A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:22:18 am
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 60   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The "this has nothing to do with Tulsa" mega-post  (Read 367671 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #645 on: February 19, 2020, 01:11:48 pm »

Forbes would have to be the standard.  But either way,  calling a hotel Five-Star before it is built is a bit "presumptuous". 

I did not know that Oklahoma did not have at least a four-star hotel in the state.  Heck, we don't even have a "recommended", and I think we are getting shafted a bit there.   I have stayed at some of the recommended-level hotels in TX and while they are nice, I wasn't just blown away by, say, the Joule in Dallas. (But it is really nice.)  I'm surprised at least one of the Mayo or Ambassador in Tulsa, or the Skirvin or Colcord in OKC didn't make the recommended level.

I guess though,  I have a personal bias.  I like old and/or funky, boutique-type hotels more than pure luxury.

Stayed at the Pfister Hotel in MKE a couple of times...that would qualify as solid 4 to me.  Nice little place.

Stayed at some place in Chicago one time - can't remember name - was supposed to be very high end luxury place that charged over $400 a night.  I didn't have to pay for it - someone else's expense report.   It was a hotel.  Nicer wood trim than most.   Still just a hotel.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #646 on: February 19, 2020, 09:06:08 pm »

I did not know that Oklahoma did not have at least a four-star hotel in the state.  Heck, we don't even have a "recommended", and I think we are getting shafted a bit there.   I have stayed at some of the recommended-level hotels in TX and while they are nice, I wasn't just blown away by, say, the Joule in Dallas. (But it is really nice.)  I'm surprised at least one of the Mayo or Ambassador in Tulsa, or the Skirvin or Colcord in OKC didn't make the recommended level.

I guess though,  I have a personal bias.  I like old and/or funky, boutique-type hotels more than pure luxury.

I actually wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Pawhuska got one on the list before Tulsa or OKC.

https://www.frontierhotelpawhuska.com/

And yes, Forbes seems to be the standard (at least for star ratings).

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
Laramie
City Father

« Reply #647 on: February 20, 2020, 07:38:31 pm »

Five best 4-Star Hotels in Oklahoma City:
TripAdviosr:  https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g51560-zfc4-Oklahoma_City_Oklahoma-Hotels.html

Colcord Hotel

21c Museum Hotel Oklahoma City

The Skirvin Hilton Oklahoma City

Renaissance Oklahoma City Convention Center Hotel

Ambassador Hotel Oklahoma City, Autograph Collection

Renaissance Waterford Oklahoma City Hotel  4-star hotel, 6300 Waterford Blvd, Oklahoma City, OK 73118•(405) 848-4782
https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/okcbw-renaissance-waterford-oklahoma-city-hotel/?scid=bb1a189a-fec3-4d19-a255-54ba596febe2

Best 4 Star Hotels in Tulsa: Some of the State's most beautiful 4 star hotels. https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk01XnFB_A3Mh7qPqbsJ74CXcbsQyvw%3A1582249367886&source=hp&ei=lzVPXuySM4SYsQWSq5XABQ&q=best+4+star+hotels+in+tulsa+oklahoma&oq=Best+4+star+hotels+in+Tulsa&gs_l=psy-ab.1.1.33i22i29i30l2.1827.14142..17214...1.0..0.1163.5882.7j12j5j1j1j1j0j1....2..0....1..gws-wiz.......35i39j0i67j0i395j0i131i395j0i20i263i395j0i67i395j0j0i20i263j0i22i30.iRno5HPd-uI

« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 08:14:55 pm by Laramie » Logged

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire
Laramie
City Father

« Reply #648 on: February 20, 2020, 08:01:00 pm »

Coming soon:  $287 million renovation
First National Center.

