A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:50:47 am
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 277   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: President Trump- The Implications  (Read 1454817 times)
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #180 on: January 06, 2017, 11:07:45 am »

Well, he's "not a politician" right, so probably just a shade under when a standard politician would.

And on Twitter.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #181 on: January 06, 2017, 02:01:06 pm »

Well played, H!

Sadly...I am not clever enough to come up with that on my own.  Saw it on the interwebz and embraced it to the very core of my being!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #182 on: January 06, 2017, 03:26:32 pm »

How long after Trump is sworn in before he starts pointing these things out and taking credit?

What makes you think he'll wait that long?

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #183 on: January 09, 2017, 09:55:49 am »

Some celebrity gave a speech at some awards show and said people in power that use their platform to lob insults at everyone set a bad example and have the effect of telling everyone in the country that it is OK to simply insult anyone you disagree with.   Trump reacts by insulting the celebrity on twitter.

How can anyone miss the humor in that?

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #184 on: January 09, 2017, 12:04:08 pm »

Some celebrity gave a speech at some awards show and said people in power that use their platform to lob insults at everyone set a bad example and have the effect of telling everyone in the country that it is OK to simply insult anyone you disagree with.   Trump reacts by insulting the celebrity on twitter.

It would be humorous if he wasn't about to be President. Since he is not just some childish thin skinned reality show idiot, it's not funny anymore.

We are a profoundly stupid country.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #185 on: January 09, 2017, 12:18:23 pm »

Trump calls Meryl Streep “a Hillary flunky who lost big.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2017/01/08/meryl-streep-called-out-donald-trump-at-the-golden-globes-read-her-speech-here

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #186 on: January 09, 2017, 01:00:26 pm »

The humor was Ms. Streep calling on Hollyweird to save the country.

God help us all...

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #187 on: January 09, 2017, 01:27:06 pm »

We need the principled press to hold power to account, to call them on the carpet for every outrage. That’s why our founders enshrined the press and its freedoms in our Constitution. So I only ask the famously well-heeled Hollywood foreign press and all of us in our community, to join me in supporting the Committee to Protect Journalists, because we’re going to need them going forward, and they’ll need us to safeguard the truth.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 01:33:55 pm by patric » Logged

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #188 on: January 09, 2017, 01:28:23 pm »

I don't think she called on Hollywood to save the country, she called on the press.  I listened to the speech when I saw the 700th Facebook post about it.  Really - there isn't much in that speech to disagree on.  It was fairly tame.

There really isn't even a reason for Trump supporters or Trump himself to be mad:

There was one performance this year that stunned me. It sank its hooks in my heart. Not because it was good. There was nothing good about it. But it was effective and it did its job. It made its intended audience laugh and show their teeth. It was that moment when the person asking to sit in the most respected seat in our country imitated a disabled reporter, someone he outranked in privilege, power, and the capacity to fight back. It kind of broke my heart when I saw it. I still can't get it out of my head because it wasn't in a movie. It was real life.

And this instinct to humiliate, when it's modeled by someone in the public platform, by someone powerful, it filters down into everybody's life, because it kind of gives permission for other people to do the same thing. Disrespect invites disrespect. Violence incites violence. When the powerful use their position to bully others, we all lose.

This brings me to the press. We need the principled press to hold power to account, to call them on the carpet for every outrage.That's why our founders enshrined the press and its freedoms in our constitution. So I only ask the famously well-heeled Hollywood Foreign Press and all of us in our community to join me in supporting the committee to protect journalists. Because we're going to need them going forward. And they'll need us to safeguard the truth.
http://www.harpersbazaar.com/culture/film-tv/news/a19828/meryl-street-golden-globes-speech-transcript/  (first "transcript" that came up on a Google search)

A lot of opinion.  A few paragraphs of jabber at the front and end that I didn't cut and paste.  But I pasted the meat and potatoes regarding Trump.

- Trump did imitate a disabled person
- Trump does outrank the person in privilege, power and ability to fight back
- It did play well to Trump supporters
- Trump's instinct is to humiliate and mock people he disagrees with
- Violence does beget violence.  Disrespect more disrespect.
- And journalists are a foundation of a democratic nation

Really, not a lot to disagree with.  You don't have to like the tone, certainly it wasn't meant to be flattering to Trump.  But it wasn't controversial statmeents.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #189 on: January 09, 2017, 01:31:06 pm »

No.  Here let me help you:

We need the principled press to hold power to account, to call them on the carpet for every outrage. That’s why our founders enshrined the press and its freedoms in our Constitution. So I only ask the famously well-heeled Hollywood foreign press and all of us in our community, to join me in supporting the Committee to Protect Journalists, because we’re going to need them going forward, and they’ll need us to safeguard the truth.

Which she called on the her friends to protect journalist, as if they couldn't survive without Hollywood. I can read/listen.

erfalf
City Father

« Reply #190 on: January 09, 2017, 01:32:06 pm »

And I'm with you cannon, just that I find the humor in Hollywood's saving graces. As if we should be taking cues on life from them. The nerve really.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #191 on: January 09, 2017, 01:56:59 pm »

God help us all...

Sadly, that would be more effective than Trump....

And yes, God help us with Trump where he is going to be!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 02:00:14 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #192 on: January 09, 2017, 01:59:28 pm »

Latest psycho-hose-beast-apologist BS from Kellyanne....I never watch Rachel, but this post pretty well tells everything there is to know about Kellyanne!

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/conway-look-trumps-heart-not-whats-come-out-his-mouth?cid=sm_fb_maddow

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #193 on: January 09, 2017, 03:44:56 pm »

Joe Republicontin...

http://www.gbpotus.com/single-post/2017/01/02/A-Day-in-the-Life-of-Joe-Republican

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #194 on: January 09, 2017, 03:57:07 pm »

As a reality TV star, it works out great to just write off ridiculous statements.  Its funny, it keeps the nonexistent plot as an always moving target, and people watch just to see what happens next.  Its why Haward Stern got popular.

As the leader of the largest economy in the world, ,the largest political force on planet earth, and the most powerful military ever put together - "just don't pay attention to what he says" isn't a very good strategy.  But even if we do that, we can still pay attention to his actions - right?  Like telling the head of the National Nuclear Security Administration and all of his deputy's that they need to clean our their desks on January 20th, even though there are not any new nominees or a timetable for anyone to take over the job of SECURING THE WORLDS LARGEST NUCLEAR ARSENAL!  This isn't a patronage appointment.  Most Presidents just keep the old guard in place for months as they work through other issues.  No one has ever intentionally vacated the post. Obama left the Bush appointee in place for 5-6 years. We will go months without anyone officially in charge of our nuclear weapons because "screw Obama, LOL!!1!!"  

Speaking of not taking what they say seriously:

Crowley has been accused of plagiarism before. In 1999, Slate reported a column by Crowley in the Wall Street Journal mirrored a 1988 article in Commentary, the neoconservative magazine.
"Had we known of the parallels, we would not have published the article," a Journal editor’s note said at the time. Crowley denied the charge at the time, saying, "I did not, nor would I ever, use material from a source without citing it."
http://money.cnn.com/interactive/news/kfile-trump-monica-crowley-plagiarized-multiple-sources-2012-book/

Which is a fun quote, because someone apparently ran her latest book through a plagiarism filter of some kind.  The results sure are interesting.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 04:00:24 pm by cannon_fodder » Logged

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 277   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org