A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:06:40 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RNC - what a s**t show  (Read 85008 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2016, 07:57:04 am »

I'm interested if Bernie's supporters might flock to Gary Johnson.  He's probably closer to Bernie's social views than Trump.  He's also a realist on immigration since he was governor of a border state with Mexico.  He's making an awful lot of sense to this Libertarian, anyhow.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
cynical
Civic Leader

« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2016, 08:46:30 am »

Only those who will never vote for Hillary. Bernie's views are sort of barely in the same universe as Johnson's, just as they are sort of in the same universe with Trump, Cruz. His views align better with Hillary's than anyone else's.

There's more to Johnson's platform than marijuana legalization. Elimination of the welfare state is central to Libertarian thought, including programs such as social security and medicare. Deregulation of the economy is also central. No SEC, no FTC, no DoE, no subsidies, no EPA, no public schools, no income tax, no duty to bargain collectively, etc, etc. Does that sound remotely like Bernie's views on anything? Abortion, MJ, LGBT issues, perhaps. Everything else is pretty much pure anarchism. It should be attractive to conservatives turned off by Trump's authoritarianism, but not to the most ardent Hillary hater on the left.

https://www.lp.org/platform

Jill Stein of the Green Party is overtly making a play for disaffected Bernie supporters. Anyone who wants to make a protest vote for a fringe movement can go there, except in Oklahoma where she won't be on the ballot. Oddly, the Green Party website is listing Oklahoma as a "write-in/legislative action" state, perhaps unaware that write-in votes spoil the voter's entire ballot in Oklahoma.

I'm interested if Bernie's supporters might flock to Gary Johnson.  He's probably closer to Bernie's social views than Trump.  He's also a realist on immigration since he was governor of a border state with Mexico.  He's making an awful lot of sense to this Libertarian, anyhow.

Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2016, 09:08:50 am »

Lifelong Republican here. I will be voting for Gary Johnson. I know many more like me. In fact of all my Republican friends I only know of one who is voting for Trump. She's an idiot though so it doesn't surprise me.

I am also friends with several Democrats who will be voting for Johnson. The split is still probably 80/20 in her favor among my Democrat friends, but I am still a bit surprised by it.

It would be great if he were part of the debates.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2016, 09:19:18 am »

The problem with the third parties or alternative parties is that they only seem to come out for the Presidential elections.  Start coming out for local/state legistlative/Congressional elections if you want to be taken seriously.  Until that point, the only thing they'll really ever be is a punch line or vote spoiler.

I like Gary Johnson too.  I just wish more of these alternatives would run in down-ballot races.  It would legitimize their standing.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
rebound
City Father

« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2016, 09:34:19 am »

The problem with the third parties or alternative parties is that they only seem to come out for the Presidential elections.  Start coming out for local/state legistlative/Congressional elections if you want to be taken seriously.  Until that point, the only thing they'll really ever be is a punch line or vote spoiler.

I like Gary Johnson too.  I just wish more of these alternatives would run in down-ballot races.  It would legitimize their standing.

Same here.  It will be interesting to see if Johnson stays with the Libertarian party and helps them with local/state politics after this run is over.  This is the first year that Libertarian party is on every state presidential ballot.   That should give them some room to move to get on more local elections.   I think we can assume that no matter which side wins, there are going to be a lot of disaffected voters, and the time is right for a strong third party (which the Libertarians seem to finally be gelling into) to actually make inroads locally.   If they could just win a few local/state elections at the next mid-terms it would be really interesting in four years.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2016, 10:01:53 am »

FYI: the Libertarians (and other third parties) were/are effectively banned from the ballot in Oklahoma. If you don't have a D or an R next to your name, you need a crippling number of signatures to get on the ballot in Oklahoma. To get on the ballot you need 5% of the voter turnout in the last election to get on the ballot. So... 50-70,000 signatures each and every election. That number was reduced to 3%.

Still, it's a hard sell when people get tired of the effort time and time again. Much harder again when it is an off-year election or a minor candidate trying to get on a ballot.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
cynical
Civic Leader

« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2016, 10:10:28 am »

The Libertarian Party is on the ballot here as of March of this year. The Green Party is not.

FYI: the Libertarians (and other third parties) were/are effectively banned from the ballot in Oklahoma. If you don't have a D or an R next to your name, you need a crippling number of signatures to get on the ballot in Oklahoma. To get on the ballot you need 5% of the voter turnout in the last election to get on the ballot. So... 50-70,000 signatures each and every election. That number was reduced to 3%.

