A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:01:40 am
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 277   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: President Trump- The Implications  (Read 1476138 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2385 on: January 12, 2018, 12:28:06 pm »

Remember early days how Trump bragged about keeping Carrier here in the US - and saving thousands of jobs?

Well, of course it was all lies, but here is the latest layoff - they have gotten rid of 1/3 of the people here since Trump "saved the day"...

Minions rejoice!!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ex-union-boss-calls-trump-044031196.html

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TeeDub
« Reply #2386 on: January 12, 2018, 01:45:21 pm »

Stupid Trump raising my taxes.

(CNN Money) — The U.S. Treasury and the IRS on Thursday put out new guidance and withholding tables for employers that incorporate changes from the new tax law.

Under those new tables, the Treasury estimates that 90% of people who get a paycheck are likely to see more in take-home pay, as soon as February. Employers will have until Feb. 15 to incorporate the changes in their payroll systems.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #2387 on: January 12, 2018, 07:00:08 pm »

Stupid Trump raising my taxes.

(CNN Money) — The U.S. Treasury and the IRS on Thursday put out new guidance and withholding tables for employers that incorporate changes from the new tax law.

Under those new tables, the Treasury estimates that 90% of people who get a paycheck are likely to see more in take-home pay, as soon as February. Employers will have until Feb. 15 to incorporate the changes in their payroll systems.

Game show.  Immediate short-term gain for ratings value, then a whopping tax bill next year when the reality of under-withholding, loss of personal exemptions as well as many itemized deductions kick in.

Even George W. Bush was smart enough to hire smart people to run his campaign and then his White House.
https://www.salon.com/2018/01/09/seriously-how-dumb-is-trump_partner/

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
TeeDub
« Reply #2388 on: January 12, 2018, 09:07:10 pm »

Game show.  Immediate short-term gain for ratings value, then a whopping tax bill next year when the reality of under-withholding, loss of personal exemptions as well as many itemized deductions kick in.

I doubt that you take in excess of $24,000 in itemized deductions.  But if you do, awesome for you 1%er.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #2389 on: January 13, 2018, 07:03:14 am »

Even George W. Bush was smart enough to hire smart people to run his campaign and then his White House.
https://www.salon.com/2018/01/09/seriously-how-dumb-is-trump_partner/

The IRS will be publishing a tool to allow you to check your payroll tax deductions to see if you're under paying. It's supposed to be available in a few weeks.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2390 on: January 13, 2018, 08:40:22 am »

And what's even more troubling is that his staunchest supporters cite that as a character trait they most like.

What the hell is this country coming to?

I wondered that myself when people started talking about how Oprah would be a great presidential candidate after a speech she gave at the Golden Globes.

If you think about it, she's got the same credentials as the current POTUS- savvy business person, TV celeb.  We see how well that's working out currently.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2391 on: January 13, 2018, 12:09:54 pm »

I wondered that myself when people started talking about how Oprah would be a great presidential candidate after a speech she gave at the Golden Globes.

If you think about it, she's got the same credentials as the current POTUS- savvy business person, TV celeb.  We see how well that's working out currently.

I'm no fan of the idea of Oprah for President, but inexperience is way, way down the list of Trump's list of disqualifying issues.

More disqualifying for Oprah to me is her embrace and profiting from quackery like Dr Oz and Dr Phil.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 12:12:33 pm by swake » Logged
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2392 on: January 13, 2018, 01:26:17 pm »

Oprah has haters.

But she has a reputation as a business person who builds good teams and pays her people well. Trump has always had a reputation of a guy who breaks the rules, stiffs his contractors, and lawyer bullies people into giving him his way.

Reagan had no qualifications. He was a thoughtful, well spoke, and guy who believed in America's future . Obama was a thoughtful, well-spoke guy who believed in the Constitution. Kennedy was a thoughtful, well spoke guy who believed the job was to inspire.

Oprah is a thoughtful, well spoke gal who inspires people, believes in our future, and will surround herself with good people.

Trump doesn't think, can't speak in complete sentences, and surrounds himself with yes men.

I hope Oprah doesn't run. She can't win unless she self-funds a lot of it. But she would be a breath of fresh air and would inspire women to run for office across America. Any woman in America would be better than Trump (and all but about three of the men in America. You know who you are. Don't make me name you).

Power is nothing till you use it.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2393 on: January 13, 2018, 10:23:06 pm »

I am gonna watch Kamala Harris.  Certainly would not want her to run in 2020, but 2024 would make for a very interesting election cycle.

