A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:57:17 pm
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: President Trump & Immigration  (Read 126287 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #210 on: June 18, 2018, 10:28:28 pm »

Quick question:  Who steps into the way of an approaching LEO vehicle whilst filming it?  There appears to be a bit of a common sense issue which sparked this off.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #211 on: June 19, 2018, 07:36:25 am »

I've been thinking about the immigration problem we face as a nation, and it occured to me that there's both a historical precedent and a solution that were proposed more than 200 years ago in England. The Irish population was increasing rapidly at the time, placing a burden on government resources in Ireland and England. One writer modestly proposed that by fattening Irish children and utilizing them as a food source, the immigration and over-population problems would be curtailed.

That would work on our southern border. We already have the children in pens, making the process of fattening them up the same as we do with feedlot cattle. The costs of rounding them up are minimal as their parents bring them through the border. Indeed, given our President's appetite for cheeseburgers, a single child may keep him fed for a week.

Food for thought.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #212 on: June 19, 2018, 11:29:19 am »

It appears to me that the administration's go-to is currently "how dare you" and "I'm offended" when confronted about immigration.

This makes them appear to be the victim...so this may work well for them.
hello
Civic Leader

« Reply #213 on: June 19, 2018, 11:33:06 am »

It appears to me that the administration's go-to is currently "how dare you" and "I'm offended" when confronted about immigration.

It will. Trump supporters love to think they are the victims of scary brown people. Fear will work every time.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #214 on: June 20, 2018, 09:37:08 am »

Playing the victim card once they have demonized the real victim is a favorite tactic among fascists, not just on immigration.

See how truly ugly these people are:
https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/19/politics/corey-lewandowski-undocumented-immigrant-womp-womp/index.html

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #215 on: June 20, 2018, 09:49:51 am »

Playing the victim card once they have demonized the real victim is a favorite tactic among fascists, not just on immigration.

See how truly ugly these people are:
https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/19/politics/corey-lewandowski-undocumented-immigrant-womp-womp/index.html

This is EXACTLY what one would expect from Trump Minions everywhere.  Corey Lewandowski mocking a 10 yr old girl with Down Syndrome separated from her Mother.  In the 'finest Trump tradition' of mocking.   Where is the outrage from the Trump Minions??   Oh, wait....nevermind!

There is no low low enough for these people.

But hey,... at least she gets to go to 'summer camp' !!  There is that...

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/corey-lewandowski-mocks-story-girl-022732511.html

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #216 on: June 20, 2018, 09:57:51 am »

I listened to the author the other day on the Smerconish show on POTUS Radio. Really interesting, and depressing, discussion. Have not read the book, but thought it would be of interest to this forum:

Gaslighting America: Why We Love It When Trump Lies to Us
by Amanda Carpenter

(From Amazon)
------------
A CNN contributor, former Ted Cruz staffer, and "Never Trump" adherent reveals a shocking truth: Donald Trump’s lies and fabrications don’t horrify America—they enthrall us—and explains how we can avoid falling for them.

"Can you believe what Donald Trump said?"

In Gaslighting America, Carpenter breaks down Trump’s formula, showing why it’s practically foolproof, playing his victims, the media, the Democrats, and the Republican fence-sitters perfectly. She traces how this tactic started with Nixon, gained traction with Bill Clinton, and exploded under Trump. If you think Trump is driving you crazy, it’s because he is. Now, in this urgent book, she explains how to withstand the fire.

Where some people see lies, Trump’s fierce followers see something different. A commitment to winning at all costs; there is nothing he could say that would erode their support at long as it’s in the name of taking down his political enemies.

His opponents on the left and right continue to act as if his fake narratives and conspiracy theories will bring him down, when in fact, they are the ruses that raised him up.

As a conservative former staffer to a competing presidential campaign, Amanda Carpenter witnessed her fellow Republicans fall in line behind Trump. As a political commentator, she was publicly smeared by one of his supporters on live television without a shred of evidence supporting the allegations. Slowly, she watched her entire party succumb to Trump and become defenders of his tactics, and Gaslighting America may be the only hope to bring them back to reality.

----------

hello
Civic Leader

« Reply #217 on: June 20, 2018, 10:25:22 am »

If you listen to the Slow Burn podcast it shows many of the similarities between Trump/Russia and Nixon/Watergate. Nixon, who was reelected during Watergate because "no one cared."

I hope Democrats and their voters stop with the purity tests for their elected leaders or we are looking at Trump winning in 2020.

