A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:43:12 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buying Stripes In The TPD  (Read 8075 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« on: March 16, 2016, 09:32:10 am »

Turns out officers can buy their way into a higher rank within the TPD.  Vic Regalado did it and went from officer to sergeant, completely skipping over the rank of corporal.  Mr. Transparency For Sheriff declines to say how much he paid and who he paid to retire early and be assured of the promotion.  It’s alleged by one major quoted in the story that the practice keeps the TPD top-heavy at the administrative level.

Ostensibly, this is completely legal, if not entirely ethical.  Kudos to The Frontier for cutting edge investigative journalism and exposing the doucherockets amongst us.

For decades, TPD officers seeking promotions have paid superiors to retire early

“It sounds like you’re buying your rank and literally you are," said former Tulsa Police Chief Ron Palmer

For several decades, some Tulsa police officers have paid superiors thousands of dollars to retire early so the officer can fill their jobs before the department’s annual promotion list expires, an investigation by The Frontier and NewsOn6 has found.

Officers must complete a written and verbal test to compete for higher ranks and their names are placed on a promotion list in the order of how they scored on those tests. Those lists expire after one year and officers who have not been promoted must take the tests again to compete for future vacancies, known as “dying on the list.”

Payments to superior officers who agree to retire early reportedly range from $20,000 to as high as $50,000, and the practice — not sanctioned or overseen by the department — is believed to have occurred at nearly every rank. Other than obscure international examples, The Frontier could find few reports of the practice, called “buying rank” by some officers, existing outside of the Tulsa Police Department.

Those who have made such payments to superiors include Tulsa Police Sgt. Vic Regalado, the Republican candidate for Tulsa County Sheriff, The Frontier and NewsOn6 confirmed.

Regalado told The Frontier and NewsOn6 “there’s absolutely nothing wrong” with paying a superior to retire early.

The practice is controversial and at least two police chiefs raised questions about it.

Tulsa Police Chief Chuck Jordan said he is aware of the practice and once asked the city attorney’s office whether it was legal. Jordan said he was told there was no law against officers paying superiors to retire early and that it did not violate department or city policy.

The current city attorney was unaware of the practice until informed recently by The Frontier and his office could find no record of any legal opinion on the matter.

Former Tulsa Police Chief Ron Palmer said he is troubled by the practice of buying rank, which was “happening all the way up to the rank of major” when he was chief. Palmer was Tulsa’s chief from 1992-2002 and returned to the job in 2007 for three years.

While Tulsa police officers aren’t state employees, Oklahoma Ethics Commission rules appear to prohibit such payments if they were. Additionally, the city of Tulsa’s ethics rules say city officials cannot solicit gifts “or other favors” in return for performing their official duties and that they must disclose benefits received “as a result of an item before the individual … as a city official.”

Though there are state and federal laws that may apply to the practice of buying rank, it would be up to state or federal authorities to undertake such a review.

In some cases, only a few points or fractions of a point separate the top candidates for promotion and a new test could change the outcome. While it’s impossible to say how widespread the practice is, records show three sergeants retired one or two days before the promotion list expired between 2012 and 2014.  Four officers were promoted the next day.

Records show Regalado was promoted to sergeant on March 31, 2013, one day before the list of officers and corporals eligible for promotion to that rank was set to expire. The only sergeant to retire that year was Mark Sherwood, a 24-year veteran who retired the day before Regalado’s promotion, records show.

Regalado and Sherwood served together for a time on the Tulsa Police Department’s SWAT unit.

Records show former TPD Sgt. Mark Sherwood retired two days before the promotions list for sergeant expired in 2013. Officer Vic Regalado was promoted to sergeant as a result.

Palmer said after hearing about officers buying ranks during his first term as chief, he asked the city’s human resources department to review the matter. He was told nothing prevented officers from paying superiors to retire.

“It sounds like you’re buying your rank and literally you are. …. I never thought it was right but there was no state law that was prohibitive of it.”

