A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 08:56:25 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa as a "Sanctuary City"  (Read 28153 times)
joiei
City Father

« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2017, 08:41:18 pm »

When protecting the vary existence of a country becomes absurd, I guess I've lost the argument. So you are all right with the police protecting people from messing with other people, but not from foreigners f'ing us all. There is a reason that every country in history has defended it's borders. The notion has not become antiquated as so many here seem to believe.

I know that's being a little mellow dramatic, but seriously people. It's no bait and switch, except in you all's warped sense of state.

do you mean melodramatic?  I know what you meant but it does not interpret the way you said it.  Unless you really meant a very laid back drama.  Then I am totally out of bounds. 

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2017, 11:53:52 am »

We've seen successive waves of immigrants, starting with the Irish and continuing through the Chinese, southern Europeans and eastern Europeans, with each wave producing a nativist reaction and demands for measures to repel the "invaders." The republic survived those bouts of xenophobia. It will survive this one.

The big change, however, is the growth of Asian and Hispanic populations. This is causing some foreboding among the largely white and elderly Republican elite. Deservedly so.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2017, 02:39:49 pm »

The City Council on Tuesday terminated an agreement with the federal agency that allowed Oakland police to take part in task forces headed by ICE.

“Under the new presidential administration, we have seen increased use of ICE to target non-criminals, including arresting people dropping their kids off at school, including arresting people coming out of church, and including arresting a woman in court who was there to testify against the man who had raped her, arrested by ICE for deportation.”

http://www.eastbaytimes.com/2017/07/19/oakland-cuts-ties-with-ice
http://michiganradio.org/post/its-federal-agency-it-can-arrest-people-your-town-it-wont-say-who-it-has-custody

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2017, 04:01:42 pm »

We've seen successive waves of immigrants, starting with the Irish and continuing through the Chinese, southern Europeans and eastern Europeans, with each wave producing a nativist reaction and demands for measures to repel the "invaders." The republic survived those bouts of xenophobia. It will survive this one.

The big change, however, is the growth of Asian and Hispanic populations. This is causing some foreboding among the largely white and elderly Republican elite. Deservedly so.

Starting with the English.   And when the Natives objected, they were exterminated.  So, being Irish, I guess I should be thankful that only ridicule, deep persecution, decade after decade of abuse and mistreatment came our way...!  But by then, the English Overlords realized they needed the minions of all kinds to set on the backs of.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2017, 05:49:44 pm »

Some of that anti-Catholic bias remains. It's not unusual to find a Catholic church well removed from the "important" buildings fronting a town square in rural PA. And in that farm country where I lived, Catholics were sometimes reviled. I did not and do not understand that. But my employer would not hire anyone into a management position unless they were Catholic. Illegal, yes, but proving it was another thing.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2017, 10:47:26 am »

Some of that anti-Catholic bias remains. It's not unusual to find a Catholic church well removed from the "important" buildings fronting a town square in rural PA. And in that farm country where I lived, Catholics were sometimes reviled. I did not and do not understand that. But my employer would not hire anyone into a management position unless they were Catholic. Illegal, yes, but proving it was another thing.

SWMBO was raised taught that Catholics are Communists.  Persona non grata.  And her cousin actually had the temerity to marry one!!  He even had been a Trappist monk!!   Great guy!

And I was raised around Catholics - not quite sure how they insinuated themselves into the private personal lives of Methodists and Baptists quite as much as they did, but am glad they did!  Have reached the point that if I were going to attend church on a more regular basis than I do now, it would either be Catholic or Unitarian....can't quite make up my mind yet.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2017, 10:16:03 pm »

A federal judge on Monday permanently blocked President Donald Trump's executive order to cut funding from cities that limit cooperation with U.S. immigration authorities.

U.S. District Court Judge William Orrick rejected the administration's argument that the executive order applies only to a relatively small pot of money and said Trump cannot set new conditions on spending approved by Congress.

https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2017/11/20/us/ap-us-sanctuary-cities.html

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2018, 09:55:46 am »

Tulsa County contract with Immigration and Customs Enforcement protested

http://www.tulsaworld.com/tulsa-county-contract-with-immigration-and-customs-enforcement-protested/article_fb14647e-5250-53a6-8819-38e567f126bf.html

Tulsa Jail ICE detainers double in a year as immigrant enforcement partnership nets millions for Sheriff's Office

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/government/tulsa-jail-ice-detainers-double-in-a-year-as-immigrant/article_1fe71baa-e054-57df-912c-771f49b9edf6.html
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 08:06:58 pm by patric » Logged

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2019, 10:12:29 pm »

There has been much confusion about releasing asylum seekers from the David L. Moss Jail in Tulsa.

