A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:00:37 am
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OKPOP Museum new home  (Read 58777 times)
tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #90 on: November 08, 2021, 08:11:41 am »

It does look a lot better now. Still needs the sign and lighting to really make it pop.

dare I say to make it.... OKpop

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #91 on: November 08, 2021, 11:27:15 am »

I'm interested to know more about their programming like what they have planned for speakers and conferences besides the permanent exhibits.  Is there a gift shop accessible from Main St?

shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #92 on: January 07, 2022, 04:35:36 pm »

Apparently the construction wrapped up and they are working on the exhibits now. Haven't heard anything about an opening date. They had discussed opening late 2021/early 2022, but I think everything is moving at a glacial pace due to covid. Probably will be a spring opening?
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #93 on: January 13, 2022, 01:29:11 pm »

Last I heard is they don't have funding for exhibits - they are trying to get the state to kick in more money to finish out the interior of the museum but it will likely not be open for 12 months or more is my guess. They spent pretty much everything that got allocated on the site/building.
ComeOnBenjals
Civic Leader

« Reply #94 on: January 13, 2022, 04:02:06 pm »

Last I heard is they don't have funding for exhibits - they are trying to get the state to kick in more money to finish out the interior of the museum but it will likely not be open for 12 months or more is my guess. They spent pretty much everything that got allocated on the site/building.

Seems like an important part of building a museum is making sure you can actually have a museum..
tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #95 on: January 14, 2022, 08:35:26 am »

Seems like an important part of building a museum is making sure you can actually have a museum..

details details....
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #96 on: January 14, 2022, 01:11:56 pm »

Same approach the FAM (First Americans Museum) in OKC took. Once it's under construction at some point the state is going to kick in more funds to get it finished. They at least finished the building as opposed to FAM that went back for more money multiple times just to finish the structure. I'd expect there to be additional funding requested in the 2022 legislature session, I think all the bills to be considered this year are due here shortly.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #97 on: January 15, 2022, 11:35:44 pm »

Same approach the FAM (First Americans Museum) in OKC took. Once it's under construction at some point the state is going to kick in more funds to get it finished. They at least finished the building as opposed to FAM that went back for more money multiple times just to finish the structure. I'd expect there to be additional funding requested in the 2022 legislature session, I think all the bills to be considered this year are due here shortly.

Sounds like the "ask for forgiveness vs. ask for permission" thing.  Whatever....

shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #98 on: September 27, 2022, 01:03:31 pm »

It's been over nine months since we first discussed how they didn't have funding to complete the exhibits... https://tulsaworld.com/news/state-and-regional/govt-and-politics/okpop-in-limbo-as-it-searches-for-funding/article_6ec11f98-352b-11ed-a5f2-f3a66fa9ba6f.html?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_Tulsa_World&fbclid=IwAR1fb3XwMiQg-bLR5O5wgdABmhuTdtZ0wq4ZQh5_307_kKdXePeLX6svkT4

Nothing has changed. Blake Ewing was involved but has since left for a cushy city job - funny how he always seems to be involved in the city's quagmires...

Various interviews have stated that they have a lot of artifacts on hand, such as Bob Wills' tour bus. https://www.tulsapeople.com/multimedia/podcast/okpop-museums-goals-and-the-rise-of-oklahollywood-blake-ewing-okpop-museum/article_80174686-26af-11ec-8b71-6bd116bee663.html

They also state that they have approximately $3 million in commitments from COT and the County. My question is, why can't they do SOMETHING with $3 million to bring some exhibits to life to get the ball rolling? I get that they want to make a splash from day one and first impressions are important, but opening at least the ground floor as a "teaser" for the rest would be a better hook for donations/grants than an empty building that is quickly turning into a joke.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #99 on: September 27, 2022, 01:43:10 pm »

It seems like some kind of gift shop or traveling exhibit area to activate the ground floor would be a good filler until they can finish out the upper floors. 

LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #100 on: September 27, 2022, 04:00:27 pm »

It seems like some kind of gift shop or traveling exhibit area to activate the ground floor would be a good filler until they can finish out the upper floors. 

I believe some on staff have been pushing hard for that and there's been push back from others that won't allow that to happen unfortunately.

It's been over nine months since we first discussed how they didn't have funding to complete the exhibits... https://tulsaworld.com/news/state-and-regional/govt-and-politics/okpop-in-limbo-as-it-searches-for-funding/article_6ec11f98-352b-11ed-a5f2-f3a66fa9ba6f.html?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_Tulsa_World&fbclid=IwAR1fb3XwMiQg-bLR5O5wgdABmhuTdtZ0wq4ZQh5_307_kKdXePeLX6svkT4

Nothing has changed. Blake Ewing was involved but has since left for a cushy city job - funny how he always seems to be involved in the city's quagmires...

Various interviews have stated that they have a lot of artifacts on hand, such as Bob Wills' tour bus. https://www.tulsapeople.com/multimedia/podcast/okpop-museums-goals-and-the-rise-of-oklahollywood-blake-ewing-okpop-museum/article_80174686-26af-11ec-8b71-6bd116bee663.html

They also state that they have approximately $3 million in commitments from COT and the County. My question is, why can't they do SOMETHING with $3 million to bring some exhibits to life to get the ball rolling? I get that they want to make a splash from day one and first impressions are important, but opening at least the ground floor as a "teaser" for the rest would be a better hook for donations/grants than an empty building that is quickly turning into a joke.

I know Blake is an easy target for people, but that assumption is ridiculous. Blake is not some mastermind of city 'quagmires' and this isn't a city issue.

The state bond proposal was only to pay for the building and there was supposed to be a supplemental bond or state funding for exhibit space that never happened. Thus we are in the spot we are now. You can thank the state legislature, not Blake for that.

The state gave upwards of $200 million to the First Americans Museum and they can't come up with $20-25 million for exhibits to finish this museum? It's ridiculous and typical of the state legislature to screw institutions in Tulsa because they think GKFF and others will step in to pay the bill as always.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #101 on: September 28, 2022, 07:52:00 am »

It'll become the world's largest Swadley BBQ by the spring.
tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #102 on: September 28, 2022, 12:06:25 pm »

Quote from: shavethewhales

Various interviews have stated that they have a lot of artifacts on hand, such as Bob Wills' tour bus. [url

This one?

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #103 on: October 10, 2022, 09:04:26 am »

Quote from: shavethewhales

Various interviews have stated that they have a lot of artifacts on hand, such as Bob Wills' tour bus. [url

But now, more like this....

http://www.batesline.com/archives/2013/06/bob-wills-tour-bus-returns-to-tu.html

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #104 on: May 30, 2023, 12:42:50 pm »

https://www.kjrh.com/news/local-news/state-promises-to-match-funding-for-okpop

They got their funding. IMO, $18 million should be more than enough to finish the insides of a completed building. I don't know what they plan to spend nearly $40 million on, but I know the first thing I'll say when I see it is that they wasted a ton of money.

I am grateful that this can move forward and finally open though.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org