Regalado: ‘Kind of a private deal’

When asked about the practice by The Frontier, Regalado agreed he had paid a superior officer to retire.

“There was an individual who was less than a month from retiring,” he said.

Regalado said the amounts paid in such cases are based on what the superior officer is losing financially by retiring early. Asked how much he paid, and whether that sergeant was Sherwood, Regalado said: “That’s kind of a private deal.”

Because Regalado was able to skip from officer to sergeant with the promotion, he received an annual pay increase of more than $18,000, according to TPD’s salary scale.

Regalado, who has promised transparency if elected sheriff, talked with The Frontier about the matter but declined to talk on camera.

Contacted by The Frontier, a man who answered Sherwood’s cell phone and identified himself as Mark, hung up the phone after being asked if Regalado paid him to retire early. He did not respond to a voice mail requesting comment for this story.

Since leaving the department, Sherwood has founded a company that sells nutritional supplements and fitness DVDs, according to his website.

Regalado was ranked third on the list of officers who tested for the rank of sergeant in 2012. Because the first two people on the list were promoted before him, Regalado was at the top of the remaining list in March 2013, with the list was set to expire on April 1.

He noted that the practice of paying a superior officer to retire early does not change the fact that the top-ranked officer on the list at the time is still promoted.

“It’s been a practice that has been around for years. It’s an open practice. … There’s absolutely nothing wrong with it. I was No. 1 on the list,” Regalado said.

Democratic candidate for Tulsa County Sheriff Rex Berry said he did not pay for his promotion from officer to corporal in 1981. He said when he joined the department in 1973, he learned that the practice of “paying the guy in front of you to retire” existed in the 1960s.

“I don’t know anybody who paid for a rank. … Personally, I really don’t like it because the old crowd get to control who gets promoted. It’s ripe for corruption.”

The April 5 election  is to fill the remainder of former Sheriff Stanley Glanz’s term in office.

Favoritism and “pay to play” policing has been at the heart of the controversy over the Tulsa County Sheriff’s Office. Glanz resigned following a scandal regarding favoritism shown to a wealthy reserve deputy, Robert Bates, who shot an unarmed man during a gun sting April 1.

‘I’ll give you the slot’

Had the test for sergeant been given again, there’s no guarantee that Regalado or any other officer would score the same. The verbal test is conducted by a panel of outside law enforcement officers. The panel members and questions change, as do the questions on the written test.

Sources inside the department who agreed to discuss the practice — which some call buying stripes — said it is fairly widespread and well known, though some believe it is wrong and question whether it’s legal. They also question whether recipients are reporting the payments to the IRS.

Few people in the department would speak on the record about the practice.

Major Tracy Lewis said she is aware that some officers have paid superiors to retire early, adding that she has not done so. She said she understands the reason why an officer at or near the top of the list would not want to go through the arduous testing process again.

“I might consider doing it if I knew it was legal but I wouldn’t pay thousands of dollars,” Lewis said.

She said while it’s usually no secret who is being paid to retire early, “what’s usually kept secret is the amount.”

Lewis said she believes the practice of buying rank has made the police department “top heavy.”

“We are supervisor top heavy because per the contract you have to fill vacant spots. Now you’re filling them sooner.”

Officer Jeff Cash, a 35-year TPD veteran, said the department’s testing process has changed through the years and improved the pool of applicants for higher ranks. Having a list that expires and annual tests “elevates the quality of the candidate because he’s got to stay in test shape,” Cash said.

Officers test for the rank of corporal in October and sergeant in April. Tests for higher rank — captain, major and deputy chief — are given only when a vacancy occurs. Candidates on those lists also remain for one year after the vacancy.

“Come April 1st, people who are eligible to be promoted, like they’re the next up, are like, ‘Man, there’s no slots,’” said Cash, who has served as a labor negotiator for the FOP.

“What they do is a guy says … ‘Hey if you give a month’s salary that I’m going to lose by retiring, I’ll give you the slot.’”

