A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:46:54 pm
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 277   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: President Trump- The Implications  (Read 1476283 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2265 on: December 17, 2017, 12:06:31 am »

The Man-Who-Said-That-he-Considered-The-Klan-to-be-OK-Guys-Until-he-Found-Out-They-Smoked-Pot Accidentally Leaked the Agenda From His Anti-Marijuana Meeting

https://www.civilized.life/articles/jeff-sessions-leaked-agenda-anti-marijuana-meeting/

This is not going to play well with my friends on here who deny there's a preconceived agenda on global warming.  Kind of blows the whole idea of: "The government never does that!" 

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #2266 on: December 17, 2017, 11:11:00 am »

When the nation’s commander-in-chief refuses to acknowledge a threat to U.S. democracy, it makes it all the more difficult to address the problem. For this reason, we name Trump’s claim that the Russia interference is a hoax as our Lie of the Year for 2017.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/politifact/politifact-s-lie-of-the-year-russian-election-interference-is/article_46385259-1a2c-53c0-b72f-e7f3042625bd.html

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
TeeDub
« Reply #2267 on: December 17, 2017, 12:22:52 pm »

When the nation’s commander-in-chief refuses to acknowledge a threat to U.S. democracy, it makes it all the more difficult to address the problem. For this reason, we name Trump’s claim that the Russia interference is a hoax as our Lie of the Year for 2017.

So the assumption is that prior to 2017 no Russian meddling ever occurred in politics?   Or is it just that the Facebook has become more popular and thus Russian advertisements got more "likes" than before?   While I understand that there is no Russian equivalent to "Air America" (that I know of) I find it hard to believe that a world power like Russia, who has been so active in other elections/countries has never previously tried to influence an election in the US.    For example: https://www.dailywire.com/news/11530/3-times-democrats-were-fine-russians-intervening-ben-shapiro

I'm not going to argue the source, literally just the first one that came up in google (looked credible, with citations.)   

Is it the fact that Hillary lost and the only possible way that could have happened was through Russian interference?  (Except for the obvious fact that no one really liked her... or trusted her...  and a large portion of the country wanted to try something other than status quo.)

I guess I just suffer from extreme pragmatism.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2268 on: December 17, 2017, 01:35:14 pm »

So the assumption is that prior to 2017 no Russian meddling ever occurred in politics?   Or is it just that the Facebook has become more popular and thus Russian advertisements got more "likes" than before?   While I understand that there is no Russian equivalent to "Air America" (that I know of) I find it hard to believe that a world power like Russia, who has been so active in other elections/countries has never previously tried to influence an election in the US.    For example: https://www.dailywire.com/news/11530/3-times-democrats-were-fine-russians-intervening-ben-shapiro

I'm not going to argue the source, literally just the first one that came up in google (looked credible, with citations.)   

Is it the fact that Hillary lost and the only possible way that could have happened was through Russian interference?  (Except for the obvious fact that no one really liked her... or trusted her...  and a large portion of the country wanted to try something other than status quo.)

I guess I just suffer from extreme pragmatism.

No equivalent to Air America??   Well, except for that whole RT network thing....

Extreme pragmatism.  You betcha.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #2269 on: December 17, 2017, 02:06:28 pm »

So the assumption is that prior to 2017 no Russian meddling ever occurred in politics? 

Or is it maybe this:

In both classified and public reports, U.S. intelligence agencies have said Russian President Vladimir Putin ordered actions to interfere with the election. Those actions included the cyber-theft of private data.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
joiei
City Father

« Reply #2270 on: December 17, 2017, 08:19:25 pm »

Am I mistaken in the knowledge that Trump lost the popular vote by almost 3 million votes? 

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
TeeDub
« Reply #2271 on: December 17, 2017, 08:29:55 pm »

1.   RT Network.   Nice to know, can't say I ever looked.

2.  Meh.  Here is a story on how the US did roughly the equivalent in the last Russian election.   We just didn't get caught doing the hacking thing.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/democracy-post/wp/2017/07/21/did-the-united-states-interfere-in-russian-elections/?utm_term=.4459a1e894b5
Oh wait...   I love this quote from the article.  "This effort was non-partisan and it aimed to strengthen democracy for everyone in Russia, not to steer the outcome."

