A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 09:54:42 am
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Terence Crutcher  (Read 167020 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #150 on: September 26, 2016, 08:02:18 pm »

Why pay to have the cameras installed and then not activate them?  Why not store data from the cameras and keep that information so it can be retrieved later?

Especially ironic since the original push for cameras was the result of the murder of Officer Gus Spanos.  One would think a cop who felt threatened would activate their camera if it could still be done after they had left their cruiser, although reading the following article, it appears some officers don’t like being on camera:

Throwback Tulsa: Police cameras and the legacy of Officer Gus Spanos

The murder of a 24-year-old rookie Tulsa police officer during a traffic stop shocked the community in 1993.

Spanos had been an offensive lineman on the University of Tulsa football team and earned a bachelor’s degree in education before entering the police academy.

He and his wife, Christie, were nearing their second anniversary and had lived in their new southside brick home for only two months. She told Tulsa World reporter David Fallis that Spanos loved his job, his life and kids.

“I think he touched a lot of the northside kids’ hearts,” she said.

His death resulted in a fund drive that raised more than $500,000 to buy and install camcorders in 117 of the 400 Tulsa police cars.

Spanos had radioed a dispatcher shortly before 2 a.m. on April 22, 1993, and provided a tag number and description of a car he had pulled over on 58th Street North, just east of Cincinnati Avenue.

Minutes later, a fellow officer found Spanos lying unconscious in a pool of blood in the street about 10 feet from his car. His gun, which had not been fired, was nearby.

Spanos died the next day of massive brain damage from a shot that struck him behind the right ear, the medical examiner said. He is among 39 Tulsa police officers killed in the line of duty.

During the trial, Assistant District Attorney Doug Horn said Kimbrough “assassinated” Spanos to avoid arrest on outstanding drug and firearms warrants and because he had $27,000 worth of cocaine in his possession.

Kimbrough was convicted of first-degree murder on May 25, 1994. He was sentenced to life without the possibility of parole after the jury deadlocked 10-2 on the death penalty. He also received a life sentence for cocaine trafficking.

Shortly after the Spanos shooting, a Tulsa woman launched “Camcorders for Cops,” a fundraising drive to equip Tulsa police patrol cars with camcorders.

“The tragic shooting of Officer Spanos and the escape of the perpetrator demonstrates a great need for this equipment,” Gloria DeMier said.

Her husband, Tulsa County assistant district attorney Fred DeMier, said he believed the cameras would be a deterrent to anyone considering assaulting an officer.

Their son, Fred DeMier Jr., was a retired police officer who had survived being shot by a mental patient in 1981.

As a result of the fund drive, Tulsa Police Chief Ron Palmer said in October 1993 that his department would soon have 120 video cameras in its patrol cars.

“We’re going to be breaking a lot of new ground,” Palmer said of a metropolitan area putting the new technology into such wide usage.

However, a University of Tulsa law professor cautioned that the cameras opened a “Pandora’s Box” that would force police to address far-reaching issues such as privacy and the handling of evidence.

A year later, some officers said they had pulled the plug on the cameras, fearing that the tapes were being monitored by supervisors or the Internal Affairs Unit.

“There’s some apprehension,” said one officer, who asked not to be identified. “They’re a great tool for DUIs, but they can be used against you. That’s what bothers us. It’s like Big Brother watching over your shoulder.”

Others said the cameras malfunctioned frequently, were a hassle to use and obscured the view because they were attached to the windshield.

By 1998, only 69 of the units were still being used and a decade after Gus Spanos died, the camera program had been abandoned.

In 2010, a federal judge approved a settlement between black police officers and the city of Tulsa, requiring the city to install cameras in police cars and maintain them for five years.

The city spent $4 million for the equipment. But the computer processors that worked with the dash cameras proved too weak and the Sprint network connection had dead spots.

The problems persisted and only about 200 of the department’s 500 patrol cars have functioning dash cameras, officials said in September.

Meanwhile, the department has plans to outfit its 700-plus officers with body cameras this year at a cost of $1.2 million. Half of the money is from a Department of Justice matching grant. The goal is to increase trust and accountability between law enforcement agencies and their communities.

Sand Springs has used body cameras for over seven years. Other area cities using them include Owasso, Muskogee, Tahlequah, Okmulgee and Henryetta.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/news/throwbacktulsa/throwback-tulsa-police-cameras-and-the-legacy-of-officer-gus/article_182e3dfa-ab55-52a7-b3f8-484f8a968cb7.html

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #151 on: September 27, 2016, 11:14:28 am »

After watching four different police videos, I'd say that Betty Shelby had her toggle switch set to at least level two, not to level one.  In my opinion, unless it malfunctioned, her camera should have been activated by the toggle system, as explained by Sgt. Tuell.

But today, from Dan Smolen, we're hearing that there are other ways to activate the camera:

1. Hitting the bumper of the vehicle
2. Pressing a button on a microphone worn on duty belts or elsewhere
3. Pressing the red "RECORD" button on the in-car camera
4. Pressing a button in the in-car computer

There are actually more.