“There’s nothing kind of morally wrong about that. … Who’s the victim? Two people get together and make a financial arrangement.”

FOP: Process is fair

The state Ethics Commission’s rules on conflicts of interest do not apply to officers of political subdivisions such as the city of Tulsa. However the rules appear to prohibit state officials from doing what some Tulsa police officers have reportedly long considered standard practice.

The rule on “misuse of authority” states that a state employee “shall not use or permit the use of his or her office … in a manner that is intended to coerce or induce another person, including a subordinate, to provide any benefit, financial or otherwise, to himself or herself.”

Another rule on “gifts to superiors by state officers” states that a state employee “may not directly or indirectly give a gift or make a donation toward a gift for an official superior in an agency’s chain of command … nor may any state officer or employee receive directly or indirectly a gift from an employee receiving less compensation from the state than himself or herself.”

That rule has an exception allowing employees to make or receive gifts “appropriate to the occasion” to recognize other employees’ birthdays, marriages or retirements.

The city of Tulsa’s ethics ordinance, which does apply to city employees, states that city officials may not solicit or receive gifts or favors that may influence their performance of official duties.

Jordan said he became aware of the practice after becoming police chief in 2010 and asked the city attorney’s office for a legal opinion.

“I was told it was not illegal and did not violate policy,” he said, declining to comment further.

City Attorney David O’Meilia, in an email to The Frontier Monday, said: “We have conducted a search of the formal legal opinions of the City Attorney and there is no formal legal opinion on the subject. We will continue to search for any informal opinion or advice that may have been provided to TPD on the subject.”

Former City Attorney Deirdre Dexter said she does not recall the issue ever coming up or her office giving an opinion on it.

“I think I’d remember that,” said Dexter, who left the city attorney’s office in late 2010, about one month after Jordan became interim police chief.

The current contract between the city and the Fraternal Order of Police does not address buying rank. The contract allows officers to donate time worked during a pay period to a colleague of the same rank but prohibits officers from paying each other to do so.

Tulsa FOP President Clay Ballenger said the union is not involved in the practice of officers paying superiors to retire early.

“We negotiate the city policy which oversees promotions. Our thing is to make sure the promotions are done fairly and equitably … and that everyone on the list is promoted in rank order.”

Ballenger said he is generally aware that it goes on but has no first-hand knowledge. He said he was once ranked No. 1 on the list when it expired and had to take the test again.

“I’ve always heard that has happened. I got promoted and I wasn’t involved in anything like that.”

Ballenger said the purpose of the list expiring is to ensure the department gets the best and largest pool of applicants for promotions.

“The reason we went to the annual test is so that new people are able to take the test every year… You are hoping to get the best of the best.”

Ziva Branstetter

Editor in Chief / Staff Writer

https://www.readfrontier.com/investigation/buying-rank-tpd-officers-pay-superiors-to-retire/
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 09:36:04 am by Conan71 » Logged

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 11:40:17 am »

Is this one of the reasons why Tulsa needs more money for police?

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 11:47:09 am »

pancakes?

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 01:04:16 pm »

What does this have to do with the kind of officer he is....Huh

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 01:07:23 pm »

If he's willing to pay a bribe, he'll take a bribe.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 01:31:19 pm »

Exactly.  To some degree, it really doesn’t.

What it does do is cast doubt on how he would be as an administrator which is what the Tulsa County Sheriff is.

He looks like a hypocrite and a liar since he launched his campaign on doing away with the Good Ol’ Boy network and getting rid of the pay-to-play system.  Well, now we know he paid for a promotion when he was at the TPD.  Sorry, but that’s pay-to-play.  It may be the culture at TPD but not every officer has paid for advancement.  According to the story, Regalado tested third for the sergeant promotion exam.  Had he been first, he likely would not have been paying someone to retire so he could get his spot.  

