A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 07:01:53 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Giant Video Billboard at 41st & Yale  (Read 21482 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2018, 09:23:14 pm »

I don't think there is an answer, you would like to think common sense would figure in there somewhere, but we all know that doesn't happen. Best answer, follow the money.

Maybe right. Maybe the answer is in deterrence.  If a business gets a reputation for using tribal loopholes to do an end-run around the city, the city might remember that the next time that business asks for a variance or pleads hardship.
Maybe there will be a non-binding resolution...

I would make a terrible politician.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2018, 08:51:32 am »

I disagree with the billboard, but that's my opinion.

I'm guessing that's OU's opinion as well  (OU Schusterman center at 41st & Yale).
I live ¾ mile from this billboard and spotted it on Saturday.  It's huge, it's hideous.  I'll be boycotting any business that advertises on it.  
Thank you OU for getting this removed  (premature, but I'm confident).

Edit:  Ugh... I see OU's advertising on the billboard..  Boren was huge on aesthetics
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 08:58:53 am by BKDotCom » Logged
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2018, 09:50:36 am »

<snip> I'll be boycotting any business that advertises on it.<snip>

Let's start a list!
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2018, 10:05:16 am »

Maybe right. Maybe the answer is in deterrence.  If a business gets a reputation for using tribal loopholes to do an end-run around the city, the city might remember that the next time that business asks for a variance or pleads hardship.
Maybe there will be a non-binding resolution...

I would make a terrible politician.

The only reason you would make a bad politician is that you won't compromise your principles and common sense to try and appease everyone, and this is a good thing.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2018, 11:51:40 am »

I'm against all billboard on city streets, video and non-video. Maybe along highways they a little bit acceptable but not on streets towering over neighborhoods. I also think we should stop allowing commercial sings on poles.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2018, 12:12:35 pm »

Let's start a list!

Just from Local news stories you see:

St Jude Children's Research Hospital
Riddle Plant Farm and Landscaping
Gordon Outdoor Advertising
OU Physicians
Eyemart Express
Mothers Against Drunk Driving
Green Country Federal Credit Union
Tulsa Fraternal Order of Police
Perini Eyecare
Enterline Law Firm
Crushed Red
Six Guns Construction
Ben Fu for District Attorney
Gada Homes

« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 04:19:19 pm by patric » Logged

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2018, 12:44:47 pm »

It gets pretty complicated, but if the land is a restricted allotment it may require approval by the BIA or a Tulsa County Court to enter into a lease  like the billboard company lease.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2018, 09:32:38 am »

There is something similar in BA at the corner of 81st and Main street, across from their PAC.  Smoke shop with a HUGE billboard very low to the ground - bottom edge maybe 10-12 ft from ground.  I could stand on the roof of my pickup and touch the bottom of it.

I make it a point to note the advertisers on stuff like that and when I am in the market for whatever they are selling, call them to let them know I won't consider them, and why.  I know it iwll never make a difference, but it at least lets them know someone is watching and paying attention.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2018, 08:52:56 am »

The World finally figured out this story

https://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagelatest/billboard-near-st-and-yale-on-native-owned-land-draws/article_7b5232df-93c6-5c6f-8bf3-f5a9d0f271c0.html
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2018, 10:20:55 am »

They should share their love by adding audio.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2018, 11:36:22 am »

They should share their love by adding audio.

NOISE ORDINANCES??  WHAT NOISE ORDINANCES???
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2018, 11:47:51 am »

I don't understand how this is "restricted" Indian land.  That term generally means that title is in held by the United States in trust for the tribe, or the Tribe owns it subject to federally mandated restrictions against alienation.  In either situation, the Bureau of Indian Affairs must approve sales, leases, etc.  I don't see where the BIA was involved in this at all. 
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2018, 12:03:21 pm »

I don't understand how this is "restricted" Indian land.  That term generally means that title is in held by the United States in trust for the tribe, or the Tribe owns it subject to federally mandated restrictions against alienation.  In either situation, the Bureau of Indian Affairs must approve sales, leases, etc.  I don't see where the BIA was involved in this at all. 

The tribe owns it. Bought by Michelle Wolfe Voice June 2015. Her mailing address is the tribe realty office.

MUSKOGEE CREEK NATION REALTY
PO BOX 580
OKMULGEE, OK 74447

http://www.assessor.tulsacounty.org/assessor-property.php?account=R02075932102470&return=close
In_Tulsa
Citizen

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2018, 12:22:12 pm »

Just from Local news stories you see:

St Jude Children's Research Hospital
Riddle Plant Farm and Landscaping
Gordon Outdoor Advertising
OU Physicians
Eyemart Express
Mothers Against Drunk Driving
Green Country Federal Credit Union
Tulsa Fraternal Order of Police
Perini Eyecare
Enterline Law Firm
Crushed Red

Trust me the businesses are loving this! No press is bad press! Every time someone calls one of these businesses to complain tells them they got there money’s worth! So you are actually making them more money.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2018, 01:17:17 pm »

I don't understand how this is "restricted" Indian land.  That term generally means that title is in held by the United States in trust for the tribe, or the Tribe owns it subject to federally mandated restrictions against alienation.  In either situation, the Bureau of Indian Affairs must approve sales, leases, etc.  I don't see where the BIA was involved in this at all.  

It doesn't have to be owned by the tribe, it can also be owned by a tribal citizen. It sounds like the Creek Nation keeps information on reserved and trust land confidential unless required by federal law.

Realty Trust Services
Our responsibilities are to understand the processes involved in assisting our Muscogee (Creek) Clients in researching land records. Our office understands the relationship our clients may or may not have with their land. Our office is in clear understanding the information we work with is privileged and protected unless pursuant to 43 Code of Federal Regulations 2.56(b). We understand these records may not be altered or destroyed except as authorized by 43 Code of Federal Regulations 2.52(c).

https://www.mcn-nsn.gov/services/realty-trust-services/
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org