Geek out:

VIDEO & AUDIO RECORDER
FEATURES • Resolution (352 x 240) CIF or (720 x 480) D1
• Frame Rate 30 / 10 / 1 fps
• GPS Module Standard
• Recording Media SD Card (SDHC) Class 6 or Class 10
• Number of Slots 4
• SD Card (SDHC) Capacity 32GB standard, expandable up to 128GB
• Hours of Recording1 D1 HI: Up to 128 at 30 fps & 696 at 1 fps
(with 128GB of SDHC) D1 Std: Up to 192 at 30 fps & 928 at 1 fps
D1 10: Up to 256 at 10 fps & 1,664 at 1 fps
CIF: Up to 384 at 30 fps & 2,592 at 1 fps
• Officer Information Import from USB Drive or Manual Input
• Pre/Post Recording Up to 90 Seconds
• REC Stop Trigger
• Program Recording 1 Week

CONTROLS • Interfaces Ethernet, Power, USB, Audio, Cameras,
Control Panel, Triggers, GPS Antenna
• On Video and Audio Recorder Record, Stop
• Via PC or Control Panel Record, Stop, Play, Pause, Slow
• External Triggers Up to 16 Configurable (including Radar,
Siren, Lightbar, Shotgun Rack)

Each can be enabled/disabled in software.
So when you hear "The cameras have to be manually turned on by the officer" its a half-truth.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #152 on: September 27, 2016, 12:23:57 pm »

Pre/post recording up to 90 seconds. Which would have much of the missing 2 minutes when she first stopped. Whatever, they're just waiting for this to pass from top of mind consciousness. Should take a couple more weeks.

Anyone remember what happened to the cop who shot his daughters boyfriend to death?

onward...through the fog
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #153 on: September 27, 2016, 01:01:17 pm »

Pre/post recording up to 90 seconds. Which would have much of the missing 2 minutes when she first stopped. Whatever, they're just waiting for this to pass from top of mind consciousness. Should take a couple more weeks.

Anyone remember what happened to the cop who shot his daughters boyfriend to death?

His trial starts next week, it's been all over the news.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #154 on: September 27, 2016, 05:46:42 pm »

Losing a lot of faith in tv news recently and cancelled the TW. So, basically happier, a bit out of touch and much better company for others.

onward...through the fog
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #155 on: September 27, 2016, 08:02:50 pm »

Losing a lot of faith in tv news recently and cancelled the TW. So, basically happier, a bit out of touch and much better company for others.

I’ve said you were out of touch for years, Aqua!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #156 on: September 28, 2016, 08:48:14 am »

You can just check in about every week or two and be as up to date as if stayed in front of tv/computer all day long.  Nothing new really occurs very often....mostly just the same ole things over and over.  This place is about as up to date as any other source.  And then can google for a deep dive to get details....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #157 on: September 28, 2016, 11:27:34 am »

Do you have proof he was on PCP?  His 'lengthy rap sheet'?  Check OSCN.  He was charged in 1996 for a concealed weapon, which was ultimately dismissed.  Some traffic violations as well.  Stop listening to idiots like Sean Hannity.  Even the KRMG reporter he was interviewing said his criminal history wasn't very long.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/sean-hannity-rebuffed-smear-terence-crutcher-article-1.2802715
The proof comes with the lab reports, plus he had PCP inside his car- his actions at the time are that of someone high on PCP, unresponsive, he parked his car almost into the on-coming traffic lane left the engine running and got out & walked around. He did commit a felony at the time by having PCP in his car and driving. What ever his criminal history was he just was released from prison a few months earlier, so he was no boy scout like what the family is playing him up to be. 

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #158 on: September 28, 2016, 11:36:49 am »

Still waiting for the tox report.

Regardless of history - this event is what counts, and no matter how much someone is trying to cast him as "bad dude" - they had no idea about that when this occurred.  And certainly nothing rose to the level of capital punishment.

They had some idea they were not dealing with a boy scout when PCP was found in the car, The shooting happened when he did not remove his hands from his pockets, anyone remember the cop who did wait a second too long and ended up gurgling blood as he was calling for help on his radio? Cops want to go home to their family too. This is about split second dessions - people with guns like to keep their hands in their pockets. Tampering with a dash camera would be a crime, would a cop want to risk that?

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #159 on: September 28, 2016, 12:09:24 pm »

They had some idea they were not dealing with a boy scout when PCP was found in the car, The shooting happened when he did not remove his hands from his pockets, anyone remember the cop who did wait a second too long and ended up gurgling blood as he was calling for help on his radio? Cops want to go home to their family too. This is about split second dessions - people with guns like to keep their hands in their pockets. Tampering with a dash camera would be a crime, would a cop want to risk that?

What are you talking about??   This is the Terence Crutcher thread.  You remember a week ago, don't you, when the videos showed him with his hands in the air?  Maybe not...

Are you kidding??  Or even more oblivious than normal?   This cop committed a crime by killing him in the first place.  Planting a little PCP, or other drug, is no big deal - it is an "honored tradition" by a few TPD officers going back at least to the 60's.  As for tampering a dash cam...well that is a non-event in the world of crime - there is never a consequence for that.  Ever.

