A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:45:28 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OKPOP Museum new home  (Read 58362 times)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« on: December 15, 2016, 08:43:18 am »

The new home of OKPop was announced today and I didn't see that OKPop has ever had its own thread.  Now that it looks like they have a home directly across from Canes (SW corner of Brady and Easton), plans are sure to follow.  I'm guessing some people on here will have an opinion to share in that regard... so lets start a thread!

http://www.newson6.com/story/34055255/long-awaited-okpop-museum-will-be-built-across-from-cains-ballroom

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local/okpop-museum-finally-finds-home-near-historic-cain-s-ballroom/article_2ccf1060-5898-5fb9-b360-31cc427c3b8b.html

- - -
Oddly, its own website has the location wrong (still shown in the BOK lot) and the latest announcement doesn't appear on the website:
http://www.okpop.org/

And nothing on the Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/OKPOPmuseum/
- - -

No word yet on if the plan would be the same submitted to the TDA across from the ballpark, or closer to the renderings given for the BOK lot, or something entirely different. I trolled the website of the listed architect (Overland Partners) and didn't see anything. 

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 09:01:04 am »

OKPOP museum finally finds home near historic Cain's Ballroom
Museum finally finds home near historic Cain’s Ballroom in Brady District

After years of searching for a home in Tulsa for Oklahoma’s proposed pop culture museum, the facility will soon be built across the street from one of the city’s decades-old cultural icons: Cain’s Ballroom.
The new location for the Oklahoma Historical Society’s Oklahoma Museum of Pop Culture, known as the OKPOP, will be just south of Interstate 244 at the corner of West Easton Street and North Main Street, directly across from Cain’s, officials plan to announce Thursday.
The empty lot at 422 N. Main St., which comprises a fourth of the city block, has been used for years as paid concert parking for Cain’s. It will soon be the location of the proposed 40,000-square-foot, $40 million museum facility and a 100-space underground parking garage, Oklahoma Historical Society Director Bob Blackburn said.
Since 2014, three different sites within Tulsa’s downtown have been proposed as potential locations for the museum, though the plan has always been for the building to end up in Tulsa, specifically the Brady Arts District, Blackburn said.
Once completed, the museum will include interactive exhibits showcasing the creativity of Oklahomans and how that influence has spread into pop culture at-large, as well as a performance venue and recording and broadcasting studios.
The goal is to give historical context to these pieces of art and culture, which Blackburn thinks will set the museum apart.
“There’s a story behind the music, behind the literature, behind the illustration, behind the movies. That’s the story that’s going to make this a unique museum,” he said. “You can get the music and the movies and everything else online anymore, but where can you get the story behind the art to connect the dots?”
Notable Oklahomans to be featured in the museum are Woody Guthrie, Mary Kay Place, S.E. Hinton, Garth Brooks, Leon Russell and the country star who called the adjacent Cain’s Ballroom home, Bob Wills.
The museum, which is funded in part by a $25 million state bond, was initially slated for a lot near the Brady Theater in 2008. Plans then changed because of the recession, moving the museum to a parking lot near Archer Street and Boston Avenue used by Bank of Oklahoma employees.
Officials scrapped the plan after a trade-off between the lot’s owner, BOK Financial, and the Oklahoma Historical Society to build parking for BOK employees created some legal and political difficulties.
The next proposed spot was near ONEOK Field, on Elgin Avenue between Archer and M.B. Brady streets. The museum competed against a proposal for a 250,000-square-foot multi-use building in vying for the Tulsa Development Authority-owned property.
During the bidding process for the Tulsa Development Authority property, Blackburn learned the property across from Cain’s Ballroom was available.
In addition to being next to the “sacred ground” that is the ballroom, Blackburn said the property had everything he’d been looking for because of the area’s history.
The site is in Tulsa, in the historic Greenwood District, in the modern Brady Arts District, and because of that history it represented the “crossroads of creativity” concepts museum officials hoped to illustrate with exhibits in the facility.
Blackburn called the new site “perfect,” and after the nearly decade-long search, he said it’s a relief to finally have a location selected for the museum.
“Now it’s time to get to the table and roll our sleeves up,” he said.
Officials plan to break ground on the museum by the beginning of 2018 and use 2017 for planning and designing the facility. The museum should open by the end of 2019.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local/okpop-museum-finally-finds-home-near-historic-cain-s-ballroom/article_2ccf1060-5898-5fb9-b360-31cc427c3b8b.html
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 09:02:04 am »

The new home of OKPop was announced today and I didn't see that OKPop has ever had its own thread.  Now that it looks like they have a home directly across from Canes (SW corner of Brady and Easton), plans are sure to follow.  I'm guessing some people on here will have an opinion to share in that regard... so lets start a thread!

http://www.newson6.com/story/34055255/long-awaited-okpop-museum-will-be-built-across-from-cains-ballroom

- - -
Oddly, its own website has the location wrong (still shown in the BOK lot) and the latest announcement doesn't appear on the website:
http://www.okpop.org/

And nothing on the Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/OKPOPmuseum/
- - -

No word yet on if the plan would be the same submitted to the TDA across from the ballpark, or closer to the renderings given for the BOK lot, or something entirely different. I trolled the website of the listed architect (Overland Partners) and didn't see anything. 

