A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:52:14 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New license plate design...  (Read 35411 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« on: August 22, 2016, 12:45:25 pm »

...hopefully this is the right place to post...if not, please feel free to move it.

I'm kinda meh on the new design (just announced by the Governor on her Twitter feed).

Thoughts?

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 01:00:59 pm »

I like this one better

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 01:02:06 pm »

...hopefully this is the right place to post...if not, please feel free to move it.

I'm kinda meh on the new design (just announced by the Governor on her Twitter feed).

Thoughts?

Extremely meh.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 01:34:27 pm »

Meh.

On the bright side, not horrible.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 02:54:32 pm »

I like this one better

Who DOESN'T like fajitas?!!??!!

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 03:05:29 pm »

That is awful. Ugh!
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 03:11:39 pm »

My friend, Angie, figured this out and posted it on Facebook:

1) Oklahoma's new license plate

+

2) Google result #10 for "Scissor Tail Flycatcher"

=

3) New License Plate!

The image is copyrighted by a Flickr user and won an award for wildlife photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mcaliens/536647403

Now, obviously, it could be coincidence at that's what the bird looks like in flight. But it sure it a remarkable comparison.

The tail feathers are what sealed the deal for me.
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 03:11:50 pm »

My friend, Angie, figured this out and posted it on Facebook:

1) Oklahoma's new license plate

+

2) Google result #10 for "Scissor Tail Flycatcher"

=

3) New License Plate!

The image is copyrighted by a Flickr user and won an award for wildlife photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mcaliens/536647403

Now, obviously, it could be coincidence at that's what the bird looks like in flight. But it sure it a remarkable comparison.

Good grief...

We probably paid several hundred thousand for a search committee, various designs, etc...then at the last minute someone does an "oh smile we need a design and I've pissed away all the money on eyeliner, peroxide for my hair and new tires for the RV. Come on Google don't let me down."
davideinstein
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 03:43:56 pm »

Who cares what the plate looks like?
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016, 04:14:34 pm »

Who cares what the plate looks like?

anyone with a vehicle???
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2016, 04:29:23 pm »

The tail feathers are what sealed the deal for me.

That's how we roll in this state - starting with the establishment of settlements here at Land Run time, through the theft of the capital from one town to another....Did Mary Failin' have any say in this?  Or was it just one of her appointed minions?  Just curious...

Not a horrible design - I love the Scissortail Flycatchers!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
davideinstein
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2016, 06:20:12 pm »

anyone with a vehicle???

Really? Not me.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2016, 09:41:56 pm »

Better than meh but not much.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2016, 11:10:17 pm »

The last design was to make Oklahoma plates machine-readable in an attempt to jump on the automated-enforcement bandwagon.
That, and the 3M decal process was much cheaper than embossed steel plates.

The handout:

“The new design will act as a travelling billboard for those looking to experience and explore our beautiful state,” said Fallin. “Just as important, the new plates are more clearly visible at night and will aid our law enforcement officers as they work to keep us safe.”

Oklahoma’s previous plates — which were more than seven years old — were past warranty and beginning to deteriorate, dulling the reflective sheeting on them and making them more difficult to see at night.

The Oklahoma Safety Council and the Oklahoma City Fraternal Order of Police had spoken out during this year’s legislative session about the importance of more visible license plates, which are used by law enforcement officers to locate suspected felons and respond to Amber and Silver Alerts.

State officials also spoke about the importance of the new license plates in increasing compliance with insurance and registration laws. All drivers must acquire a new plate by the end of 2017 and show proof of both insurance and vehicle registration.

Oklahoma Tax Commissioner Dawn Cash said the state would also gain from increasing registration compliance.

“The Tax Commission estimates that the state is owed approximately $4 million from thousands of Oklahomans who are out of compliance and failed to pay their registration fees last year,” Cash said. “Not only is that unfair to the Oklahomans who are following the law and registering their vehicles, it also significantly diminishes revenue going to public schools, local governments and other priority needs. New license plates will help us reduce non-compliance and enforce the rules of the road.”

New plates were authorized by House Bill 3208, authored by Rep. Earl Sears and Sen. Clark Jolley.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2016, 07:34:02 am »

So basically, our last license plates were cheap and are worn out now, government needs to be able to track us better, and they need to raise revenue. So time for new plates!

I wonder how much the "visibility" argument is really about visibility to electronic devices scanning vehicles?

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org