As for Oprah, some people I work with on occasion work at an equipment distributor in CA that has done quite a bit of work on that house shown in the news the last few days - the one with the mud all around.   They all say she is very good and very good to people around her - even the building trades people who are there from time to time.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #2394 on: January 14, 2018, 12:29:01 pm »

As 1.5 million American citizens were told a ballistic missile was headed their way and to seek shelter immediately, @realDonaldTrump was somewhere on the back nine of his Florida golf course.

He went ahead and finished out 18.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2018/01/14/the-false-alarm-in-hawaii-revealed-an-abdication-of-leadership-by-trump

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #2395 on: January 14, 2018, 12:34:10 pm »

As 1.5 million American citizens were told a ballistic missile was headed their way and to seek shelter immediately, @realDonaldTrump was somewhere on the back nine of his Florida golf course.

That's because on TrumpWorld, Hawaii is part of Kenya.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #2396 on: January 14, 2018, 04:14:04 pm »

Oprah has haters.

But she has a reputation as a business person who builds good teams and pays her people well. Trump has always had a reputation of a guy who breaks the rules, stiffs his contractors, and lawyer bullies people into giving him his way.

Reagan had no qualifications. He was a thoughtful, well spoke, and guy who believed in America's future . Obama was a thoughtful, well-spoke guy who believed in the Constitution. Kennedy was a thoughtful, well spoke guy who believed the job was to inspire.

Oprah is a thoughtful, well spoke gal who inspires people, believes in our future, and will surround herself with good people.

Trump doesn't think, can't speak in complete sentences, and surrounds himself with yes men.

I hope Oprah doesn't run. She can't win unless she self-funds a lot of it. But she would be a breath of fresh air and would inspire women to run for office across America. Any woman in America would be better than Trump (and all but about three of the men in America. You know who you are. Don't make me name you).

Now hold on.  I like Oprah as a person, but bringing in Reagan and Kennedy as comparisons isn't valid.   Reagan was Governor of CA for eight years prior to running, Kennedy was in the House for six, and then in the Senate for seven before running.  Both of them had legitimate governmental experience, and could be judged on that.

That, to me, is one of the main issues with Trump's election.  No one had any way to really evaluate his ability to lead in a political role.  As it turns out, he's (surprise) terrible at it.  If Trump had served in any publicly elected role prior to running, everyone could have judged him on that.  (one way the other, but at least with more data.)  I'm not at-all comparing Oprah to Trump, but we have the same issue with her and - at least for me - I am very uncomfortable with anyone running that does not have previous experience in an elected govt role.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2397 on: January 14, 2018, 08:16:37 pm »

He went ahead and finished out 18.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2018/01/14/the-false-alarm-in-hawaii-revealed-an-abdication-of-leadership-by-trump

Wa-Po never misses an opportunity to crap on Trump's shoulders.  I finally had to unsubscribe from a lot of emailed news updates.  Not that I disagree with most about Trump, but it gets tiresome after awhile.  Someone wake me up Jan 21, 2021 and tell me this was all just a practical joke.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2398 on: January 15, 2018, 09:11:28 am »

Wa-Po never misses an opportunity to crap on Trump's shoulders.  I finally had to unsubscribe from a lot of emailed news updates.  Not that I disagree with most about Trump, but it gets tiresome after awhile.  Someone wake me up Jan 21, 2021 and tell me this was all just a practical joke.

So, you don't plan to vote...??  

And the latest "good news" for Trump and Minions - foreign student college enrollment was very strong for previous 10 years - dropping like a rock since fall 2016!  These are the people who pay a premium, full price plus some more, to come here for college, thereby subsidizing US citizens hugely!   

Now they are choosing Australia, Canada, UK - even India and China!  And some of them are even asking, as in one Indiana example, "Is Indiana a red state or a blue state...?"

Average drop over 7% nationwide.   And obviously, some of it is due to monetary pressures - both here and in their home countries.  But when those other countries mentioned above are still experiencing increases, there is no doubt, much more concern by foreigners about coming to such a friendly, welcoming place as we have built in the last year and a half!

Way to put out the welcome mat, America!

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2399 on: January 15, 2018, 10:34:14 am »

So, you don't plan to vote...??  

Not voting is out of the question. I've voted in every POTUS election since 1984 and missed very few lesser elections.

I'm hoping a sane centrist will pop up out of the GOP or the Democrat Party.  I'm not sure there are any left though.  I know it's generally considered bad form for a party to put up opposing primary candidates against the WH incumbent but Trump is so unpopular, I could see there being some opposition.  I guess we should start hearing some noise about potential candidates later this year.

Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 277   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org