A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:16:15 pm
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blake Ewing businesses failed to pay $80k in taxes.  (Read 44141 times)
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2016, 03:01:31 pm »

For one thing the managers of sandwich shops rarely run off with the nights earnings! Not that uncommon in bar operations. Unless they operate out of an open till, a sandwich shop has every transaction monitored by the register. A bar has lots of cash floating around.

Never heard of that happening at a bar....You realize people don't use much cash anymore...You need to get with times...But none of this is has anything to do with the thread which is someone stealing money that does not belong to him....

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2016, 05:48:49 pm »

Cash, tips, overcharges, stolen credit numbers. I'm not too far off base. So many ways to steal. Cash is still the medium that talks. There is a reason that managers of bars change often.

onward...through the fog
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2016, 08:15:38 pm »

Cash, tips, overcharges, stolen credit numbers. I'm not too far off base. So many ways to steal. Cash is still the medium that talks. There is a reason that managers of bars change often.

Huh....so you are arguing with "sauerkraut" now...??

Step away from the whisky!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2016, 08:18:19 pm »

You're right. I took the bait. We all have a moment.

onward...through the fog
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2016, 08:41:11 pm »

You're right. I took the bait. We all have a moment.

Yeah....well, sounds like maybe you recovered....

And I was wrong - NEVER step away from the whisky....!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
davideinstein
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2016, 09:56:06 pm »

Especially when the sandwich shop reports to a franchise owner that takes care of payroll, tax reporting both payroll and sales tax, and reports to a corporate office that makes sure that franchise owners are operating their stores properly and steps in quickly if things are not done right.

Blue Ox is the same type of operation as a franchise.
davideinstein
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2016, 09:57:45 pm »

For one thing the managers of sandwich shops rarely run off with the nights earnings! Not that uncommon in bar operations. Unless they operate out of an open till, a sandwich shop has every transaction monitored by the register. A bar has lots of cash floating around.

We have 15 drivers drivers at one location riding around with money at lunch just like a bartender at night...
davideinstein
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2016, 10:04:01 pm »

Anyway, I'll remove myself from the thread. I think it's pitiful there isn't more accountability at city hall and people aren't outraged by this. Cross you T's and dot your I's if you want to hold public office.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2016, 07:20:33 am »

Anyway, I'll remove myself from the thread. I think it's pitiful there isn't more accountability at city hall and people aren't outraged by this. Cross you T's and dot your I's if you want to hold public office.

Sounds like this is a bad case of absentee management.    Focus, focus, focus....

« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 07:22:10 am by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2016, 09:36:11 am »

Blake is way to smart to do anything like this purposefully. He has a management problem that he overlooked and now he has owned up to it and will rectify it.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2016, 07:42:44 pm »

You are spot on again.....

DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2016, 09:12:35 am »

I will be slow to pass judgement on this.

I don't view Blake as a businessman, even though I was a customer of his pizza long before most of you ever met him. I now see him as a councilor, fighting fights I generally agree with.

I wish him the best.

I see merit to both of these points of view.  I can separate his position as a politician from his position as a business owner.  Small businesses face these issues all the time, this one is only in the headlines because he's a City Councilor.  I don't think running perfect businesses is a requirement to serve as City Council, so a recall is largely a proposal from people who already hated him.  However, sales tax remittances are a big friggin deal and are different than other tax issues.  It can lead to personal liability in some cases and sometimes are not dischargeable in bankruptcy.  So it's not as minor a deal as a bookkeeping error that resulted in a slight underpayment of business tax.  The reports say that he's reached an agreement with the OTC to make this right, so as long as he follows through, I don't see how it affects his position as a City Councilor.  I worry, though, about the viability of his businesses which seem to be successful.  I'd hate to lose those businesses and what they've done for downtown.  

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2016, 04:58:10 pm »

Here's a shocker....

http://www.newson6.com/story/33387316/lawsuit-accuses-tulsa-city-councilor-business-owner-of-fraud

davideinstein
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2016, 05:58:07 pm »

Adding myself back to the thread...

Why can't we see the docket?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2016, 07:41:16 pm »

Adding myself back to the thread...

Why can't we see the docket?

The docket or document?  If the suit was filed today, it won't be on the docket yet.

Subscribe to the Frontier or buy the story for $5, the entire 50+ page suit is posted there.  I've managed to read about 1/3 of it so far.  The Frontier also does a pretty good summary of all the issues with the businesses but the suit lays out a lot of the financial transactions according to the plaintiffs accounting of it.  Pretty damning stuff, if it's true.

/edit, just noticed that KOTV published the complaint in it's entirety.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 07:42:47 pm by Conan71 » Logged

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org