Since I don't really know what it is you are on when you do these posts, I can't tailor it to the moment, but I do recommend this as a catch-all, cover a wide range of possibilities for your listening enjoyment while impaired!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WANNqr-vcx0&index=11&list=RDInRDF_0lfHk

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #160 on: September 28, 2016, 12:32:56 pm »

I’ve said you were out of touch for years, Aqua!

You've been saying that about me? So, that's the source....

onward...through the fog
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #161 on: September 28, 2016, 12:35:31 pm »

You can just check in about every week or two and be as up to date as if stayed in front of tv/computer all day long.  Nothing new really occurs very often....mostly just the same ole things over and over.  This place is about as up to date as any other source.  And then can google for a deep dive to get details....

Quite true. Stuff I read here is usually weeks, months or sometimes years ahead of the public news. I remember when a poster made note of yellow flags wrapped around trees, and drill core samples being taken along the path near where the Gathering Place is going to be. We really knew a couple years ahead of time that serious stuff was about to happen.

onward...through the fog
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #162 on: September 28, 2016, 12:38:03 pm »

What are you talking about??   This is the Terence Crutcher thread.  You remember a week ago, don't you, when the videos showed him with his hands in the air?  Maybe not...

Are you kidding??  Or even more oblivious than normal?   This cop committed a crime by killing him in the first place.  Planting a little PCP, or other drug, is no big deal - it is an "honored tradition" by a few TPD officers going back at least to the 60's.  As for tampering a dash cam...well that is a non-event in the world of crime - there is never a consequence for that.  Ever.

Since I don't really know what it is you are on when you do these posts, I can't tailor it to the moment, but I do recommend this as a catch-all, cover a wide range of possibilities for your listening enjoyment while impaired!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WANNqr-vcx0&index=11&list=RDInRDF_0lfHk

I think he's on PCP!! He seems to know more than most about how people act under the influence. Maybe he sells it. No, I think I saw him or heard him say he was on it....Yeah, that's the ticket....

onward...through the fog
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #163 on: October 01, 2016, 04:54:15 pm »

This cop committed a crime by killing him in the first place.  Planting a little PCP, or other drug, is no big deal - it is an "honored tradition" by a few TPD officers going back at least to the 60's.  As for tampering a dash cam...well that is a non-event in the world of crime - there is never a consequence for that.  Ever.

All the evidence points to there being an additional 3 minutes of dash cam video that TPD is not only withholding but denying exsts. 

Spokesmen lied about the circumstances of the recording, and even local media stopped showing video that contradicted the official version.
"The cameras have to be manually turned on by the officer" was a bold-faced lie that even "investigative reporters" let slide.
All the parties involved might have agreed suppressing the critical video was essential to keeping the peace, but how can they (or their sound-bite lackeys) be trusted now?

Could it be as bad as this?
“F—K this guy,” the officer says before aiming his police cruiser at the mentally ill homeless man that he and his partner had been sent out to confront. “I”m going to hit him.”
“Okay, go for it. Go for it,” his partner responds, his voice recorded on the police cruiser’s dash cam.

Twice, the man dodges their accelerating cruiser. In the second attempt, he leaps into a median, barely avoiding the vehicle.
But the 51-year-old, Joseph Mann, could not escape the volley of bullets that followed moments later.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/10/01/im-going-to-hit-him-dashcam-shows-cops-tried-to-run-over-man-before-shooting-him-14-times/

Animals.
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #164 on: October 04, 2016, 06:40:21 pm »

Before Terence Crutcher’s flesh came to live and dwell among us as a hashtag, a police officer in a helicopter said that he looked like a “bad dude” who was probably “on something.” Deeply problematic, likely racist, and perhaps miscalculated, the officer started a familiar narrative that is often used to justify two types of violence. First, it justifies police escalation while the person is still alive. Second, it starts to rationalize police action once the victim is killed.

Police departments, prosecutors, and mainstream media fall deeper into character assassination after the victim’s death, releasing untimely or irrelevant information to further rationalize the killer’s actions. The public quickly learned of Michael Brown’s encounter with a store clerk before his murder, and of the autopsy report revealing marijuana in his system. A prosecutor suggested that Tamir’s family had “economic motives” in the outcome of the grand jury process. News outlets chose to circulate Sam DuBose’s mugshot, the victim, and not Officer Ray Tensing’s mugshot, the one charged with his murder. Now, the nation has learned that officers found PCP in Terence Crutcher’s truck after his death. And? Even if true, his hands were still visible, up, and non-threatening. An officer pulled the trigger anyway.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/bad-dudes-have-rights-challenging-problematic-police_us_57e272c5e4b05d3737be519b

Tulsa Police Officer Betty Shelby killed Terence Crutcher by accident, but the police union is murdering him every day:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/courts/officer-betty-shelby-s-attorneys-are-told-terence-crutcher-was/article_6e1f1a5e-5b64-5f51-9de6-3a443ac5296d.html

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org