A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:27:28 am
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Tulsa Police "War"  (Read 95684 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #120 on: February 18, 2017, 05:55:52 pm »

I don't know why you posted that, but I can say it was ripe fruit waiting for the reapers. Very rural, religious, agricultural. Two large cities, Milwaukee and Madison. Though there are 70 colleges,  only one upper level college at Madison iirc, and lots of backwoods guys who love their guns and dogs. Young educateds flee the state. The people living there were not from anywhere else so low racial diversity except for Native Americans and whoever the Lutherans sponsored. Probably Hmong. IOW, it was already Oklahoma but had flown under the radar. Easily manipulated and exploited. My wife and her family were from there. Gorgeous geography but for quality of life and enlightenment, I prefer Minnesota.

At least that was how I experienced the state.

Yeah, probably true....most of my direct experience was with city dwellers.  And then I saw several Harley employees on tv a few days ago and really was disgusted by the ignorance they showed.   Oklahoma in scope and magnitude.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #121 on: February 18, 2017, 06:45:24 pm »

“Your war is here.”

Is Blue Lives Matter a Racist Hate Group?
The pro-cop, Trump-linked movement’s main Facebook community is a cesspool of racist rants and violent threats.

Oklahoma is about to sign a "Blue Lives Matter (More Than You)" law:

OKLAHOMA CITY, OK - State Rep. Casey Murdock today praised the passage of his Blue Lives Matter Bill in the Oklahoma House of Representatives Judiciary – Criminal Justice & Corrections Committee.
House Bill 1306 creates the Blue Lives Matter in Oklahoma Act of 2017. It provides that any person convicted of, or who pleads guilty or nolo contendere to murder in the first degree of a law enforcement officer, correctional officer or corrections employee while in the performance of their duties shall be punished by death or life in prison without parole.

The bill is virtually identical to other states where police unions wield political power.

Rep. David Bowen, D-Milwaukee, said it was unnecessary and intended to mock the Black Lives Matter movement.
"If you do target a police officer, you will be punished to the full extent of the law. That already happens," he said. "Let`s actually do something proactive, work together, to address these things, address these situations."

http://fox6now.com/2016/07/11/blue-lives-matter-bill-wisconsin-lawmaker-wants-to-make-the-targeting-of-officers-a-hate-crime/

Why Blue Lives Matter Is Just as Dangerous as White Lives Matter

“The Fraternal Order of Police is one of the driving forces behind the cynical and divisive legislation known as ‘Blue Lives Matter’ — a bill threatening the movement to hold police accountable,” Ms. Jackson’s email reads. “From its name to the legislative details, Blue Lives Matter laws are intended to antagonize and discredit efforts for racial justice and police accountability by dividing the American people with a fallacious choice between protecting Black lives or police officers.”

“They (Blue Lives Matter bills) group the occupation of the police officer with historically oppressed identity groups in order to classify any harm inflicted onto police officers as a hate crime,” Ms. Jackson writes. “Here’s the problem: being a police officer is an occupation, not an identity. This is a slap in the face to the decades of fighting advocates have done to procure hate crime protections for marginalized groups, and as we’ve seen in recent protests, police are known to embellish their claims of confrontation with Black folks.

“Activists have already faced constant backlash from law enforcement — government surveillance, excessive jail time, tear gassing, and being physically beaten by police. In the hands of local law enforcement, these new laws could mean more trumped up charges and longer sentences for protesters,” she writes.

http://www.ColorofChange.org

Disrespectful:

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #122 on: February 18, 2017, 06:59:34 pm »

“Your war is here.”

Is Blue Lives Matter a Racist Hate Group?
The pro-cop, Trump-linked movement’s main Facebook community is a cesspool of racist rants and violent threats.

Oklahoma is about to sign a "Blue Lives Matter (More Than You)" law:

OKLAHOMA CITY, OK - State Rep. Casey Murdock today praised the passage of his Blue Lives Matter Bill in the Oklahoma House of Representatives Judiciary – Criminal Justice & Corrections Committee.
House Bill 1306 creates the Blue Lives Matter in Oklahoma Act of 2017. It provides that any person convicted of, or who pleads guilty or nolo contendere to murder in the first degree of a law enforcement officer, correctional officer or corrections employee while in the performance of their duties shall be punished by death or life in prison without parole.

The bill is virtually identical to other states where police unions wield political power.

Rep. David Bowen, D-Milwaukee, said it was unnecessary and intended to mock the Black Lives Matter movement.
"If you do target a police officer, you will be punished to the full extent of the law. That already happens," he said. "Let`s actually do something proactive, work together, to address these things, address these situations."

http://fox6now.com/2016/07/11/blue-lives-matter-bill-wisconsin-lawmaker-wants-to-make-the-targeting-of-officers-a-hate-crime/

Why Blue Lives Matter Is Just as Dangerous as White Lives Matter

“The Fraternal Order of Police is one of the driving forces behind the cynical and divisive legislation known as ‘Blue Lives Matter’ — a bill threatening the movement to hold police accountable,” Ms. Jackson’s email reads. “From its name to the legislative details, Blue Lives Matter laws are intended to antagonize and discredit efforts for racial justice and police accountability by dividing the American people with a fallacious choice between protecting Black lives or police officers.”

