A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:44:14 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wider residential driveways  (Read 19915 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2018, 09:45:31 am »

One of three things needs to happen here with most people in Tulsa now owning more than two vehicles, RV's, or boats.

1) Enforce no curbside parking longer than four hours. (Will never happen. Waste of police resources.)
2) Widen residential streets so vehicles can park by the curb, on both sides, and it not be a visibility hazard. Happening already in some new neighborhoods but not others.
3) Widen driveways to allow for three vehicles to park side by side.

They're all poison but, one has to be chosen.

Where I currently live the north ingress to get to my house from the closest major arterial (Admiral) is a nightmare.  It travels about 2.5 blocks south (straight south) before it bends southeastward for about a block before a 3 way tee stop that I turn right to get to my home.

Way too many cars park in the street here and it's like automobile slalom course to survive it with that bend in the road.  Add to that on weekends I deal with Flea Market traffic as well (I live not far from the Traffic Circle) and most weekends I'd almost rather stay home untll 5pm or later, which is when the flea market closes and traffic subsides.  I try and travel south to 11th and deal with it that way but sometimes that's not an option.  I'd agree that wider driveways would be a plus.  And it's not just a hazard driving with all the cars parked in the streets.  There have been several times these cars conceal playing children who all of a sudden appear from behind one of these cars and my brakes get a test.

About 25 years ago because of just this hazard, my father (passed away now) hit a 6 year old on a bicycle who popped out from behind a vehicle parked in the street.  Didn't hurt her too badly, but he felt guilty about it for months.  I dare say years.  And it really wasn't his fault.  Not necessarily the girl's fault either.  At some point, parenting has to play a role, but I digress.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2018, 09:50:31 am »

One of three things needs to happen here with most people in Tulsa now owning more than two vehicles, RV's, or boats.

1) Enforce no curbside parking longer than four hours. (Will never happen. Waste of police resources.)
2) Widen residential streets so vehicles can park by the curb, on both sides, and it not be a visibility hazard. Happening already in some new neighborhoods but not others.
3) Widen driveways to allow for three vehicles to park side by side.

They're all poison but, one has to be chosen.

I like your train of thought. But I disagree. If every house has three vehicles, nearly every house has a garage and 2 spaces in the driveway.  If they have 4, there is room for at least one vehicle from every house to park on one side of the road (and thereby not clog the road entirely, which we also don't enforce).  If every household has 4 or more vehicles, plus boats or RVs, then its time for them to find a storage solution for their toys. "I have too much crap" is a lousy reason to downgrade livability.

#1 is a no-go.  We can't even enforce the "don't park in your dang front yard" ordinance. Heck, we haven't figured out parking meters efficiently yet.

#2 is something I would vehemently fight. I have zero interest in paying for wider streets or giving up my yard for the purpose of helping people with too much crap find a place for it all.  Heck, in my neighborhood we would have to move meters, cut down trees, and, of course, actually pay to redo streets that haven't been redone since the 1950s. Not gonna happen.

#3 is giving in that because people want to have too much crap and can't be mildly inconvenienced we just need to put up with ugly.

For some reason we have been able to survive without fully paved front yards for 100 years in Tulsa. Suddenly this is a necessity?  Here's a solution, build your garage taller...

https://www.amazon.com/Auto-Lift-Car-Park-8-Storage-Parking/dp/B00KQZYAO6

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2018, 10:08:20 am »

Actual facts:
Approximately 9% of Tulsa households do not own a single vehicle.
In 2016, the average number of vehicles per Tulsa household was 1.6.

Thus, “most people” do not in fact own more than two cars.

I don’t think the census counts boats and RVs, but I can also say that very few people in my neighborhood store boats or RVs at home.

As for residential streets, I challenge you to find a steeet that is not already wide enough for two parked cars and a travel lane. Residential streets are between 20-30 feet wide, depending on when they were built.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2018, 10:23:00 am »

Actual facts:
Approximately 9% of Tulsa households do not own a single vehicle.
In 2016, the average number of vehicles per Tulsa household was 1.6.

Thus, “most people” do not in fact own more than two cars.

I don’t think the census counts boats and RVs, but I can also say that very few people in my neighborhood store boats or RVs at home.

As for residential streets, I challenge you to find a steeet that is not already wide enough for two parked cars and a travel lane. Residential streets are between 20-30 feet wide, depending on when they were built.

Most residential additions have covenants to prevent boats, trailers, etc.  At least for a couple dozen years until the covenants expire....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2018, 01:41:49 pm »

I don’t think the census counts boats...

People care about the homeless. Nobody cares about the boatless.

Power is nothing till you use it.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2018, 02:03:41 pm »

People care about the homeless. Nobody cares about the boatless.

Hey!  I care about the boatless...I am one and I 'need' a boat!!  Small hunting/fishing boat with a 10 hp motor would be great!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2018, 05:54:47 am »

I work in plenty of homes that have more than a 2 car garage, sometimes up to 5 or more car garages or multiple garages and they have 1 or 2 car "wide" driveways.  They have little court yards or parking areas offset from the driveway or garages.  There is no need for a wider cut through the curb or through sidewalk areas.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
saintnicster
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2018, 10:24:17 pm »

As for residential streets, I challenge you to find a street that is not already wide enough for two parked cars and a travel lane. Residential streets are between 20-30 feet wide, depending on when they were built.

Richmond, Sandusky, Toledo, Urbana, Vandalia, etc

Ever been in the neighborhood south of the fairgrounds during the state fair?
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2018, 07:08:29 am »

Richmond, Sandusky, Toledo, Urbana, Vandalia, etc

Ever been in the neighborhood south of the fairgrounds during the state fair?

You mean the ones that do not allow parking on at least one side during the state fair?  Those are all 26 feet wide.  Just like PonderInc said. 

And designing/modifying all city streets to cope with a location specific once a year event would be goofy.  Just like the north parking lot at Target on Yale, we could pave a ton of extra space for parking and then watch it sit empty 99% of the time.  Bad use of resources.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org