This brings up another issue: how was it he was able to skip over corporal when this does not seem to be the norm in the advancement chain.  I am aware of exactly one other cop who has managed to do this at TPD.

Now, let’s talk about the issue of transparency since that’s another one of Regalado’s campaign cliche’s.  He’s refused to provide more details about how much was paid and to whom it was paid.  He also refused to elaborate on the straw donor scandal to his campaign when pressed on it.

I’m simply saying for someone who was supposedly repulsed by Glanz' administrative methods, it sounds like he’s cut from exactly he same cloth.  Speaking of similarities, didn’t Glanz come out of homicide also?

This doesn’t sound like change coming to the TCSD, it sounds like more of the same.

I’d say overall, it appears Regalado has some ethics issues.  That’s still a concern when they are an officer because you don’t want someone manipulating evidence just to arrive at an outcome.  It’s a big deal when someone is put in a position of authority.  It’s a really huge deal when someone might end up running an entire law enforcement department.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 01:33:32 pm by Conan71 » Logged

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 07:52:13 pm »

Exactly.  To some degree, it really doesn’t.

What it does do is cast doubt on how he would be as an administrator which is what the Tulsa County Sheriff is.

He looks like a hypocrite and a liar since he launched his campaign on doing away with the Good Ol’ Boy network and getting rid of the pay-to-play system.  Well, now we know he paid for a promotion when he was at the TPD.  Sorry, but that’s pay-to-play.  It may be the culture at TPD but not every officer has paid for advancement.  According to the story, Regalado tested third for the sergeant promotion exam.  Had he been first, he likely would not have been paying someone to retire so he could get his spot.  

This brings up another issue: how was it he was able to skip over corporal when this does not seem to be the norm in the advancement chain.  I am aware of exactly one other cop who has managed to do this at TPD.

Now, let’s talk about the issue of transparency since that’s another one of Regalado’s campaign cliche’s.  He’s refused to provide more details about how much was paid and to whom it was paid.  He also refused to elaborate on the straw donor scandal to his campaign when pressed on it.

I’m simply saying for someone who was supposedly repulsed by Glanz' administrative methods, it sounds like he’s cut from exactly he same cloth.  Speaking of similarities, didn’t Glanz come out of homicide also?

This doesn’t sound like change coming to the TCSD, it sounds like more of the same.

I’d say overall, it appears Regalado has some ethics issues.  That’s still a concern when they are an officer because you don’t want someone manipulating evidence just to arrive at an outcome.  It’s a big deal when someone is put in a position of authority.  It’s a really huge deal when someone might end up running an entire law enforcement department.

Are you running for something...Huh...Whats your angle here....Huh...At the very least look at his track record as TPD...You're insinuating a lot of things....

davideinstein
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 08:59:04 pm »

Is this one of the reasons why Tulsa needs more money for police?

Just awful.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 06:54:59 am »

Just because something is commonly acceptable in your workplace or not considered illegal by definition does not mean the general public considers it acceptable. Its the general public by vote who passes that judgment. I have never had a job or heard of a job where you could buy out your supervisors position. At least not in the manner described at TPD.

There were others in the TPD system who felt it was not right and did not buy their positions. It goes to integrity.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 08:35:12 am by AquaMan » Logged

onward...through the fog
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 07:49:14 am »

Just because something is commonly acceptable in your workplace or not considered illegal by definition does not mean the general public considers it acceptable. Its the general public by vote who passes that judgment. I have never had a job or heard of a job where you could buy out your supervisors position. At least not in the manner described at TCSO.

There were others in the TCSO system who felt it was not right and did not buy their positions. It goes to integrity.

Your point is correct, but this is TPD, not TCSO. Which I find even more troubling with TPD being the far larger department. 
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2016, 08:34:32 am »

Thanks. Its a strange way to staff management. I hope the military doesn't do it that way.

onward...through the fog
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2016, 09:29:45 am »

Are you running for something...Huh...Whats your angle here....Huh...At the very least look at his track record as TPD...You're insinuating a lot of things....

