A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:27:06 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 31st and Harvard Area  (Read 15266 times)
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2016, 08:05:14 am »

I've got a bunch of rabbits available for adoption.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2016, 09:28:42 am »

I have several dozens wild cats you (or your owl) can have.

Speaking of your owl, I saw this guy just off of 36th while on a bike ride:

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2016, 09:31:41 am »

http://www.newson6.com/story/32320568/midtown-homeowners-argue-churchs-expansion-plan-puts-owls-at-risk

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2016, 10:59:25 am »

Sorry for the long post, but I should have started a thread on my little slice of Tulsa 10 years ago.

I've lived near 31st and Harvard for nearly 15 years now. A good bit has changed and a good bit more is changing just in the square mile surrounding the intersection. Few things truly of note on a municipal scale, but I was thinking of all the changes in the last 15 years in this small area that is +/- half a mile of 31st and Harvard. Since we don't have an active neighborhood group, I'm starting one here.

I lived in the southeast square mile corner (poor area) 3 different times in the 50's and 60's for a grand total of about 8 - 10 years.  I still like the area and have many fond memories.

Safeway at the southeast corner.  Walmart Market now??  Would walk from home to get candy, pop, etc.  In summer, after walking that half mile or so, would go to the freezers, open the door and just stand there 'cooling' off and breathing that icy cold air!  Always refreshing.

Had my first savings account at Home Federal on the northeast corner.  Bank of Oklahoma now, it looks like.  Kept that account from about 1956, through Sooner Federal times, until the Ronald Reagan Memorial Savings and Loan bust of the early 80's.

Lived in a house near 40th and Jamestown on the cul de sac (mid 50's) where the family got it's first gas powered lawn mower.  Lawn Boy.  Red engine, green deck.  That sucker could mow so much more than a reel type push mower!!  It was astounding at the time!  Not all the lots were filled in at the time - still building up.  By the time we got back in the 60's, it was all full as well as the main arterial streets.

Same house - got to see my first tornado!  Was coming from west (of course) pointed "at" us, but moving slightly to the south.  The entire neighborhood was out in front yards watching!  Good times!!

Lived at 3500 block on South Toledo for a while.  There was a small oak tree in the front that was planted when the house was built.  Today - that tree has a plaque in front of it placed by some organization I never heard of "celebrating" the age of the tree as being planted before statehood!!  Geeeezzzz....  It was about 12" diameter in early 60's.  I buried a 'time capsule' at the base of that tree with a note in it, and a small handful of coins.  Mostly pennies, but a few nickels, couple of dimes, and I think 1 quarter!  All silver, since it was before 1964!

Lived there when Kennedy was assassinated.  They closed school and sent us home because "someone shot Mr. Kennedy"....all the kids were puzzled as to why someone would shoot our Principal...whose name was Mr. Kennedy.  Found out it was the other one when we got home.

Mockingbird Lake was just a couple blocks away and always fun to go visit.

Church at 35th and Harvard is bigger - and we didn't have the playground they have now!!

Would go wandering through the Ranch Acres area - had friends that lived there, so would go play with them.  Was astounded at the size of those houses then compared to the "closets" we lived in at the time....

The Methodist Manor compound on 31st was just one old brick building - the rest of the land was just bare.  Made a nice playground.  

Whiteside Park had a perfect bath building where a friend and I would go to smoke!  He would steal cigarettes from his mom and we would go sit behind the pool to burn them up.  We were both 6.  His older brother is a local businessman in BA selling lawn/garden equipment.  Good guys!   Pool is gone now.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 11:02:06 am by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
MyDogHunts
Activist

ascetic hedonist

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2016, 05:35:56 pm »

Pool still there if I'm not mistaken.

The City Council wants the church to come back with a detail site plan showing some trees being saved & added. The current plan shows 41 spaces. The Council wants some documentation as to the need.

I understand the churches desire to make good use of the property, which they own.  Wouldn't some shade, a picnic table or two & a BBQ be a nice touch for a congregation.  A bench?  Well at least some shade, I never understood why all parking lots don't have trees... it can work.

I ran from OK about 50-yrs. ago & in 2010 I saw downtown's potential.

Tulsa's in a Phoenix rise, reason enough to stick around.

Besides... you can't fully be an Okie except in Oklahoma.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2016, 01:28:14 pm »

Pool still there if I'm not mistaken.

The City Council wants the church to come back with a detail site plan showing some trees being saved & added. The current plan shows 41 spaces. The Council wants some documentation as to the need.

I understand the churches desire to make good use of the property, which they own.  Wouldn't some shade, a picnic table or two & a BBQ be a nice touch for a congregation.  A bench?  Well at least some shade, I never understood why all parking lots don't have trees... it can work.

City of Tulsa says Whiteside has a pool.  Must have put a building around it.  Nice!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2016, 03:48:44 pm »

I learned today that a carwash is going in where Trippets was located for so many years.  Very sad to see Trippets go out and the building torn down.  I assume it'll be one of the full service fancy carwashes and not a drive in and spray type like what was removed from Cherry Street.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2016, 07:14:35 am »

Well that's disappointing. Not that I have a problem with the car wash, but it really doesn't add anything to the neighborhood either.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2016, 08:00:11 am »

https://www.sadtrombone.com/?play=true
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2016, 10:04:07 pm »

Well that's disappointing. Not that I have a problem with the car wash, but it really doesn't add anything to the neighborhood either.

Sure it does!  Oily waste water!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2016, 01:59:42 pm »

I learned today that a carwash is going in where Trippets was located for so many years.  Very sad to see Trippets go out and the building torn down.  I assume it'll be one of the full service fancy carwashes and not a drive in and spray type like what was removed from Cherry Street.

Another auto-maintenance related business along that street.  Once the ball is going will it be like 11th?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2016, 02:15:37 pm »

Sure it does!  Oily waste water!

I believe those kinds of sites are required to clean the water.  I have also heard that the water gets recycled but I don't know that to be a fact.

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2016, 04:24:19 pm »

Oil and Water separators....It won't be a problem....There will be pits to collect "Dirt" and then the water is released to the sanitary sewer....

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2016, 02:23:48 pm »

I have several dozens wild cats you (or your owl) can have.

Speaking of your owl, I saw this guy just off of 36th while on a bike ride:

A good sized one paced me for a quarter block last night while I was driving eastbound on 31st near Yorktown.   He took the lead a few feet off my bumper.  Impressive span.

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2023, 02:01:18 pm »

Trenchers makes up for every other Deli that every went out of business!

Not only is Trenchers Deli still there, but they expanded into the former Jeromes jewelry and added a bar.
They are also open past 3... till 1am now.  Sandwiches still great, but I could suggest adding some upscale domestic beers, maybe Marshals?

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org