A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:07:31 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Deck Renovation  (Read 6048 times)
citizen72
Civic Leader

« on: January 10, 2018, 12:08:51 am »

My wife and I are needing to redo our deck of 24 years. Having a little trouble acquiring a carpenter that will (can) do the work. Do any of you have thoughts on a source that you, a relative, or a friend has used? Thanks in advance.

^^^^^

"Never a skillful sailor made who always sailed calm seas."
citizen72
Civic Leader

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 12:29:37 am »

Gosh, no one?

^^^^^

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 11:43:46 am »

Sorry man, got nothing on that.  I do my own deck work.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
rebound
City Father

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 12:22:18 pm »

Same.  Have always done my own.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 11:44:15 am »

I'll jump in:  about 10 years ago we added a ~400 sq ft  deck to the back of our house.  It has a small wing surrounding a hot tub and a small 8 x 8 wing for an outdoor grilling/bar area.  It is elevated may 2.5' at the highest point - so not up on stilts.  I managed to do the project with my wife and some help from neighbors.  I'm no carpenter, but the ladies do find me handy (Red Green reference, anyone?).

Mine sits on deck blocks that are dug down a few inches sitting on gravel that is dug down and tamped still further.  If I did it over I would do small piers for aesthetic reasons, but it looks fine. 

We used treated lumber and composite deck boards.  I do not bother lying to myself about my willingness to stain or treat the deck as often as I should (or keep dogs off it while doing so).  So far, everything has held up great.

I planned everything out, went to a local lumber store with my sketch/plan who told me what I might want to change (this band needs to be bigger, consider this type of screw, etc.).  Then placed the order for all needed materials:  deck boards, deck blocks, various support boards, joist hangers,  nails and screws.  All dropped off in my driveway.

Dig the piers.  Place the footers (be they deck blocks or otherwise).  Then frame out the deck (outside and mid point bands to hang joists from), add the joist hangers/joists to make sure you meet the minimum spacing, add any stringers you need for strength (or to shore up spacing issues), and start decking.

I planned my deck to be the same length as the deck boards I bought, so it made fairly quick work.  I had everything planned out before I started and a few tricks I learned as I went made it easy.   I'd guess it took 30 hours of work from conception to completion - but there was no need to power through it day after day.  A half finished deck can sit during the work week without much concern.  Very little heavy lifting since you are building it in place stick by stick.  Lots of bending/stooping as you nail joists/hangers or screw down decking boards.  Otherwise, I think many people could pull it off that might not think they could.  Could be a different story if there are physical or time limitations, or if the deck is in the air providing additional safety concerns.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 07:06:48 pm »

I'll jump in:  about 10 years ago we added a ~400 sq ft  deck to the back of our house.  It has a small wing surrounding a hot tub and a small 8 x 8 wing for an outdoor grilling/bar area.  It is elevated may 2.5' at the highest point - so not up on stilts.  I managed to do the project with my wife and some help from neighbors.  I'm no carpenter, but the ladies do find me handy (Red Green reference, anyone?).

Mine sits on deck blocks that are dug down a few inches sitting on gravel that is dug down and tamped still further.  If I did it over I would do small piers for aesthetic reasons, but it looks fine. 

We used treated lumber and composite deck boards.  I do not bother lying to myself about my willingness to stain or treat the deck as often as I should (or keep dogs off it while doing so).  So far, everything has held up great.

I planned everything out, went to a local lumber store with my sketch/plan who told me what I might want to change (this band needs to be bigger, consider this type of screw, etc.).  Then placed the order for all needed materials:  deck boards, deck blocks, various support boards, joist hangers,  nails and screws.  All dropped off in my driveway.

Dig the piers.  Place the footers (be they deck blocks or otherwise).  Then frame out the deck (outside and mid point bands to hang joists from), add the joist hangers/joists to make sure you meet the minimum spacing, add any stringers you need for strength (or to shore up spacing issues), and start decking.

I planned my deck to be the same length as the deck boards I bought, so it made fairly quick work.  I had everything planned out before I started and a few tricks I learned as I went made it easy.   I'd guess it took 30 hours of work from conception to completion - but there was no need to power through it day after day.  A half finished deck can sit during the work week without much concern.  Very little heavy lifting since you are building it in place stick by stick.  Lots of bending/stooping as you nail joists/hangers or screw down decking boards.  Otherwise, I think many people could pull it off that might not think they could.  Could be a different story if there are physical or time limitations, or if the deck is in the air providing additional safety concerns.

I didn't realize that had been +/- 10 years and it has held up quite well.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
citizen72
Civic Leader

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 12:33:51 am »

Thanks guys, very interesting. I too grew up in a construction family and built the deck in question in 1996. Three years ago though I fell off a ladder in my work, broke my leg in five places plus crushing my ankle. Now do not have a functional ankle joint. Doc say no to my remodeling the deck so going to have to delegate. Thanks again.

^^^^^

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 08:13:07 am »

Sorry I don't know a contractor/carpenter to help!

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
citizen72
Civic Leader

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 01:42:09 am »

Thanks guys.

^^^^^

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org