A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:52:41 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Here's a radical thought: Tear down 1 Williams Tower  (Read 33586 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2016, 11:04:51 am »

To rebuild the meeting space on the east side you would take out the green space. You would also have to redo the parking structure that is under the green space. You could then reconstruct what you just tore down and reinforce the foundation of the hotel as it needs to drop ~20 feet in elevation to connect to 2nd.

Then you can demolish a few hundred thousand square feet of a fully occupied Williams building (including the cafeteria, data center, gym and sky bridge to the hotel) and extend the road a further block to hook up at 1st.

The result would save a one block detour.   Someone else can figure the price on that, safe bet it is in this format $X00,000,000.00 (solve for X).

Stopped future super blocks should be a no-brainer. If there are super blocks that have a path that can be a road, or are underutilized, or can be tunneled under...lets talk. But why do we keep discussing tearing down structures portions of downtown that are dense, heavily utilized, and would cost hundreds of millions of dollars? The cost benefit is dubious, and the chance of ever getting funding or public support is zero.

A well-placed meteor strike would save millions or a billion or so.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2016, 11:39:27 am »

Even with my basic philosophy of "anything worth doing is worth overdoing", that seems just a little excessive....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2016, 07:41:39 pm »

Earthquake might be more likely??
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org