First National Center 2021: TIF District  
News 9 video: https://www.news9.com/story/40232869/developer-gives-first-look-at-hotel-rooms-apartments-at-first-national-in-downtown-okc

(Marriott Autograph 5 star hotel)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 08:13:08 pm by Laramie » Logged

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire
Laramie
City Father

« Reply #649 on: February 20, 2020, 08:27:11 pm »

OKLAHOMA CITY CONVENTION &

VISITORS BUREAU UNVIELS

NEW BRANDING IDENTITY FOR OKLAHOMA CITY

Velocity:  https://www.velocityokc.com/blog/economy/oklahoma-city-convention-visitors-bureau-unveils-new-branding-identity-for-oklahoma-city

rebound
City Father

« Reply #650 on: February 21, 2020, 10:54:50 am »

Five best 4-Star Hotels in Oklahoma City:
Yeah, no.   From a personal perspective, I do check the ratings on Expedia, TripAdvisor, etc.  So in relative terms these are obviously good hotels and rated well by people who stay there.  But when claiming something like "five star hotel", it has to be based on a common metric, and the industry standard is, for now, Forbes. 

Kind of like claiming a restaurant is three-star, but not using Michelin.   Doesn't mean the place isn't good, but we need to know what metric they are using.

Laramie
City Father

« Reply #651 on: February 21, 2020, 12:07:16 pm »

Yeah, no.   From a personal perspective, I do check the ratings on Expedia, TripAdvisor, etc.  So in relative terms these are obviously good hotels and rated well by people who stay there.  But when claiming something like "five star hotel", it has to be based on a common metric, and the industry standard is, for now, Forbes.  

Kind of like claiming a restaurant is three-star, but not using Michelin.   Doesn't mean the place isn't good, but we need to know what metric they are using.

Marriott Autograph 5 star hotel...

Think about the amount of money being invested into this project which has balooned in the $300 million range since they released that video--plus $45 million in TIF fund from OKC.  You think they are going to play on words like 5 star hotel if they are not. Your brand means more than stealing a star--there are standards you have to meet to achieve the 5 star brand with papers to back that up.  Theses are brands and flags that's backed by Marriott--you don't just claim to be a *****5 star***** hotel when you aren't; you'd have so many lawsuits filed by Marriott you wouldn't be able to sleep--whether you open or not.   Think about it.  

So true, they aren't open; however scheduled to open in 2021. There are tons of planning & marketing ahead for a hotel on this scale. The magnitude to which you don't risk your investment over being a 5 star vs. a 4 star.

Personally, this hotel will be out-of-my-league.  My travels allows me to patronize a Four Points or Holiday Inn Express--I'm not losing any sleep over a $55 bed vs a $290 bed; no shame in my game--wouldn't get any sleep thinking I shelled out a ton of money to impress someone about things I can't afford unless I were a con artist, my funds will only stretch so far--beat me, beat me and call me CHEAP.  Grin

There are better things to spend my money on.   Apparently there's a market for a Marriott Autograph 5-star hotel in Oklahoma.  

As for Forbes, they're a reliable & reputable souce 95% of the time--it's that 5% where something slips through the cracks.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 12:21:36 pm by Laramie » Logged

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #652 on: February 21, 2020, 12:14:13 pm »

Marriott Autograph 5 star hotel...

Think about the amount of money being invested into this project which has balooned in the $300 million range since they released that video--plus $45 million in TIF fund from OKC.  You think they are going to play on words like 5 star hotel if they are not. Your brand means more than stealing a star--there are standards you have to meet to achieve the 5 star brand with papers to back that up.  Theses are brands and flags that's backed by Marriott--you don't just claim to be a *****5 star***** hotel when you aren't; you'd have so many lawsuits filed by Marriott you wouldn't be able to sleep--whether you open or not.   Think about it.  

Sued for what exactly?

And if developers were sued for hyperbolic statements, well, there'd be no developers and Trump would be homeless living in a van down by the river.
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #653 on: February 21, 2020, 12:14:34 pm »

This will not make the Forbes list....probably ever. I would bet my life it would never get a four star rating. The company's other hotels have a better shot at that.

And look, the Renaissance Oklahoma City Convention Center Hotel is a fine hotel. A four star hotel it is not. It's no different than a Embassy Suites or something like that. There are zillions of those establishments. They are all fine places. But they are not incredibly unique in their quality.