Why are you so ardently defending someone who has obvious character issues?  This straw donor scandal is so blatant it’s ridiculous.  How do people living on an hourly wage, living in rental property happen to have $2500 to $2700 laying around to donate to a sheriff’s campaign?  Does that not strike you as the least bit odd?  It sure does with me.

I understand if you know him very well that you might be willing to overlook these peccadilloes.  I know Luke Sherman.  If I saw the same issues with Sherman, I’d encourage people to vote for someone else.  We don’t want or need a repeat of Glanz.

Regalado may have been a great investigator with the TPD.  So was Glanz.  Being a great investigator doesn’t mean you have the capability to be a great and responsible administrator which is what the sheriff is.  This is one of the most powerful political positions in the state is a very powerful position within law enforcement.  As such, it’s ripe for corruption and cronyism. 

Glanz’ incompetence as an administrator has and will end up costing Tulsa County taxpayers millions in civil penalties and litigation costs.

Thus far, I’m not seeing that Regalado’s character is any different than Glanz.  We need someone who is WAY different than Glanz to become the next leader of the TCSO.  It’s really that simple.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2016, 12:16:17 pm »

Thus far, I’m not seeing that Regalado’s character is any different than Glanz.  We need someone who is WAY different than Glanz to become the next leader of the TCSO.  It’s really that simple.

With all the media saturation, he's probably counting on name recognition to trump any ethical shortcomings.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2016, 12:25:19 pm »

With all the media saturation, he's probably counting on name recognition to trump any ethical shortcomings.

I see what you did there! That's funny.  Grin
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2016, 08:31:06 am »

He is running for a public office that has a budget of nearly $50,000,000.00. It protects our residents, our courthouse, and runs our jail.  The agency literally has the power of life and death over 600,000 people. It employs more than 500 people. And it was recently embarrassed on a national scale due to lack of oversight and failure to adhere to their own rules. The recent report done by a third party on the operations of the TCSO was damning. No other word for it. Also--- while the scandal grew at TCSO, it started with a "buy a badge " program. So the allegation that the leading candidate for the job participated in a program which has the perception of being similar --- is kind of a problem for some people.

Paying someone off to get ahead at work is generally frowned upon in the United States. While it may be legal, it certainly seems to run afoul of the general ethos of advancement based on merit. If my boss held the position because he had more money and was able to buy a position of authority, he would not garner the same level of respect for several reasons: 1) he didn't "earn" his position, 2) he doesn't have the same learning experiences as others above me, and 3) a perception that he is willing to buy his way out of the rules that apply to everyone else.  There are two reasons you'd pull the trigger on this deal: you want the job now (money, power, advancement, get out of your current job) or you are afraid the test results won't be as good next time.

All of those things may be wrong. He may have been the most qualified man for the job even after the test was retaken. He may not have needed the experiences of corporal to get to sergeant (I believe you can jump straight away without buying the rank). And perhaps this was a unique situation in which the culture of TPD and is really an irrelevant amount of money.

However, he is running for Tulsa County Sheriff on a platform of transparency, running an operation on best practices, and ending the perception of corruption. Failing to disclose who he paid, how much, and if he is being paid to vacate his current job is not transparency. Defending what have the naked appearance of straw donors with no reservations does not aid the situation (clearly you don't throw your donors under the bus - but why not just say "I have to take the filings at face value and welcome my wide base of support. If any investigation ever reveals the donations were inappropriate, I will take the necessary steps to make it right.").

I do not know either candidate for TCSO. I'm not convinced I should vote for one over the other yet. But to pretend that looking at the streams of smoke and wondering if there is fire is malicious seems a bit disingenuous. How many people hate Hillary Clinton because there is a stream of smoke following her around? Whether you agree with peoples conclusions or not, asking questions about "sniper fire" and email servers is certainly fair play when someone is running for public office. I don't see how this is different?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 01:14:45 pm by cannon_fodder » Logged

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org