A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:34:24 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: USA BMX to move headquarters to Tulsa  (Read 69654 times)
TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2017, 04:49:26 pm »

A better question is though, why would it make any difference to USA BMX when they are getting a $15 million facility paid for by tax payers?

I think it's a win-win for a new multi-million dollar legal civic slush fund and for those who think 15th & Yale would be a perfectly good corner for more surface parking that could accommodate more winnebagos and horse trailers a handful of times each year.

A few years ago (pre-Athletics), back when I was trying to lobby both the county and the new North American Soccer League on the stadium's easy-to-convert viability for a soccer team that could reasonably draw 5,000 fans per match, I was taken aback at the county's near obsession with surface parking. In particular, I wanted to share an idea proposed by former Chicago Fire GM Peter Wilt to replace the parking lot in the middle of the horsetrack with a multiple field complex for youth soccer. The only one in favor of even exploring the idea was Karen Keith, the rest told me it would never be seriously considered. I really didn't mind disagreement for future use of the site as much as I resented their priorities.

If the stadium were still available for soccer, I'd rather see both the Roughnecks and A's playing there than at ONEOk and LaFortune, respetively.
And I'd ultimately like to see a Tulsa Athletic(s) club in Peter Wilt's proposed new league alongside fellow NPSL clubs FC Wichita and Little Rock Rangers...
https://www.socceramerica.com/article/73705/nisa-ex-fire-gm-peter-wilt-plans-launch-of-d3-lea.html

Looking on their website at their sponsors or corporate partners, I don’t see any drink companies affiliated with them.  Taking a wild stab at who they might have as a partner, I Googled Monster Energy, USA BMX and got some hits, but I’m still not clear if Monster sponsors some riders or teams or if they are a corporate partner.

Funny how a lack of due diligence at the start caused all this...
It's no surprise that there was a hitch because the idea of USA BMX at old Drillers Stadium was a last minute addition to Vision2025 no matter what their supporters say.
I think it's pathetic that the county kept the Athletics in the dark right up to the minute this taxpayer funded scheme became public.

So, why the hell couldn't they have waited until the full deal was inked before dismantling a perfectly good stadium? Scumbags.
And now we're back at square one with the original concept I watched presented to the city council using land along the river in south Tulsa.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 06:14:06 pm by TulsaRufnex » Logged

“Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.”
― Brendan Behan  http://www.TulsaRoughnecks.com
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2017, 05:55:47 pm »

I think it's a win-win for a new multi-million dollar legal civic slush fund and for those who think 15th & Yale would be a perfectly good corner for more surface parking that could accommodate more winnebagos and horse trailers a handful of times each year.

A few years ago (pre-Athletics), back when I was trying to lobby both the county and the new North American Soccer League on the stadium's easy-to-convert viability for a soccer team that could reasonably draw 5,000 fans per match, I was taken aback at the county's near obsession with surface parking. In particular, I wanted to share an idea proposed by former Chicago Fire GM Peter Wilt to replace the parking lot in the middle of the horsetrack with a multiple field complex for youth soccer. The only one in favor of exploring the idea was Karen Keith, the rest told me it would never be seriously considered. I really didn't mind disagreement for future use of the site as much as I resented their priorities.

If the stadium were still available for soccer, I'd rather see both the Roughnecks and A's playing there than at ONEOk and LaFortune, respetively.
And I'd ultimately like to see a Tulsa Athletic(s) club in Peter Wilt's proposed new league alongside fellow NPSL clubs FC Wichita and Little Rock Rangers...
https://www.socceramerica.com/article/73705/nisa-ex-fire-gm-peter-wilt-plans-launch-of-d3-lea.html

Funny how a lack of due diligence at the start caused all this...
It's no surprise that there was a hitch because the idea of USA BMX at old Drillers Stadium was a last minute addition to Vision2025 no matter what their supporters say.
I think it's pathetic that the county kept the Athletics in the dark right up to the minute this taxpayer funded scheme became public.

So, why the hell couldn't they have waited until the full deal was inked before dismantling a perfectly good stadium? Scumbags.
And now we're back at square one with the original concept I watched presented to the city council using land along the river in south Tulsa.

I started reading your post and thought to myself: “Hey wasn’t that proposed during the council presentations for Johnson Park?”  I think that’s where it was.  Like you and cannon_fodder, it irks me they kicked out a tenant and started knocking down the facility before they’d even reached a legal agreement with USA BMX.  The facility was still in nice shape last time we attended a game there, it’s not like it was falling over and needed a demo.  It could have hosted the Athletics and other teams for many years to come.

Deals like this always seems to have been an issue with the County Commission.  You have three seats, I believe the terms are six years, and there’s really no oversight of the Commission.  Most people aren’t aware of the power they have so I really don’t believe anyone puts much thought into these races once someone is seated on the commission.  Randi Miller is the last one I can think of who was voted out and that was only due to what a controversial individual she was and the fact that Sally Bell was able to rally enough votes from people sympathetic for what had happened with Bell’s being railroaded off the property.  Other than Miller’s ouster, it seems to be one’s position to hold until they no longer want it.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 06:00:22 pm by Conan71 » Logged

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2017, 07:53:31 am »

I nominate Tulsa Athletic's co-owner Sonny Dalesandro to run for county commissioner.  Grin

“Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.”
― Brendan Behan  http://www.TulsaRoughnecks.com
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2017, 11:15:30 am »

What's the closest QT to that corner?  21st and Harvard?
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2017, 03:00:00 pm »

There are plenty of open parking lots downtown.  Just sayin'.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2017, 03:42:33 pm »

I know this is crazy and makes no sense, but they could sell the site to BMX for a nominal fee and then it wouldn't be part of Expo Square or covered by it's contract with Coke.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2017, 03:56:28 pm »

I know this is crazy and makes no sense, but they could sell the site to BMX for a nominal fee and then it wouldn't be part of Expo Square or covered by it's contract with Coke.

