A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:54:24 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 60   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The "this has nothing to do with Tulsa" mega-post  (Read 367417 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2018, 05:15:41 pm »

Blah, blah, blah, blah, OKC, blah, blah, blah, OKC, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, OKC...  Roll Eyes

No kidding...!!   We just opened Gathering Place.  I haven't stopped in yet, but have driven by and it looks impressive.  OKC doesn't have that.  Or anything really like it...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2018, 08:38:42 am »

No kidding...!!   We just opened Gathering Place.  I haven't stopped in yet, but have driven by and it looks impressive.  OKC doesn't have that.  Or anything really like it...

Right? They had to *make* a river. IMO, OKC doesn't have anything over Tulsa other than having the Thunder.
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2018, 09:53:59 am »

I don't think Laramie is trying to make this into an OKC vs. Tulsa thing. Just showcasing some interesting OKC developments in lieu of this IKEA thing that may or may not happen.

My suggestion: move this thread and rename it OKC Developments.
Laramie
City Father

« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2018, 11:10:59 am »

I don't think Laramie is trying to make this into an OKC vs. Tulsa thing. Just showcasing some interesting OKC developments in lieu of this IKEA thing that may or may not happen.

My suggestion: move this thread and rename it OKC Developments.

Thank you, savethewhales

Just happy to see both cities showing a lot of progress of late with bright futures ahead.  

Tulsa's Gathering Place is every bit of 1st class, big league and second-to-none among any city park you will see in North America. The Jenks' Aquarium have us rethinking what we can do with our OKC Zoo Aquarium.  Our Zoo is funded by a dedicated 1/8 cent permanent sales tax for capital improvements; they have managed the money well for 28 years ($6-$12 million annually since 1990) with a number of new exhibits--total transformation. OKC Zoo: https://www.okczoo.org/

Both cities have MSA that exceed 1 million with urban/metro population growth; most U.S. cities are not seeing a growth in both urban & metro populations.

Tulsa has three 500 room hotels;  all primed for conventions.  OKC demolished a 25 story 600 room historic and vacant Biltmore in 1977.  In 1975, 2 years after we built the Myriad Convention Center we only had one 395 room DT first class hotel; couldn't book conventions because we didn't have the hotel room accommodations.

Those of you who are old enough to remember the 70s-80s decades, Oklahoma City was the pits; undoubtedly the biggest, nastiest, raggediest town in the U.S.  1993 MAPS initiative was our revitalization--it saved our city.   Progress for Oklahoma's two largest cities is great for Oklahoma; it creates competition between both cities--that's great.    

« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 11:18:21 am by Laramie » Logged

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire
PhiAlpha
Citizen

« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2018, 05:05:52 pm »

No kidding...!!   We just opened Gathering Place.  I haven't stopped in yet, but have driven by and it looks impressive.  OKC doesn't have that.  Or anything really like it...

Hey now we do have a $132 million park currently being built downtown that will connect downtown to the river. It won’t be as nice as the gathering place (that’s what twice the money gets you), but it will still be a nice park and will have the advantage of being located downtown which will help it spur more urban development than the gathering place will. It will also be bordered by the new Omni and Convention Center. Two different types of parks both with their own advantages.

https://www.okc.gov/government/maps-3/projects/downtown-public-park

« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 05:13:41 pm by PhiAlpha » Logged
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2018, 06:13:40 pm »

Hey now we do have a $132 million park currently being built downtown that will connect downtown to the river. It won’t be as nice as the gathering place (that’s what twice the money gets you), but it will still be a nice park and will have the advantage of being located downtown which will help it spur more urban development than the gathering place will. It will also be bordered by the new Omni and Convention Center. Two different types of parks both with their own advantages.

https://www.okc.gov/government/maps-3/projects/downtown-public-park

Yeah...they have some very cool stuff there...but it's still OKC.  Just a flat place on the prairie.  Overall, not even close to Northeast OK in interest, beauty, or quality of life.  (I have spent the majority of my time for the last 11+ years "living" in OKC area.  Oh, yeah - almost forgot - they have North Pole City...that is cooler than any store in Tulsa area!!  Like a very small 'Decorators Warehouse' from Arlington, TX.)

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
PhiAlpha
Citizen

« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2018, 07:14:59 pm »

Yeah...they have some very cool stuff there...but it's still OKC.  Just a flat place on the prairie.  Overall, not even close to Northeast OK in interest, beauty, or quality of life.  (I have spent the majority of my time for the last 11+ years "living" in OKC area.  Oh, yeah - almost forgot - they have North Pole City...that is cooler than any store in Tulsa area!!  Like a very small 'Decorators Warehouse' from Arlington, TX.)

That’s your opinion. I’ve lived it both, the quantity of life and amenities are almost identical.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2018, 06:13:13 am »

That’s your opinion. I’ve lived it both, the quantity of life and amenities are almost identical.

We'll agree to disagree then.  I spent every weekend in the OKC metro while I was married (in laws) and while there were things to do, it reminded me of a ghost town.  Spread out way too much.  If I recall, at one point OKC was the largest city in the country.  In regards to land area, not population obviously.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
PhiAlpha
Citizen

« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2018, 07:17:23 am »

We'll agree to disagree then.  I spent every weekend in the OKC metro while I was married (in laws) and while there were things to do, it reminded me of a ghost town.  Spread out way too much.  If I recall, at one point OKC was the largest city in the country.  In regards to land area, not population obviously.