“They (Blue Lives Matter bills) group the occupation of the police officer with historically oppressed identity groups in order to classify any harm inflicted onto police officers as a hate crime,” Ms. Jackson writes. “Here’s the problem: being a police officer is an occupation, not an identity. This is a slap in the face to the decades of fighting advocates have done to procure hate crime protections for marginalized groups, and as we’ve seen in recent protests, police are known to embellish their claims of confrontation with Black folks.

“Activists have already faced constant backlash from law enforcement — government surveillance, excessive jail time, tear gassing, and being physically beaten by police. In the hands of local law enforcement, these new laws could mean more trumped up charges and longer sentences for protesters,” she writes.

http://www.ColorofChange.org

Disrespectful:

Screw you and your cop hatred!
TeeDub
« Reply #123 on: February 18, 2017, 09:41:57 pm »

I would get upset, but I am too full of white privilege to be any good to your organization.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #124 on: February 19, 2017, 11:25:34 am »

Yeah, its a problem. Pity me. I am white, old, educated, underemployed, make too much for welfare and too little to get by. The repubs want to reduce my SS and take away Medicare. At least I'm not fat and driving a Harley, but if they ever find out I'm left handed....I'm toast. Don't tell, Ok?

onward...through the fog
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #125 on: March 12, 2017, 06:15:14 pm »

Blue Lives Matter
More Than Yours

OKLAHOMA CITY — State Rep. Casey Murdock, a Republican from the far western edge of the Panhandle at Felt, said it didn’t occur to him that a bill called “The Blue Lives Matter in Oklahoma Act” might be interpreted as having racial overtones.

Rep. Regina Goodwin, from Tulsa’s near north side, informed Murdock otherwise.

Murdock’s House Bill 1306 attempts to statutorily impose the greatest penalty possible — death or, in the bill’s amended form, life without parole — on those found guilty of killing a law officer.

Not many members quibbled with that, although several said the change seemed unnecessary given that no Oklahoma court has sentenced a cop killer to less than life without parole in at least a decade.

The name of the bill, though, revealed vast differences in the way House members see the world.

“For (Murdock) to say ‘Blue Lives Matter’ didn’t have anything to do with ‘Black Lives Matter’ is disingenuous, in my opinion,” said Goodwin, a Democrat. “We’re all human beings, and if all life matters, why are we pushing for the death penalty for some and not for others?”

Goodwin, who cited the deaths of “innocent people” at the hands of law officers and included Tulsans Jeremy Lake and Terence Crutcher as examples, asked whether Murdock was equally willing to apply the death penalty to law officers who kill unarmed civilians.

Murdock said he was not.

Goodwin, one of four black House members, tried to explain her perspective.

“I’m also concerned about officers trying to get home safely,” she said. “But can any of you possibly imagine, when you have an interaction with an officer, the first thought is, ‘How do I get home safely?’

“I’ve never … been arrested, but on three occasions I’ve had a gun pointed in my face by a law officer,” Goodwin said. “I was just a black woman in America. You say, ‘Put on a uniform. Stand in (a law officer’s) shoes.’ I respect that. But respect our perspective, too.”

Some of Goodwin’s mostly white, mostly male colleagues defended the bill as a way to support “our boys in blue” and “our men in blue,” which irritated at least one or two of the few women on the floor, particularly since Wednesday was International Women’s Day.

Several of the bill’s supporters seemed miffed and even outraged that it had even been challenged.

“This is ridiculous,” said Rep. John Bennett, R-Sallisaw. “We’re debating whether to vote for a bill that supports our boys in blue or brown. It really shows the direction society is going today. There’s no more rule of law, and so we have to come up with bills like that.

“I take personal offense, have to stand up to debate this,” Bennett said. “(Law officers) have to worry every day about being shot in the face because of some thug.”

“I don’t have a racist bone in my body,” Murdock said. “I thought that was the most neutral name I could call it. This is not about color. I want you to know this has nothing to do with color.”

The term “Blue Lives Matter” became common after the Black Lives Matter movement began criticizing officer-involved shootings of blacks and other minorities, several of whom were unarmed.

Some people, in turn, have blamed Black Lives Matter for attacks on law officers.

Murdock said his bill was prompted by some of those attacks and by the death of an acquaintance who was shot and stomped on by lawbreakers he was trying to arrest.

He originally proposed leaving the death penalty as the only sentencing possibility available for people convicted of killing law officers but was persuaded to also allow life without parole and, in cases of “an overwhelming amount of mitigating evidence,” life with the possibility of parole.