I was thinking something along that same line.  Or, dig into that contract and find some other way to maneuver the ownership or similar to void the contract.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2017, 10:25:02 am »

There are plenty of open parking lots downtown.  Just sayin'.

Lets find somewhere to put it! 

Criteria/wishlist:

1. 250,000 - 300,000+ square feet of land (similar to what expo square has)
2. Prefer under government control
3. Prefer existing structure that can be converted to HQ building
4. Prefer somewhere with synergy with existing infrastructure (if we have to build new roads, sewers, etc., $15mil goes away in a second)
5. Synergy with existing businesses (if people stay in a hotel, go to the BMX, and go home the City gains minimal revenue)
6. NOT giving away parkland

A.  My first thought are the lots directly north of Cain's.  I know TDA owns some land up there, exactly what I'm not sure.  But there is plenty of room, it ties in well with the Brady, it is an underutilized part of the City, and a BMX USA HQ sign on the second half of Stove Pipe Hill would be an awesome billboard from 244.  It would also utilize existing infrastructure perfectly and not touch parkland.
https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1627134,-95.9930595,521m/data=!3m1!1e3

B. The Fin Tube site.  Most of the same attributes, PLUS the possibility of retaining some indoor facilities but with the added cost of environmental cleanup.  However, there is enough land it would be possible to add mountain biking track for cheap, cyclo cross for cheap, or something like a velodrome if we felt overly ambitious (one of the things you show on a possibility plan, but likely never actually build).
https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1633699,-95.9815485,782m/data=!3m1!1e3

C. Unusable land between the BA and 444.  Directly across the BA onramp from Boston Ave. Methodist church there is a large section of unused land that the freeway wraps around.  Use it.  There is plenty of surface parking for events, so long as it isn't a church day in the middle of a TCC school day.  While it doesn't tie in very well to a district, it is close PLUS the BA is a direct line to the fair grounds (where the BMX nationals take place around Thanksgiving).
https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1427618,-95.9805302,791m/data=!3m1!1e3

D. Land south of 71st across from Turkey Mountain.  Much of it is City controlled, unfortunately some of it used for drying out solid waste... but there is a lot  of land over there.  Hard to use land.  It would tie in well with the trail system, the desire to develop the river, and the bike improvements coming to Turkey Mountain.
https://www.google.com/maps/@36.0555848,-95.9806508,2006m/data=!3m1!1e3

E. Land to the south of 61st, across from Turkey Mountain (bounded by 61st and 67th, Hwy 75 and Elwood).  Some of it is City, much of it I believe is held a well known Tulsa family.  It used to be part of the trail network at Turkey, but was cutoff.   Close to existing infrastructure at Tulsa Hills and ties in great with the trails.  Easy trip from several ways to get to Expo. Also - it could be built to seem as if it were in the woods (and largely it would be).  Bonus - open the rest of the land up to expand the Turkey Mountain trails.
https://www.google.com/maps/@36.0717278,-95.9964609,1957m/data=!3m1!1e3

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2017, 01:21:46 pm »

D. Land south of 71st across from Turkey Mountain.  Much of it is City controlled, unfortunately some of it used for drying out solid waste... but there is a lot  of land over there.  Hard to use land.  It would tie in well with the trail system, the desire to develop the river, and the bike improvements coming to Turkey Mountain.
https://www.google.com/maps/@36.0555848,-95.9806508,2006m/data=!3m1!1e3

Tulsa Tough rolled out a proposal last May for a multi-discipline bike park in this general area, also making use of land on the north side of the bridge.  It's hard to argue with this spot as TT's proposal was inclusive of flow tracks as well as world-class cyclo-cross tracks, and a velo-drome.  Tulsa would have something no other city currently has in terms of a major urban wilderness area with a dedicated cycling center adjacent to the area.  This is something not even Colorado Springs or Boulder could boast.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2017, 06:35:25 am »

News conference slated for today from the old Evans Fintube site.

http://www.newson6.com/story/35813903/bmx-racing-news-conference-set-at-tulsa-evans-fintube-site

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2017, 08:23:25 am »

Good use for the site.  I wonder if they'll try to improve connectivity to OSU-Tulsa and downtown?
hello
Civic Leader

« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2017, 08:38:09 am »

I mean, honestly-this worked out for the better right? Downtown needs more diversity of things to do besides shop and eat and this is something unique.

TylerBGoode
Activist

« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2017, 10:53:27 am »

I mean, honestly-this worked out for the better right? Downtown needs more diversity of things to do besides shop and eat and this is something unique.

You mean other than museums, art galleries and live music?
hello
Civic Leader

« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2017, 10:56:46 am »

You mean other than museums, art galleries and live music?

Yup.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2017, 01:54:26 pm »

Except for the county jumping the gun on dismantling a perfectly good outdoor venue which was great for soccer and other events.  Otherwise, it is great to see the Evans brownfield site come alive.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org