Haven't personally stayed at the other ones. I'm sure they are also very nice. And will probably get 4 and 5 stars on Trip Advisor. But claiming this is going to be a five star is ludicrous. It's playing on people's ignorance. Hoping they don't understand what it truly takes to be ranked as one of the finest hotels in the world.

erfalf
City Father

« Reply #654 on: February 21, 2020, 12:19:44 pm »

Also for the record, Marriott Autograph collection isn't exactly in the business of providing world class hotels either. Good hotels, yes. Great hotels, sure. World class...not so much.

Right now Marriott has 3 4-Stars on the list. All are in China. They have a slew of recommended properties, but not one is an Autograph collection. JW Marriott is their flagship "brand".

Laramie
City Father

« Reply #655 on: February 21, 2020, 12:27:24 pm »

My own personal opinion on these stars; I'll be seeing stars if I ever shelled out that much money to stay in one...

Laramie
City Father

« Reply #656 on: February 21, 2020, 01:01:07 pm »

Updated pics on Omni Oklahoma City & Oklahoma City Convention Center via OKCTalk.com

The Oklahoma City convention center is scheduled to open in late 2020 and the Omni in early 2021 at which time the 1,100 space convention center garage will open.  Oklahoma City convention center complex has around $635 million invested in this complex:

$288 million Oklahoma City Convention Center
          $ 25 million 1,100 space Convention Center Garage
          $241 million 605 room, Omni Oklahoma City
          $ 81 million 133 room, Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott

My personal opinion on this project--OKC should have gone with a study that suggested a 735 room hotel to anchor this project:

"Texas consultant Jeremy Stone's study, compiled though visits with local hoteliers and analysis of local hospitality data, reports five full-service, “competitive” hotels enjoyed average room occupancy of 75.6 percent, with an average daily room rate of $129 in 2012..."

"...They also report that construction of the hotel will create 2,455 local jobs and generate $300 million in economic activity. The hotel operation, meanwhile, is forecast to create and sustain 674 local jobs with an increase to local economic output by $669 million..."

Study suggests Oklahoma City can support $200 million, 735-room conference hotel:  https://oklahoman.com/article/3914440/study-suggests-oklahoma-city-can-support-200-million-735-room-conference-hotel 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 01:14:12 pm by Laramie » Logged

Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #657 on: February 21, 2020, 01:22:42 pm »

Also for the record, Marriott Autograph collection isn't exactly in the business of providing world class hotels either. Good hotels, yes. Great hotels, sure. World class...not so much.

Right now Marriott has 3 4-Stars on the list. All are in China. They have a slew of recommended properties, but not one is an Autograph collection. JW Marriott is their flagship "brand".

FWIW, the Marriott family includes Ritz-Carlton, St. Regis, Edition and Luxury Collection flags.  There are about 44 of them in the US with 4 or 5 stars.

Also, contrary to your claim, there are at least 4 Autograph Collection hotels in the US on the "Recommended" list plus another 4 international locations.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 01:24:50 pm by Oil Capital » Logged

Laramie
City Father

« Reply #658 on: February 21, 2020, 01:23:42 pm »

Devon Tower glass replacement project update

Worker on Wednesday, February 19 install new glass panels to replace those damaged in the window washing incident.--pic via OKCTalk.com

Laramie
City Father

« Reply #659 on: February 21, 2020, 01:26:14 pm »

FWIW, the Marriott family includes Ritz-Carlton, St. Regis, Edition and Luxury Collection flags.  There are about 44 of them in the US with 4 or 5 stars.

Also, contrary to your claim, there are at least 4 Autograph Collection hotels in the US on the "Recommended" list.

Excellent point...

Of which I listed one...

My only claim was the limited knowledge research on this project--it's not padding my pocket book nor will I stay in a 5 star hotel or loose any sleep over this.  Not my cup of tea.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 01:34:37 pm by Laramie » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 60   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org