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #218 on: June 20, 2018, 11:38:16 am »

His opponents on the left and right continue to act as if his fake narratives and conspiracy theories will bring him down, when in fact, they are the ruses that raised him up.

The leader of the free world just announced he will sign an executive order to stop the Democrat's terrible law that is ripping apart families.
That must be "great."

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #219 on: June 20, 2018, 01:39:37 pm »

The leader of the free world just announced he will sign an executive order to stop the Democrat's terrible law that is ripping apart families.
That must be "great."

So shockingly, Trump and his "best people"in just minutes with a pen outed themselves as being fake news liars when they said that child separation at the border wasn't a policy, it was the law passed by Democrats, that Obama did it too, and poor Trump couldn't do anything about it without action from those evil Democrats in congress.

These children were just pawns being used by Trump. This was always just about leverage in Congress to pass a bill that not only builds that stupid wall, but curtails LEGAL immigration. But Trump is too stupid and has no understanding of normal human empathy or morals to understand this was never going to be a good idea so it blew back on him.

Thousands of kids have been traumatized and hurt in order to further Trump, Miller and Session's racist goal to get rid of legal immigration by all those bad legal immigrants that aren't good, white Norwegians. Further proof that Trump cares nothing for people, unless they are on TV and rich.

Trump and his people that help and defend him in the White House are scum.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 01:43:41 pm by swake » Logged
hello
Civic Leader

« Reply #220 on: June 20, 2018, 02:44:23 pm »

These children were just pawns being used by Trump. This was always just about leverage in Congress to pass a bill that not only builds that stupid wall,

Schumer caved and gave him his wall money months ago to save the Dreamers. Trump refused. He wants to run on the wall for midterms, perhaps even 2020.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #221 on: June 20, 2018, 03:05:57 pm »

Schumer caved and gave him his wall money months ago to save the Dreamers. Trump refused. He wants to run on the wall for midterms, perhaps even 2020.

Back in February Trump punted on a deal on DACA with Schumer after initially agreeing. At Miller's request Trump at the last minute tied the dreamers deal to ending family migration and the visa lottery, which are types of legal immigration for people from disadvantaged countries and have nothing to do with DACA or illegal immigration on the southern border. A deal the Democrats would not agree on. Trump did get the Senate to vote on his deal at the time, but he only got 39 votes. He needed two Democrats to flip, instead 14 Republicans went against him.

Lately Congress has been trying to make that middle ground deal happen around Trump. With the deal Trump would get his wall and border security and in exchange the dreamers would be protected. But that isn't end his goal anymore, if it ever was. Trump wants fewer brown immigrants period. So before Congress could get the new bi-partisan deal done Trump and Sessions upped the pressure on congress with the "no tolerance" policy at the border. Sessions announced this new policy April 6th and it now has led to 6,000 children being separated from their parents. The idea was it would upset Democrats and get them to come back to the table with Trump and roll on legal immigration. But predictably the photos and videos of traumatized kids didn't make this a winning policy for Trump and it has pissed off almost everyone, anyone with any kind of soul at all anyway.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/attorney-general-announces-zero-tolerance-policy-criminal-illegal-entry

Crass politics being played on the backs of poor, scared children. Charles Dickens couldn't write this.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 03:08:51 pm by swake » Logged
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #222 on: June 20, 2018, 04:26:52 pm »

Crass politics being played on the backs of poor, scared children. Charles Dickens couldn't write this.

I think he kinda did....didn't make that big a difference on people's conscience then.  Won't change that much here, either  People haven't changed in thousands of years, let alone just a couple hundred.  That 'needle' moves in tiny little fits and starts...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #223 on: June 20, 2018, 06:50:18 pm »

And the evil continues.  There are still thousands of children that were separated.  There has been no mention of reuniting them.

And the Trump regime continues to break Federal law by not releasing them in the required 20 days.

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #224 on: June 20, 2018, 09:43:58 pm »

And the evil continues.  There are still thousands of children that were separated.  There has been no mention of reuniting them.

And the Trump regime continues to break Federal law by not releasing them in the required 20 days.

Are we great yet?

Stephen Colbert highlights the absurdity of Trump blaming Democrats for his own family-separation policy
http://theweek.com/speedreads/779897/stephen-colbert-highlights-absurdity-trump-blaming-democrats-familyseparation-policy

Peter Fonda calls for protests against ICE agents’ families
http://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/393200-peter-fonda-calls-for-protests-at-ice-agents-homes-and-their

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org