Per the article, it will be a new 40,000 sq ft museum-only design with below ground parking garage rather than 250,000 sq ft mixed-use development proposed across from the ballpark. It will be designed in 2017.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 09:02:49 am »

The empty lot at 422 N. Main St., which comprises a fourth of the city block, has been used for years as paid concert parking for Cain’s. It will soon be the location of the proposed 40,000-square-foot, $40 million museum facility and a 100-space underground parking garage

Seems like a great spot for it, across from Cain's and it will replace the parking lot with another lot so perhaps no loss of parking.

The BOK center lot would've been nice, but would be isolated from everything else right now. I didn't like using the spot across from the ballpark as that would hurt the walkability over there and it seems like a mixed-use development would fit better there (with retail/food options) to help connect Blue Dome to Brady rather than the monstrosity they had proposed for that block. Cain's is already sort of an entertainment strip and that spot should enhance the appeal of Cain's along with SoundPony for visitors. It will also have a performance venue so that should also fit with the area, adding to it becoming an area for concerts.

The next proposed spot was near ONEOK Field, on Elgin Avenue between Archer and M.B. Brady streets. The museum competed against a proposal for a 250,000-square-foot multi-use building in vying for the Tulsa Development Authority-owned property.

The new one is 40,000 foot. I did not know the previous one was a multi-use building. That might've been good for that spot then, but I'm sure the financials would be very tough to build that large of a place. Rather than something like $4-$12 million building cost, it could've been more like $25-$60 million building costs and would've left no money for all of the expensive exhibits and artifacts they'll need.

Officials plan to break ground on the museum by the beginning of 2018 and use 2017 for planning and designing the facility. The museum should open by the end of 2019.

That's a long ways away! But at least they have a site and a plan to finish it with an end in sight.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 09:14:56 am »

Most comments on TW were positive, but I got a kick out of this one:
$1000 per square foot. What kind of building are these people building?

It is a $40 million museum, for everything: the parking garage, building, exhibits and collections they will have to buy. The exhibits and collectibles will be expensive (at least $15 million is for that). Although many items will be donations, in terms of a museum, $15 million isn't too much, but great for this purpose and should be a real gem for Tulsa. To be fair, the TW just said "40,000-square-foot, $40 million museum facility and a 100-space underground parking garage".

Global Moderator
Civic Leader

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 09:48:16 am »

Details for OKPOP have been updated on its project page.

Tulsasaurus Rex
Civic Leader

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 10:33:04 am »

I don't mind saying that I think the OKPOP Museum is kind of a silly waste. As a friend of mine puts it: "Who would go see a bunch of tchotchkes related to anyone and everyone who was minor celebrity from a previous generation and had some connection to New Mexico?" It seems over-broad and lacking in depth. The performance space and recording studio may save it.

That said, if it must be built, I think the latest location is the best place it could possibly be. Across the street from the Cain's may help alleviate the previous concerns by giving the museum the seriousness it needs; and I think both institutions could benefit from a positive feedback loop. And of course in favor of putting just about anything on top of a parking lot on Main Street in the Brady District.

2019 does seem like the distant future. That's the time the Hansons' project is supposed to be starting - yikes. There are many days I wish things downtown would move faster. I want to be able to enjoy while I still have a chance!
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 11:08:53 am »

I don't mind saying that I think the OKPOP Museum is kind of a silly waste. As a friend of mine puts it: "Who would go see a bunch of tchotchkes related to anyone and everyone who was minor celebrity from a previous generation and had some connection to New Mexico?" It seems over-broad and lacking in depth. The performance space and recording studio may save it.

That said, if it must be built, I think the latest location is the best place it could possibly be. Across the street from the Cain's may help alleviate the previous concerns by giving the museum the seriousness it needs; and I think both institutions could benefit from a positive feedback loop. And of course in favor of putting just about anything on top of a parking lot on Main Street in the Brady District.

2019 does seem like the distant future. That's the time the Hansons' project is supposed to be starting - yikes. There are many days I wish things downtown would move faster. I want to be able to enjoy while I still have a chance!

I agree that it needs to host events and have studios to succeed.  I don't see people caring enough to repeatedly pay to see exhibits about Garth Brooks and Delmar from O Brother Where Art Thou.  Being next to Cain's is perfect.  They can host events related to the various acts that perform across the street and can maybe start a full blown film festival. 
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016, 11:12:52 am »

Wow, I couldn’t disagree more.  Philbrook and Gilcrease are wonderful museums that stake out a particular space in the art world.  But most decent size cities have nice museums that have a notable national or regional bent.  This will be something entirely unique and showcase Oklahoma’s oversized impact and influence on popular culture.  Combined with the Woody Guthrie Center and the Dylan archives, OKPOP has the potential to create a real draw to downtown.