Immigrants have not been released with instructions in their native language as required by the contract with the Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Several have been released without their "community release" card but only with their inmate identification from jail showing their inmate ID number, hardly suitable for showing lawful presence in this country.

In two cases, it was as simple as going to the clerk's office and obtaining proper documentation. But in one case, a different clerk refused to help saying, "They don't have a right to be here."

Detainees have been released late at night, often without proper clothing.

One detainee was released at 1 a.m. wearing only a pair of shorts and a t-shirt when the night-time temperature was only 8 degrees above freezing. He was rescued at 6 a.m. by local volunteers.

The asylum seekers do not have criminal records, have all passed their credible-fear interviews and their families posted a $5,000 bond prior to release.

They have since traveled to all parts of the U.S. There is a change of address form for them to fill out, but no mention in their packets of a change of venue petition, which usually requires an attorney fill them out.

ICE blames the Tulsa Jail; the jail blames ICE.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/opinion/letters/letter-to-the-editor-asylum-seekers-being-mistreated-in-tulsa/article_2248df39-01f4-594d-beaa-73c3b830d533.html

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2019, 11:12:13 pm »

County commissioners on May 13 heard from 18 speakers opposed to the county’s involvement in the 287(g) program. Not once during the meeting were speakers informed that the agreement had been signed by Sheriff Vic Regalado on May 10.
Historically, the Board of County Commissioners, not the sheriff, has signed off on the 287(g) agreements.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/tulsa-county-commissioners-accused-of-misleading-the-public-over-immigration/article_9a8a28ed-9c07-52b6-a21b-bb0998c9b285.html

The Sheriff’s Office is one of dozens of local law enforcement agencies participating in the 287(g) program, which uses local law enforcement to identify and process undocumented residents for deportation proceedings.

The Sheriff’s Office has six employees certified by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement to participate in the program.

Sheriff Vic Regalado recently signed a 12-month extension of the MOU that did not require BOCC approval. But opponents of the program continue to call for commissioners to end it.

Nearly 20 area residents told commissioners last week that 287(g) is creating mistrust of local law enforcement and leading to individuals being deported for minor offenses.

The MOU makes clear that the agreement could be ended at the request of either party.

“During the MOU’s effective period, either party, upon written notice to the other party, may terminate or suspend the MOU at any time,” the agreement states.

Don’t expect action on the issue soon. Commissioners have no plans to vote on the MOU, and Sallee says he’s still examining the program to determine whether he should support it or not.

“I owe it to both sides,” he said. “I certainly support law enforcement. I support our sheriff. He’s done a great job, I feel like, managing our jail … so I have a lot of confidence in him.

“But when we have concerns from throughout the county, we’ve got to look at those as well.”

Sallee said he is “100 percent, totally” against racial profiling and has yet to be convinced that it is happening.

“If I felt that (racial profiling) is happening … I would not support it whatsoever,” he said.

On the plus side, Sallee said, the program helps with public safety, which is an important consideration.

Another issue to be considered is the separate agreement the Sheriff’s Office has with ICE to hold inmates from around the country in the county jail. Last fiscal year alone, the agreement brought in $4.7 million, according to county records.

“If that is not here, then where is the BOCC or the county going to come up with those funds?” Sallee said. “And what are they going to be willing to cut, and what department are they going to cut from?”

“The big thing is, they’re making it sound like we’re just seeing that you are dark skinned and we’re pulling you over and arresting you so we can deport you,” the commissioner said. “That’s not going on.”

“You might be able to find some in there who got a trivial arrest, but for the most part, we’re not looking at good folks,” Peters said.

The county commissioner said he fears that pulling out of the 287(g) program could effectively make Tulsa a sanctuary city, “and I don’t think that is what a majority of people in Tulsa want.”