3.   According to wikipedia (who I hate citing, but am too lazy to double check this evening) 19 out of the last 48 presidents did not the majority of the popular vote.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_presidential_elections_by_popular_vote_margin
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2272 on: December 17, 2017, 08:42:43 pm »

3.   According to wikipedia (who I hate citing, but am too lazy to double check this evening) 19 out of the last 48 presidents did not the majority of the popular vote.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_presidential_elections_by_popular_vote_margin

You need to remember that around here that only matters when the Republican wins.

erfalf
City Father

« Reply #2273 on: December 17, 2017, 09:48:12 pm »

You need to remember that around here that only matters when the Republican wins.

In fairness it's not the lack of majority that has them all up in arms, it's that he won less than the loser. The only problem is that those totals are really meaningless in the contest, and if it had different rules, I'm sure those sums would be different.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #2274 on: December 17, 2017, 09:49:27 pm »

Or is it maybe this:

In both classified and public reports, U.S. intelligence agencies have said Russian President Vladimir Putin ordered actions to interfere with the election. Those actions included the cyber-theft of private data.

I seem to recall a certain presidential candidate being mocked relentlessly for suggesting that we should be concerned with Russia as a political foe.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2275 on: December 17, 2017, 10:35:27 pm »

1.   RT Network.   Nice to know, can't say I ever looked.

2.  Meh.  Here is a story on how the US did roughly the equivalent in the last Russian election.   We just didn't get caught doing the hacking thing.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/democracy-post/wp/2017/07/21/did-the-united-states-interfere-in-russian-elections/?utm_term=.4459a1e894b5
Oh wait...   I love this quote from the article.  "This effort was non-partisan and it aimed to strengthen democracy for everyone in Russia, not to steer the outcome."

17 of them got the plurality of the vote though. The other two are Bush and Trump.
TeeDub
« Reply #2276 on: December 18, 2017, 08:24:55 am »

17 of them got the plurality of the vote though. The other two are Bush and Trump.

Unless I misunderstand math (again trusting wiki's numbers) 5 missed the plurality....  Not two.    (Adams, Hayes, Trump, Bush, and Harrison)

But then again, I am just a dumb Okie, raised in a public school.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2277 on: December 18, 2017, 09:33:42 am »

Unless I misunderstand math (again trusting wiki's numbers) 5 missed the plurality....  Not two.    (Adams, Hayes, Trump, Bush, and Harrison)

But then again, I am just a dumb Okie, raised in a public school.

No, you are correct, I looked it up:
1824 - John Quincy Adams, there were four major candidates and no candidate was able to win in the Electoral College, popular vote went to Jackson (41.4%, 30.9%, 13%, 11.2%) and by rule the House elected the president.
1876 – Hayes did lose the popular vote (50.9% to 47.9%), but votes were disputed in four states and Republicans allowed Hayes to be eletect if the Federal Government removed troops from the South left there as part of reconstruction.
1888 – Harrison - This is the first clear cut winner in the Electoral College that lost the popular vote, 50.9% to 48.6% to Grover Cleveland.
2000  - Bush 47.9%% to Gore 48.4%
2016 – Trump 46.1% to Clinton 48.2%
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 09:35:41 am by swake » Logged
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #2278 on: December 18, 2017, 11:51:28 am »

And given that I know where swake works or has worked in the past and what industry he's in, I'll take his word over erf's any day of the week and then some that aren't in the week.

Repealing NN may not be bad short term, but just wait.

In fairness to me, my evidence is pretty strong. I mean we were sans NN for years upon years upon years and yet very little occurred that was even close to what you all are predicting. There was some trying to throttle, but as I have mentioned, public pressure basically forced them to not to anymore. The consumer will be the ultimate judge of what is and is not fair. And with more options than ever before, the consumer is really holding more of the cards than they ever have before.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2279 on: December 18, 2017, 11:54:10 am »

There was some trying to throttle, but as I have mentioned, public pressure basically forced them to not to anymore.

And then rules were past for Net Neutrality that removed the fear and we were all able to move on to something else...until now.
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 277   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org