Not sure where you were spending your time or when you were spending it here, but I live in downtown OKC and spend most of my time in Tulsa around downtown/midtown. Your experience does not reflect what I’ve seen between both cities. I have noticed that for the most part, people like the city they grew up in more than the other. I’ve also noticed, at least among my friends or people I’ve met in both cities, that Tulsans tend to compare Tulsa to OKC A LOT, often taking shots at OKC when I mention I’m from here or in general conversations, while for the most part people in OKC all but forget that Tulsa exists. I’m obviously not one of those people since I spend a lot of time between the two and enjoy what both have to offer but the inferiority complex or competition that Tulsans seem to have with OKC has always been comical to me. This thread is a good example lol.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 07:24:23 am by PhiAlpha » Logged
PhiAlpha
Citizen

« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2018, 07:46:57 am »

I may have to go to OKC Talk...they have "Eric"...  seems like a person in search of enlightenment.

And GaryOKC6... flat out lying, so I know he is a Trump Minion.   Saying his 401k has nearly doubled since Trump took office.   If it was strictly Amazon or Tesla, maybe yeah.  But no 401 is gonna have just those two options.  

Could be interesting as much time as I spend there.

Your characterization of OKCTalk is interesting lol. Though in seriousness I try to follow Tulsa developments and I wish this site was half of what Pete’s built in OKCTalk. He has threads or articles on every development, restaurant, retail venue, etc in any stage of planning or construction througout OKC. Over the last few years, I’ve seen construction sites in downtown Tulsa and have spent a decent amount of time here trying to figure out what was being built but often have had to look elsewhere. I’ve honestly had better luck getting info from OKCTalk’s Tulsa thread. Even my friends that are involved in TYPros or generally try to follow development in both cities have had similar criticisms. Tulsa has a lot of developments to keep up with now, TulsaNow needs to step up its game!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 07:50:03 am by PhiAlpha » Logged
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2018, 07:49:03 am »

Hey now we do have a $132 million park currently being built downtown that will connect downtown to the river. It won’t be as nice as the gathering place (that’s what twice the money gets you),

That project sounds really cool! The Gathering Place was a $465 million project btw so about triple the investment. A big difference being that it's a bit outside downtown rather than connecting downtown to the river. OKC has done a good job putting nice parks in the downtown, especially with the botanical gardens.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2018, 07:52:35 am »

So have I.   Yeah, the quantity is probably almost identical.  It's quality and/or ambience' of surrounding area that is dramatically different...

PhiAlpha
Citizen

« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2018, 07:55:56 am »

That project sounds really cool! The Gathering Place was a $465 million project btw so about triple the investment. A big difference being that it's a bit outside downtown rather than connecting downtown to the river. OKC has done a good job putting nice parks in the downtown, especially with the botanical gardens.

I hope ours ends up even a third as nice as the gathering place. I’ve already been a few times and it’s impressive!

Really wish we had a Kaiser like person dumping money into our projects. Aubrey McClendon was similar for awhile but he couldn’t come close to George Kaiser. Our park was completley privately funded. The rest of the $777 million raised for MAPS was spent on the convention center across the street, white water facility, street car, various trail improvements throughout the city and other projects.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2018, 08:00:33 am »

Your characterization of OKCTalk is interesting lol. Though in seriousness I try to follow Tulsa developments and I wish this site was half of what Pete’s built in OKCTalk. He has threads or articles on every development, restaurant, retail venue, etc in any stage of planning or construction througout OKC. Over the last few years, I’ve seen construction sites in downtown Tulsa and have spent a decent amount of time here trying to figure out what was being built but often have had to look elsewhere. I’ve honestly had better luck getting info from OKCTalk’s Tulsa thread. Even my friends that are involved in TYPros or generally try to follow development in both cities have had similar criticisms. Tulsa has a lot of developments to keep up with now, TulsaNow needs to step up its game!

I wasn't characterizing OKCTalk.  

Seems like an interesting site, and I said I may well have to sign up to contribute there, too.  Am interested in seeing what Pete is up to.  Wonder if he will approve me to join.??

I WAS specifically talking about two participants there.  Different thing from OKCTalk...

TulsaNow does need to upgrade in at least one area - this forum in particular - it doesn't have https: security.  I don't know anything about the running of this show, but get the feel that it is volunteers with limited budget and IT support...??  Nice little place to come visit.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 08:06:00 am by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

PhiAlpha
Citizen

« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2018, 08:02:40 am »

So have I.   Yeah, the quantity is probably almost identical.  It's quality and/or ambience' of surrounding area that is dramatically different...

Yes Tulsa has slightly more topography and i agree that overall its prettier but it’s not like you’re living in Yellowstone or something. The nice historic neighborhoods (heritage hills, Mesta Park, Crownheights, Edgemere Park, Nichols Hills, etc) all look about the same to me, have big nice old trees and rolling hills just like all of Tulsa’s nice areas. Same for both cities’ nicer suburbs like Norman and Edmond vs Owasso, Jenks, and BA. I would say South Tulsa has a big leg up on the suburban parts of OKC.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 60   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org