Critics of the 287(g) program note that state law already requires that jails make a reasonable effort to determine the citizenship status of persons charged with a felony or with driving under the influence and that if lawful immigration status cannot be verified, the jail is to notify the Department of Homeland Security.

Keith said she is philosophically opposed to local participation in either of the ICE programs.

“Countless local agencies that engage with the Hispanic populations report that individuals who may need the help of law enforcement are afraid to call in,” Keith said. “That is despite valiant efforts by Sheriff Regalado to reassure that population that it is safe to call his agency without fear of deportation.”

She added: “In addition to the potential impacts (of the ICE programs) on individuals, I don’t like the perception that as a county we are participating in these programs.”

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/tulsa-county-commissioners-could-end-g-program-but-would-they/article_c4ddcac8-7d2c-5cf6-a6eb-898e93bfacc5.html
https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local/government-and-politics/sheriff-regalado-sees-value-in-g-program-to-combat-criminal/article_52591d67-fff3-57d6-8d6d-9e212596359e.html

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2024, 08:48:55 am »

Tulsa councilor's proposal would prohibit using city funds to 'benefit illegal immigrants.'

A Tulsa city councilor and mayoral candidate is proposing to prohibit the use of city funds, either directly or indirectly, to “house, accommodate, or benefit illegal immigrants.”
The proposed ordinance from Jayme Fowler defines city funds as any money under the city treasurer’s control, including but not limited to tax revenues, grants and subsidies.

The proposed prohibition would apply to all city departments, city contractors, city employers and nonprofits. Nonprofits and programs found to be in violation of the proposed ordinance could have their funding withheld.
The ordinance defines an illegal immigrant as “any person residing in the United States who does not possess legal documentation or authorization to reside in the United States.”

Fowler listed three reasons he proposed the ordinance.
“No. 1 is that we’re barely able to address our unhoused citizens here in the city of Tulsa,” Fowler said. “And then No. 2 is that, literally, one or two busloads of illegal immigrants would max out our low-barrier shelter.
The third reason, Fowler said, is to staunch any misinformation or misperceptions that Tulsa is a sanctuary city. Fowler noted that a conservative news outlet portrayed efforts by city leaders to create a more welcoming city as making “the city a more desirable destination for illegal migrants.”

“You can tell people so many times that that’s not true,” Fowler said. “But if you just simply lay down in an ordinance and let people know that we are not a sanctuary,” that would help.

A sanctuary city is generally defined as a municipality that does not cooperate with or limits its cooperation with the federal government in enforcing immigration laws. Tulsa has never been designated as such a city.

Mayor G.T. Bynum said he has not discussed the proposal with Fowler but agrees with the sentiment behind it. He added that the city complies with federal immigration laws and has strongly supported opportunities for lawful immigrants in Tulsa.

Bynum said his main concern is how the ordinance is drafted.
“From a practical standpoint, everyone in Tulsa benefits from basic infrastructure and services funded by the city government,” Bynum said. “I can’t imagine that Councilor Fowler plans to check the immigration status of every person before they flush the toilet or drive down a street.

“If a person calls 911 because someone is trying to murder them, the Tulsa Police Department isn’t going to check their immigration status before stopping the murderer. If a person has a heart attack, the Tulsa Fire Department isn’t going to check their immigration status before saving their life.”

Bynum said those are just a few examples of why the current wording of the ordinance is not enforceable.
“And I would not want us setting a legal expectation that we have no means of enforcing,” he said.

The city relies heavily on nonprofits to provide food, shelter and other social services to the homeless and immigrants making their way into the country.
Asked whether his proposed ordinance would mean shelters and feeding programs would have to check an individual’s immigration status before assisting them, Fowler said he did not know the mechanics of how that would work.

But he added that there are nonprofit service providers locally that are not funded by city dollars that could provide housing to immigrants without proper documentation.

Nearly all of the money the city provides to nonprofits working on homelessness comes in the form of federal pass-through dollars.
Becky Gligo, outgoing executive director of the nonprofit Housing Solutions, said federal funding for housing and shelter are subject to anti-discrimination provisions and the federal Fair Housing Act.

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/government-politics/tulsa-councilors-proposal-would-prohibit-using-city-funds-to-benefit-illegal-immigrants/article_7811f12e-cd20-11ee-b6dd-bf45ca6c1527.html

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org