A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:37:31 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa, Metal Building contractors?  (Read 4608 times)
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« on: August 03, 2023, 08:21:36 pm »

Hoping to finally buy some land and build my dream DECOPOLIS. Also wanting to finally build a "starter" Art Deco Museum.   I have a sketch for a small museum space of about 72' X 42" with 24' interior ceilings.  Figuring the most cost effective way to get that size of a space which I can then build out, would be with a metal building.

Can anyone recommend a local contractor who does these in the Tulsa area?

Whenever I do a google search of "Tulsa Metal Buildings" almost all of them are not actually in Tulsa, or even Oklahoma, but it will "say" they are "Tulsa's best" for this and have it on the website and links, but then you go down and search the about, and they are actually located in other states.

Need to start getting guesstimates for the building so I can have numbers to put into a business plan to take to the banks!

Thanks for any help. 

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2023, 07:36:56 am »

Instead of going directly to metal building suppliers, I would recommend trying to get a meeting with a local architect who could help lay out a development process for you and maybe work out a deal for some conceptual drawings that would help you get funding. They should also be able to provide some ball park cost estimates.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2023, 11:34:49 am »

Instead of going directly to metal building suppliers, I would recommend trying to get a meeting with a local architect who could help lay out a development process for you and maybe work out a deal for some conceptual drawings that would help you get funding. They should also be able to provide some ball park cost estimates.

I may inquire with both. Touch base with an architect and get their thoughts on the project, and touch base with a couple of local metal building contractors as well.

Any architect recommendations?

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2023, 07:35:51 am »

GH2 and KKT do a lot of interesting local stuff. Not sure who would really be an easy firm to approach about something like this, but they come to mind. There's also Cyntergy, which does full service arch and engineering who are also involved in a lot of local stuff.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2023, 10:36:04 am »

Keep us posted on your project, please!   I am also starting down that road for similar sized building, looking at both pole barn style and metal building.  Leaning toward post/pier so can do some of the work myself.  Especially interested in reasonable concrete contractor.

Only local contact I have tried to make so far was with Metal Building Industries in west Tulsa due to recommendation from a friend.   After about 1/2 dozen attempts to get them to talk to me, including talking to the owner a couple times, I gave up since they showed less than zero interest in doing a project that size.

If you are open to a post/pier approach, there is a guy who shows the process very well but sadly is not local or I would have already started with him!  Mostly barndominium style but goes from house to commercial buildings.

https://www.youtube.com/@RRBuildings/videos

Campground I have stayed at from time to time in OKC did a Morton building, probably a little bigger than what you are looking at (70' x 100'), with good results.  Also post/pier building, like RR Buildings.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2023, 02:55:58 pm »

Keep us posted on your project, please!   I am also starting down that road for similar sized building, looking at both pole barn style and metal building.  Leaning toward post/pier so can do some of the work myself.  Especially interested in reasonable concrete contractor.

Only local contact I have tried to make so far was with Metal Building Industries in west Tulsa due to recommendation from a friend.   After about 1/2 dozen attempts to get them to talk to me, including talking to the owner a couple times, I gave up since they showed less than zero interest in doing a project that size.

If you are open to a post/pier approach, there is a guy who shows the process very well but sadly is not local or I would have already started with him!  Mostly barndominium style but goes from house to commercial buildings.

https://www.youtube.com/@RRBuildings/videos

Campground I have stayed at from time to time in OKC did a Morton building, probably a little bigger than what you are looking at (70' x 100'), with good results.  Also post/pier building, like RR Buildings.

I have also had a difficult time getting anyone to respond locally.  I contacted this company several times, through their online form and through an email and never heard back either time.  https://tulsametalbuildingpros.com/top-metal-buildings/

I think I did contact the barndominium people through their online form, they got back to me within an hour. And that was during non work hours. So yea, makes the Tulsa folk look,,,, well just made me mad that they are so lousy they can't even respond.

But, I have contacted a local architect and will be meeting with them next Wednesday to see what they have to say.

And will look at the Morton buildings.

One thing I am curious about though with architects, is will I be getting the building and contractors "wholesale" or "retail"? Am I the developer so to speak, or are they? If I hired a home builder, for instance to build me a home, they would be selling it to me at retail, while they get it wholesale.  I remember one time needing some  scaffolding for a project. The client called to have scaffolding set up and it was going to cost thousands of dollars. But as I worked on so many construction sites I was like, let me give a friend a call. They set up all the scaffolding I needed for $500.00. aka Wholesale versus retail construction. So again, I wonder will an architect typically help you get wholesale construction costs, or retail?

shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2023, 03:45:04 pm »

If you work with an architect independently, they'll provide you with the plans you need and will help you get in touch with whatever contractors you need. You can choose what contractors/manufacturers you use and how to work with them independently - the architect doesn't do everything. They'll explain this more when you meet with them, I'm sure. There should be a scope that's agreed upon before they do anything so you'll know what they are doing and what they aren't doing.

There's a difference between going with an architect and going with a random metal building manufacturer though. A metal building fabricator will push out a basic design to meet your specs. An architect will actually design a space and building for your wants. The former is much cheaper, but you'll end up with a warehouse essentially and it may not be the most comfortable.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2023, 03:59:28 pm »

You also mostly likely need a general contractor. A public building will likely need framing, HVAC, plumbing, electrical, fire suppression, alarms, etc. All require different subs, and even more than that, permits and inspections for all of it. A good GC will take care of all of that and know how to do it. A metal shell is just the start.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2023, 04:52:50 pm »

And will look at the Morton buildings.

