance and engagement, and much more.

Link: https://www.velocityokc.com/blog/economy/oklahoma-city-scores-with-top-10-ranking-among-best-cities-for-basketball-fans/?back=super_blog

Laramie
City Father

« Reply #674 on: March 10, 2020, 07:40:55 pm »

MEMORIES

2008-09 NBA Supersonics relocated to Oklahoma City/Saving Grace starring Holly Hunter.

HOLLY HUNTER

Theme song:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxu21fYnKMw

Why did saving grace get Cancelled?

On August 13, 2009, the show's producer, Fox Television Studios, canceled the series, despite its high ratings, due to disappointing overseas and DVD sales. TNT had originally ordered a split 15-episode third season, with nine episodes to be aired in the summer and six to be aired in the winter of 2009.

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 60   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org