“When police officer puts on a uniform, he puts a target on his back,” Murdock said. “I’m not saying their lives are more important. What I’m saying is, when a police officer walks out of his home, he knows he may not come home. What this bill is saying, when they do leave and something happens to them, they know their killer will be brought to justice and receive the maximum penalty.”

HB 1306 passed 72-23 and now goes to the Senate.

Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #126 on: March 12, 2017, 06:17:52 pm »

32 Blue Lives Matter Bills Have Been Introduced Across 14 States This Year

The wave of legislation exposes an appetite to provide political sanctuary to an already protected class. Including police officers in hate crime statutes is legally redundant, or even counterproductive, creating deeper divisions between police and the communities they serve. All 50 states, according to the Anti-Defamation League, have statutes that automatically increase the penalties for violent attacks on police.
“So the truth is that including police in hate crime laws is merely a political statement - and an unnecessary one at that.”

A Louisiana police chief said in January that anyone who resists arrest could be charged with a hate crime under the state’s new law.
Videos of police brutality commonly include officers shouting “stop resisting!” as they pummel a defenseless - and not resisting - victim. Charges of resisting arrest or assaulting an officer often follow.
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #127 on: March 19, 2017, 05:53:38 pm »

Police Chases: Anything Goes

Month-old dashcam video shows chase ending with car rammed, one suspect shot in the back, another run over from behind.

A month after that, same thing, but this one was fatal:

Tulsa woman suspected in crime spree dies after police car runs her over following shootout
A woman wanted for a string of gun-related crimes was killed Saturday afternoon when an officer intentionally ran over her in south Tulsa after a vehicular chase.
Dickson presented a handgun, Ashley said, which was when at least two officers shot at her.
Officers roped off the scene in the 8900 block of South Harvard Avenue outside of Jenks East Elementary School.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #128 on: March 19, 2017, 06:11:52 pm »

Police Chases: Anything Goes

Month-old dashcam video shows chase ending with car rammed, one suspect shot in the back, another run over from behind.

A month after that, same thing, but this one was fatal:

Tulsa woman suspected in crime spree dies after police car runs her over following shootout
A woman wanted for a string of gun-related crimes was killed Saturday afternoon when an officer intentionally ran over her in south Tulsa after a vehicular chase.
Dickson presented a handgun, Ashley said, which was when at least two officers shot at her.
Officers roped off the scene in the 8900 block of South Harvard Avenue outside of Jenks East Elementary School.

Chalk one up for the good guys. One less thug on the street or to support while they are in jail.
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #129 on: March 20, 2017, 06:26:48 pm »

Chalk one up for the good guys. One less thug on the street or to support while they are in jail.

Now come on, there have to be better options than someone playing Mad Max in a school zone.

Dickson reportedly fled in a pickup truck as a passenger. She then bailed from the truck in the 8900 block of South Harvard Avenue and allegedly pulled a handgun, and Leatherman and Johnson fired at her. Grafton then ran her over.

When something like this happened in Arizona the taxpayers were sued for $850,000.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s72ueP2K84

She was no angel, but like clockwork the TPD spin machine began to demonize her to justify themselves; saying she must have been in the mafia.  No evidence leading to that conclusion, just that 'she must have been.'
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #130 on: March 20, 2017, 07:04:35 pm »

Now come on, there have to be better options than someone playing Mad Max in a school zone.

Dickson reportedly fled in a pickup truck as a passenger. She then bailed from the truck in the 8900 block of South Harvard Avenue and allegedly pulled a handgun, and Leatherman and Johnson fired at her. Grafton then ran her over.

When something like this happened in Arizona the taxpayers were sued for $850,000.

She was no angel, but like clockwork the TPD spin machine began to demonize her to justify themselves; saying she must have been in the mafia.  No evidence leading to that conclusion, just that 'she must have been.'

Point a gun at me, and you will wind up with a good portion of 19 9mm rounds inside or passed through you. You are a suspect in several armed robberies and you point a gun at a cop, sorry, game over.
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #131 on: March 20, 2017, 07:13:06 pm »

Point a gun at me, and you will wind up with a good portion of 19 9mm rounds inside or passed through you. You are a suspect in several armed robberies and you point a gun at a cop, sorry, game over.

Grafton then ran her over.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #132 on: March 20, 2017, 07:39:29 pm »

Grafton then ran her over.

See post #128.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #133 on: March 21, 2017, 01:46:34 pm »

OK ill weigh in.  Arizona is as good a model of policing as it is model government.
What happened right in front of Jenks East Elementary School was outrageous.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #134 on: March 21, 2017, 07:06:46 pm »

-- sidestepping the fact that she "presented" a firearm.  Not pointed, brandished, or even fired, before TPD opened up with a volley.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org