One thing I am curious about though with architects, is will I be getting the building and contractors "wholesale" or "retail"? Am I the developer so to speak, or are they? If I hired a home builder, for instance to build me a home, they would be selling it to me at retail, while they get it wholesale.  I remember one time needing some  scaffolding for a project. The client called to have scaffolding set up and it was going to cost thousands of dollars. But as I worked on so many construction sites I was like, let me give a friend a call. They set up all the scaffolding I needed for $500.00. aka Wholesale versus retail construction. So again, I wonder will an architect typically help you get wholesale construction costs, or retail?

Morton will be very good and very pricey.  But you get good value for that extra money.   I would love to get them to do my building, but the quote they gave me  was more than I could handle.   The place I mentioned was in great part finished inside, too, so there is value to be had for letting them run with it.

You will always pay retail.  Count on it.  Unless you have an amazing network - and if not, could start taking time now to build a network.  Lots of time...

I have chosen to do as much as possible myself.  Am currently building the laminated posts for the building.  Gonna buy trusses - haven't figured out the installation yet, but probably something similar to R&R Buildings.  Building molds for the concrete piers, which I will do myself.   Guys working at a concrete company live behind me so am talking to them every once in a while til ready to do the floor.  Floor prep is something I will do, gravel, insulation, hydronic tubing, etc.  Electric, plumbing, and HVAC are all something I can and will do.  Already have a 5 ton unitary rooftop package unit that I got as scrap/salvage for a couple hundred bucks.  Didn't hurt that I got to spend about 3 months quality time with the unit on a test stand before realizing just how good it was and how I could buy it cheap!   And yeah, I wrote the company a check, straight up and legitimate!   Probably overkill for my shop/barn.

And I don't have to get any permits or inspections!  Well, except one...the OK DEQ does have to approve the sewage lagoon and septic installation.  They have been very helpful so far in letting me know what is required and how to do it.  May rent a bulldozer and try to dig the hole myself....?  Kinda rusty on that - last time I drove one was a Cat D9 on a coal strip mine.  Spent almost a day doing that and a little time running a HUGE loader!   Your sewer setup will be more complex, I suspect.

Also, FEMA took us out 98% of flood zone with the proper survey and documentation through a LOMA.  Don't suspect you will have flood zone issues.

Some things you should buy, use through the project, then sell at end.  I have been getting some stuff together that I don't wanna have forever!   Scaffolding is one of those!  With stairs for my decrepit old carcass - do not want to climb them like a ladder!

Good luck!   Enjoy!

« Last Edit: August 12, 2023, 04:56:45 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2023, 06:46:16 pm »

Scaffolding is one of those!  With stairs for my decrepit old carcass - do not want to climb them like a ladder!

Us old guys need to think about things like that.  We don't heal as quickly as 60 or so years ago. 

Grin

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2023, 11:18:07 am »

Us old guys need to think about things like that.  We don't heal as quickly as 60 or so years ago. 

Grin

Seems like every day I don't heal as quickly as I did 60 minutes ago!

It's the hardest job I ever had....getting old!

I really need a bulldozer, too.  Running that D9 with a brother for half a day spoiled me for moving bulk materials!   I could get by with a smaller, D4 size machine though.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2023, 10:08:55 pm »

Running that D9 with a brother for half a day spoiled me for moving bulk materials! 

That had to be fun.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2023, 09:49:44 pm »

That had to be fun.

Amazing!   Seam of coal about 36" thick, raised blade, dropped it a few feet from edge and coal just broke off and shattered.  Probably a few tons at a time?

Now I have to dig some holes, so need a small dozer.  Could do some scraping on Artists site, too!  Move some top soil in preparation...

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2023, 11:42:21 pm »

Amazing!   Seam of coal about 36" thick, raised blade, dropped it a few feet from edge and coal just broke off and shattered.  Probably a few tons at a time?

Now I have to dig some holes, so need a small dozer.  Could do some scraping on Artists site, too!  Move some top soil in preparation...

Be careful lol.  It may be that I need a small retention pond on the property for runoff, which is perfect because I want a small pond (Swashbuckler Bay and another smaller one with a waterfall, the "Jolly Piranha Lagoon" around which I can build a volcano with a giant cave inside for shopping (There is a species of dinosaur on Mesmer Island that lives in the volcanic caves with their villages amongst glowing crystals and giant glowing mushrooms) you will shop for rocks, fossils, dinosaur toys, etc. along the trails inside the volcano and dino village, would also like to eventually have a tiki bar/restaurant, "cliffs" and dinosaur themed kids play area and Dig Site activity, and the Discovitorium be around the pond. https://decopolis.net/pages/mesmer-island-dig-site
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 11:45:53 pm by TheArtist » Logged

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2023, 08:59:56 pm »

Be careful lol.  It may be that I need a small retention pond on the property for runoff, which is perfect because I want a small pond (Swashbuckler Bay and another smaller one with a waterfall, the "Jolly Piranha Lagoon" around which I can build a volcano with a giant cave inside for shopping (There is a species of dinosaur on Mesmer Island that lives in the volcanic caves with their villages amongst glowing crystals and giant glowing mushrooms) you will shop for rocks, fossils, dinosaur toys, etc. along the trails inside the volcano and dino village, would also like to eventually have a tiki bar/restaurant, "cliffs" and dinosaur themed kids play area and Dig Site activity, and the Discovitorium be around the pond. https://decopolis.net/pages/mesmer-island-dig-site

Hurry up and get that built!  I know some grandkids that will be into that big time!  As well as me!

Know anybody that has a bulldozer cheap?

And that seam of coal was about 500 ft up the side of a mountain with about 75 deg drop off.  It makes the legs tingle to drive up to that edge and have the first 6 feet of the tracks hanging over emptiness.   But those Smokey Mountain views are incredible!

« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 09:02:10 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org