A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:52:23 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa Sports Teams  (Read 11587 times)
Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« on: June 28, 2023, 07:08:15 am »

So we have the Tulsa Oilers Hockey and Tulsa Oilers Football but, we’re changing the Tulsa Drillers name to the Tulsa Sound?

Just heard this on a TW Magazine podcast.

Seems strange to me we would name the football team the same as the hockey team.
And, are we putting a huge clef in place of the rig at the corner for baseball?
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2023, 07:16:52 am »

lol, I don't see anything about them changing the Tulsa Drillers' name and there would be massive backlash to that due to all the history and such. They do occasionally "rebrand" for one game or one week. A couple years ago they became the Tulsa Noodlers for a game or two.

It is weird that they named the football team the same as the hockey team, but I think they were too lazy to deal with extra branding costs and probably a little pessamistic about the team/league actually being successful. How have they been doing? I haven't heard much. I meant to go to a game but keep forgetting.

Actually, I just looked and there's a game this weekend. Went to get a ticket on ticketmaster and it was supposed to be $11.00, but when you go to buy it jumps to $28 and change. Classic ticketmaster. I'd easily go for $11, but paying more than double in fees has me thinking maybe I'll wait till Saturday and see how I feel. At least it looks like a decent number of tickets have sold already. They've sold about half the lower bowl. Not a ton of people, but about on par with a typical Tulsa FC game?
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2023, 08:25:12 am »

lol, I don't see anything about them changing the Tulsa Drillers' name and there would be massive backlash to that due to all the history and such. They do occasionally "rebrand" for one game or one week. A couple years ago they became the Tulsa Noodlers for a game or two.

It is weird that they named the football team the same as the hockey team, but I think they were too lazy to deal with extra branding costs and probably a little pessamistic about the team/league actually being successful. How have they been doing? I haven't heard much. I meant to go to a game but keep forgetting.

Actually, I just looked and there's a game this weekend. Went to get a ticket on ticketmaster and it was supposed to be $11.00, but when you go to buy it jumps to $28 and change. Classic ticketmaster. I'd easily go for $11, but paying more than double in fees has me thinking maybe I'll wait till Saturday and see how I feel. At least it looks like a decent number of tickets have sold already. They've sold about half the lower bowl. Not a ton of people, but about on par with a typical Tulsa FC game?

No, it's just that the Tulsa Oilers is Tulsa's traditional name for sports teams. The Drillers replaced the baseball Oilers when they moved to Louisville in 1976. Tulsa Oilers baseball started in 1905. The Oilers hockey team, originally the "Ice Oilers" date to 1929. Tulsa being the Oilers is far older than the Edmonton Oilers, which originated in 1971 or the Houston Oilers, 1960.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2023, 01:42:58 pm »

The Drillers do this every season now as part of the Tulsa 918 weekend.

I.E. https://www.truebluela.com/2021/7/9/22569566/tulsa-drillers-los-angeles-dodgers-mlb-news

This year they'll be called the Sound for the weekend.  Actually, I think it has already passed.

Brilliant, actually.  Gives the team more merch options.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org