Still, it's a hard sell when people get tired of the effort time and time again. Much harder again when it is an off-year election or a minor candidate trying to get on a ballot.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2016, 10:16:08 am »

Claim: The number of police officers killed in the line of duty has risen by almost 50% compared to this point last year.
Fact: 8%

Today the Officer Down Memorial page says its  -1%

https://www.odmp.org/search/year

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2016, 11:47:20 am »

Today the Officer Down Memorial page says its  -1%

https://www.odmp.org/search/year

I don't know specifically what they are looking at without being thorough with the list (which I don't have time right now), but in 2015 there were 39 gunfire related deaths, so far in 2016 there have been 31. If you look a lot of the deaths are not necessarily what you would consider a murder. Think auto accidents, falling, heart attacks. They include them all, even 9/11 related illnesses of which there were 8 last year and only 1 so far this year. To say there is not an increase in violence towards cops at least on a measurable level is disillusion. There has been what would equate to 1/5 of a year's worth of gunfire related cop fatalities in one week. Hopefully it is an anomaly. But it doesn't discount the "fact".

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2016, 12:04:46 pm »

This is too much! Lets look at the factual statements in his speech that followed this very claim:

Claim: I will present the facts plainly and honestly.
Fact: Donald Trump has lied more than any presidential candidate in history. Fact checkers illustrate that less than 20% of his fact based statements are true.

Thank you!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2016, 12:09:05 pm »

He's making an awful lot of sense to this Libertarian, anyhow.

You are way smarter than to embrace more than just a fraction of their mostly adolescent stuff.....

Some nice sound bites that can give a sense of longing for a false time past, but when you step even an inch beyond the 'curtain', it unravels quickly.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2016, 12:13:52 pm »

Conan, doesn't any of this give you pause to reflect?

"There's more to Johnson's platform than marijuana legalization. Elimination of the welfare state is central to Libertarian thought, including programs such as social security and medicare. Deregulation of the economy is also central. No SEC, no FTC, no DoE, no subsidies, no EPA, no public schools, no income tax, no duty to bargain collectively, etc, etc. Does that sound remotely like Bernie's views on anything? Abortion, MJ, LGBT issues, perhaps. Everything else is pretty much pure anarchism. "

To me these planks of the platform point towards chaos. Even if never accomplished they are roadmaps to the late 19th century.

onward...through the fog
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2016, 12:24:26 pm »

I don't know specifically what they are looking at without being thorough with the list (which I don't have time right now), but in 2015 there were 39 gunfire related deaths, so far in 2016 there have been 31. If you look a lot of the deaths are not necessarily what you would consider a murder. Think auto accidents, falling, heart attacks. They include them all, even 9/11 related illnesses of which there were 8 last year and only 1 so far this year. To say there is not an increase in violence towards cops at least on a measurable level is disillusion. There has been what would equate to 1/5 of a year's worth of gunfire related cop fatalities in one week. Hopefully it is an anomaly. But it doesn't discount the "fact".

These type events look alarming, and it is alarming that anyone is killed during police related events, but this year cannot be compared in any meaningfully statistically way to just last year.  The year may end up higher than last, but in 2013 there were 31 total, so 2014 saw about a 25% increase....is that number meaningful?  Not yet.  A few more years will be required to see if this is a real trend or just a blip.  The decade average is 53 - this year is still likely to be lower than that....

9/11 had 72 officers killed in 1 day - putting us on "pace" late that afternoon for more than 26,000 police deaths per year.  Not meaningful.

erfalf
City Father

« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2016, 01:06:12 pm »

These type events look alarming, and it is alarming that anyone is killed during police related events, but this year cannot be compared in any meaningfully statistically way to just last year.  The year may end up higher than last, but in 2013 there were 31 total, so 2014 saw about a 25% increase....is that number meaningful?  Not yet.  A few more years will be required to see if this is a real trend or just a blip.  The decade average is 53 - this year is still likely to be lower than that....

9/11 had 72 officers killed in 1 day - putting us on "pace" late that afternoon for more than 26,000 police deaths per year.  Not meaningful.

I'm with you. I was just pointing out how they likely came up with that meaningless, yet probably entirely accurate stat.

erfalf
City Father

« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2016, 01:08:54 pm »

Thank you!

The same fact checks that "fact checked" the statements made by a grieving mother? Fact checkers have been notorious cherry pickers. I wouldn't put too much stock in what they say. Not necessarily what they say, but what they don't say.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org