A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:56:57 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: President Trump & Immigration  (Read 123038 times)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2017, 09:26:24 am »

Some people don't care because it doesn't effect them directly - they aren't an immigrant or refugee, so who cares?  But this is far bigger than "illegal Mexicans" or the exaggerated threat from anyone who is Moooslim.  International connections touch a huge segment of our economy.  Even a well intentioned "ban" done in a chaotic or hostile manner is a bad deal for the US economy.

Two sample consequences of the sudden anti-immigrant/nativist shift:

1)  The Tourism trade board is not happy.  Preliminary numbers indicate that travel to the US is significantly down  (Commerce department official numbers pending).  Some people have been outright told they aren't welcome, but many more feel like hostility towards foreigners is more widespread and are just not coming.

Trump’s Travel Ban Threatens to Deter Foreign Tourists From U.S.

US tourism may have taken a hit from Trump's travel ban

Trump slump? US tourism industry fears downturn

Sell Short U.S. Tourism After Trump Ban

2) Education officials are also getting concerned that foreign students may no longer see the US as "the" destination for high education.  Foreign students usually pay sticker price and we have created a self sustaining system - we have the best universities because we have the best faculty, staff, and students because we have the best universities.  We break that cycle at our own peril.

Drop in foreign applications worries US engineering schools.

Trump's International Policies Could Have Lasting Effects On Higher Ed

Why we need international students

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2017, 01:47:50 pm »

CF,

Reality just isn't a big point for the alt-right Fake News Clown Show.  That 5th grade graduation wore off so many years ago, the last haunting vestiges of the memory have already flickered out.  It's all they can do to remember the sound bite catch phrases - and when there are too many of them, some go by the wayside until drummed up and recycled to incite once again.  Today's;  Mooslim!   and   'Murica!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2017, 01:50:30 pm »

All you Black folks, you must go
All you Mexicans, you must go
And all you poor folks, you must go
Muslims and gays, boy, we hate your ways
So all you bad folks, you must go
rebound
City Father

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2017, 04:14:10 pm »

Had to look that up.  Good stuff...

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2017, 04:23:39 pm »

Had to look that up.  Good stuff...

It's the first Trump protest song.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2017, 04:25:30 pm »

Not a fan of rap, but....

Language alert - you probably will be offended if ya don't like some gritty talk.  If so, don't click.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/videos/watch-a-tribe-called-quests-powerful-we-the-people-video-w451057

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2017, 02:16:17 pm »

The states of Hawaii, Oregon, Washington and New York have all sued over Trump’s new travel ban due to go in place on March 16th. Washington is also asking that the existing injunction be applied to this new ban which seems very likely. Question, why is Trump again asking for 90 days? I thought that was time to reassess the vetting process? Did they do nothing in the 40 days since the first order was written? Doesn’t Trump care about all those innocent Americans dying in the streets, being killed every day by terrorist refugees? Is he lazy?

January 21st, first day in Office
January 29th, Trump signs order banning travel from 7 countries and all refugees immediately
February 3rd, Courts start to approve Injunctions block travel ban
February 9th, Trump loses appeal of injunctions
February 10th to March 5th, Trump fiddles around and does nothing to protect America for more than three weeks.
March 6th, new travel ban offered impacting all refugees and travel from 6 countries, to take effect March 16th
March 8th, State of Hawaii sues to block new order
March 9th, Oregon and New York join Hawaii’s lawsuit, Washington asks court to extended previous injunction to the new order.

This only thing worse than this stupid Muslim ban circus is the Trumpcare plan that just about no one wants. Conservatives, Libertarians, Liberals, Doctors, Retired People, Insurance Companies and Hospitals have all come out against the plan. And that’s before it’s even scored by the CBO.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2017, 04:32:03 pm »

Before it became the post-apocalyptic Falcon Crest, the Fox network series "The Last Man On Earth" was a good source of apolitical, morbid humor.
The episode "Got Milk" shifted gears a bit, and really pissed off the conservative media.

http://cdn.mrctv.org/sites/default/files/videos/converted/14887972715.mp4

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2017, 03:15:55 am »

The states of Hawaii, Oregon, Washington and New York have all sued over Trump’s new travel ban due to go in place on March 16th. Washington is also asking that the existing injunction be applied to this new ban which seems very likely. Question, why is Trump again asking for 90 days? I thought that was time to reassess the vetting process? Did they do nothing in the 40 days since the first order was written? Doesn’t Trump care about all those innocent Americans dying in the streets, being killed every day by terrorist refugees? Is he lazy?

January 21st, first day in Office
January 29th, Trump signs order banning travel from 7 countries and all refugees immediately
February 3rd, Courts start to approve Injunctions block travel ban
February 9th, Trump loses appeal of injunctions
February 10th to March 5th, Trump fiddles around and does nothing to protect America for more than three weeks.
March 6th, new travel ban offered impacting all refugees and travel from 6 countries, to take effect March 16th
March 8th, State of Hawaii sues to block new order
March 9th, Oregon and New York join Hawaii’s lawsuit, Washington asks court to extended previous injunction to the new order.

This only thing worse than this stupid Muslim ban circus is the Trumpcare plan that just about no one wants. Conservatives, Libertarians, Liberals, Doctors, Retired People, Insurance Companies and Hospitals have all come out against the plan. And that’s before it’s even scored by the CBO.

Going to try to see if they sell this in 55 gallon drums.

It's going to be a long 8 years, and I am having trouble believing you can last 8 months. Oh, decent job numbers came out today (you should be thrilled if you believed and were happy with those stats when Barry was president), and Hillary has a new haircut.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2017, 03:54:21 am »

Lots of folks bidding on building the wall...

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/miranda/la-et-cam-california-border-wall-construction-20170310-story.html

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2017, 10:49:22 am »

Oh, decent job numbers came out today (you should be thrilled if you believed and were happy with those stats when Barry was president)

Happy to help you catch up:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/03/10/19-times-trump-called-the-jobs-numbers-fake-before-they-made-him-look-good/

Lots of folks bidding on building the wall...

Laid-off TSA workers and Coast Guardsmen will be thrilled with that new job.
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Military/2017/0308/Trump-budget-borrows-from-Coast-Guard-TSA-to-pay-for-wall

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2017, 12:50:22 pm »

I'm beginning to see a pattern here with the counselor....he's up at 3am posting on Tulsa Now.... I wonder who else has a bad habit of flinging poo around on the internet all hours of the ni....oh, nevermind.

Grin

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2017, 03:15:47 pm »

I'm beginning to see a pattern here with the counselor....he's up at 3am posting on Tulsa Now.... I wonder who else has a bad habit of flinging poo around on the internet all hours of the ni....oh, nevermind.

Grin

Um. Never occurred to you that I have to work all hours because I am busy, but find reading sore loserman postings a pleasant distraction?

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2017, 07:24:02 pm »

No doubt...there is lots of stupid out there...

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2017, 07:30:42 pm »

Um. Never occurred to you that I have to work all hours because I am busy, but find reading sore loserman postings a pleasant distraction?

Nice to know I can still aggravate you, counselor.   Cool

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org