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 11:18:07 am »

With this going in it's even more critical the proposed parking garage at Main & Cameron has street level retail space or something interesting.  Isn't that going to be across the street from the future Hanson brewery?

Tulsasaurus Rex
Civic Leader

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2016, 11:23:39 am »

With this going in it's even more critical the proposed parking garage at Main & Cameron has street level retail space or something interesting.  Isn't that going to be across the street from the future Hanson brewery?

I think the Hanson project is where the LA King Corporation building is, so that would be directly across the street from the big field and diagonal to the Borden milk truck parking lot. Not sure if the Hanson project extends all the way to Cameron.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2016, 11:29:29 am »

Wow, I couldn’t disagree more.  Philbrook and Gilcrease are wonderful museums that stake out a particular space in the art world.  But most decent size cities have nice museums that have a notable national or regional bent.  This will be something entirely unique and showcase Oklahoma’s oversized impact and influence on popular culture.  Combined with the Woody Guthrie Center and the Dylan archives, OKPOP has the potential to create a real draw to downtown.

I agree with DTowner, it adds to the overall "Museum District" aspect of the Brady Arts District and builds on those other musical museums. Tulsa has had a good distinct music scene over the decades and a museum to celebrate that and other pop icons is good for Tulsa and Oklahoma. It should at least be a regional draw for Oklahomans, but mostly it is another potential tourist stop in an increasingly dense area with lots of neat things.

Memphis has a couple pop museums in their downtown which are great tourist draws and awesome museums. Memphis is on another level when it comes to musical history, but still the potential is there to build a place that celebrates and informs about Oklahoma's influence on pop culture. It likely won't be as cool as those places, but if done well should be a neat place that could inspire and that can always be added to. It will be great to recommend a day for visitors to see the Bob Dylan archives, Woody Guthrie Center, Cain ballroom plus the Okpop museum, not to mention all the hot spots to watch a show and eat nearby.
Tulsasaurus Rex
Civic Leader

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2016, 11:39:21 am »

Yes in the sense that it plays a supporting role to better things, it works.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2016, 01:20:46 pm »

The same negative comments could apply to Living Arts Museum ,the Woody Guthrie Center, Bob Dylan center coming, or most any museum.  Few are, in and of themselves, actual destinations.  Rather they are part of a collection of attractions which together make an area more likely to draw tourists.  No one goes to San Antonio for the Alamo, they go for Old Towne, the River Walk, the Alamo and because there is probably something going on. Same with OKC.  Same with KC.  Same with most people going to Memphis.  Other than a dwindling few who go to Memphis because they are Elvis freaks, they want to eat BBQ, walk down Beale, see where MLK was shot, maybe go to the Gibson guitar factory, and maybe catch a game while in town.

The OK POP adds one more thing to do in Tulsa.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2016, 02:43:50 pm »

The same negative comments could apply to Living Arts Museum ,the Woody Guthrie Center, Bob Dylan center coming, or most any museum.  Few are, in and of themselves, actual destinations.  Rather they are part of a collection of attractions which together make an area more likely to draw tourists.  No one goes to San Antonio for the Alamo, they go for Old Towne, the River Walk, the Alamo and because there is probably something going on. Same with OKC.  Same with KC.  Same with most people going to Memphis.  Other than a dwindling few who go to Memphis because they are Elvis freaks, they want to eat BBQ, walk down Beale, see where MLK was shot, maybe go to the Gibson guitar factory, and maybe catch a game while in town.

The OK POP adds one more thing to do in Tulsa.

Great points! You listed pretty much all the main things that brought us to San Antonio and Memphis recently. In Memphis, I didn't even plan on the music museum but went on a whim and enjoyed it. Even though I didn't know who many of the artists were, it was still interesting.

In the Brady, they are creating a real gem. TONS of new stuff to attract all sorts of different people. Maybe it does not any home runs yet, but a lot bunts and even a few line drives (to use baseball puns as an ode to Drillers which catalyzed a lot of this  Wink ). Woody Guthrie Museum, Living Arts, okpop, minor league baseball in an awesome atmosphere? Maybe bunts or even doubles. Cain's and shows at Guthrie Green are line drives and several of the food and bars are top notch drives as well. Maybe someday it will attract something truly spectacular to really hit it out of the park, but together, all of those have the potential to grow into something spectacular that brings in visitors from all over as the premier arts and entertainment district around (especially if it merges more into Blue Dome).

The Pearl District had a really ambitious proposal for Vision 2020 with canals and focused urban development. Maybe someday, something on a similar scale could go down in Brady, transforming it into a sizeable urban pedestrian area with water features and outdoor plazas. Santa Fe Square is doing that internally for a couple blocks in Blue Dome. Maybe Brady will get its own Santa Fe sized project someday.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org