A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:58:56 pm
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 11TH ST DEVELOPMENT  (Read 127571 times)
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #255 on: April 19, 2022, 07:38:54 am »

I wonder how long the Advanced Auto Parts will last at the SE corner of 11th & Lewis?  New development either completed, under construction or planned on all of the other corners.

tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #256 on: April 19, 2022, 09:31:41 am »

I wonder how long the Advanced Auto Parts will last at the SE corner of 11th & Lewis?  New development either completed, under construction or planned on all of the other corners.

I think they can last as long as they want to. It's not a franchise or anything and I doubt Advanced is going to want to leave O'Reilly and Autozone unopposed in that area. Not sure about KC Motorsports but they own the land so they can sit on it as long as they want to. I do wonder about the various little stores at the Mother Road Shops - they don't have established clientele, are kind of little kitschy stores that aren't draws on their own, and are having to suffer from all the construction. I know one already closed and online it says Gambill's is temporarily closed.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 09:42:20 am by tulsabug » Logged
ComeOnBenjals
Civic Leader

« Reply #257 on: April 19, 2022, 10:12:00 am »

I don't want to force anyone out of business, but hopefully KC Motorsports decides to sell. That land could be used in such a better way for the area. There's plenty of space in Tulsa for a used car lot.
tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #258 on: April 19, 2022, 10:22:11 am »

That's a really small lot - what could feasibly go there? After buying the land, tearing down the existing building, and putting something else up it would need to generate some serious revenue to get it's investment of probably $1m-1.5m back. Maybe a very small dispensary (like we need another one of those).
« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 10:26:11 am by tulsabug » Logged
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #259 on: April 19, 2022, 12:46:29 pm »

That's a really small lot - what could feasibly go there? After buying the land, tearing down the existing building, and putting something else up it would need to generate some serious revenue to get it's investment of probably $1m-1.5m back. Maybe a very small dispensary (like we need another one of those).

I assume it would be part of the development of the old building next door and/or combined with a purchase of the Perry's building. Even on its own its not that small a lot. There will be a lot of value there when the construction is done.
Tulsan
Civic Leader

« Reply #260 on: April 19, 2022, 02:18:01 pm »

The Perry’s property already sold to Lobeck. The KC Auto people have so far refused to sell to anyone.
tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #261 on: April 20, 2022, 07:23:11 am »

Looking at the Perry's property - they sold for $225k in Dec and the city has now raised their valuation of the property from $206k to $450k. I'm not sure of the rationalization for that but if I owned the KC property which is valued around $225k at this point I wouldn't sell for less than $500k if not lots lots lots more. Seems like they're holding all the cards right now. Personally if it was me I'd rebuild it as a more modern building and keep selling high-end used cars there like this:
 -

However holdout properties have their own special kind of charm!

tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #262 on: September 17, 2022, 07:31:44 am »

I was trying to figure that out from the rendering of the intersection.  Odd they didn't show the mixed-use project at the NW corner unless they are waiting to unveil that closer to when it is supposed to break ground later this year.  Wish they could bury the power lines but I know the costs to do that are really high

So driving through this area the other day I noticed the tree addition was eliminating the bike lane entirely - it looked like it was having the bike lane dead-end into a tree and then further down the road the bike lane was magically appearing again but no place specifically for bikes around the intersection other than spilling them into traffic. I guess the rendering shows that too to a degree. Seems like a really poor and dangerous design for a really busy intersection that has become absurdly congested as of late unless I'm missing something.
ComeOnBenjals
Civic Leader

« Reply #263 on: December 20, 2022, 03:45:00 pm »

Did some Christmas shopping today at Decopolis, (@TheArtist)  Cheesy, Buck Adams, and an art gallery. That little stretch has some great energy. There were a bunch of people walking around shopping. One of the shop owners told me that at least 2 restaurants are in the works near Ike's Chili and that Empire pizza is taking over the building across the street.
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #264 on: December 20, 2022, 06:11:03 pm »

So driving through this area the other day I noticed the tree addition was eliminating the bike lane entirely - it looked like it was having the bike lane dead-end into a tree and then further down the road the bike lane was magically appearing again but no place specifically for bikes around the intersection other than spilling them into traffic. I guess the rendering shows that too to a degree. Seems like a really poor and dangerous design for a really busy intersection that has become absurdly congested as of late unless I'm missing something.

I know you posted this a while back but you aren't missing anything - this design is just really stupid and how the city allowed them to get away with this is crazy. The bike lanes shouldn't abruptly end like they will and this is a nationally designated bike route too, so not sure how they were even able to do this. Don't get me wrong, the road diet and stuff is great and I personally don't see the increase in congestion as that bad. 2 lane roads and slow traffic is actually good for businesses and much safer than how it was before but the bike lanes, etc. ending like they will is going to get someone killed or injured. Especially in an area with increasing tourism and someone on a bird scooter is not going to be paying attention and the bike lane ends and bam right into a car.

Most likely everything that is done now is going to have to be torn up too because the city rubber stamped stuff without paying attention and whether this will come back to tax payers for the city's mistake in approving the plans, the contractor who is building it all, civil engineer who designed the plans, or Kathy Taylor's foundation who is doing the TIF funding - I don't know yet.

If you look at the new sidewalks that are done, most of them have multiple power poles, utility wires, etc. in the middle of them! Literally taking up the entire sidewalk. How this got through the city, civil engineers, and the contractor with not a single person questioning it blows my mind. Just about none of the designs meet ADA requirements and the sidewalks are essentially useless because in order to get around some of them you'd have to step off the sidewalk into the planter beds or other areas to get around various things blocking the entire sidewalk.

This entire street project has been a dumpster fire and people are going to be pissed when they find out there is going to be massive delays in it opening because of all of this. I wouldn't be surprised if some lawsuits start flying around and the entire thing just stays like this until they can settle who is going to pay for what to fix it. It's been very hush hush to try and keep it under the radar but it'll eventually get around more. I was just up there several times and walked around that area and it was a pancakes moment. I've seen a few others starting to mention it as well.

Question that should be asked too is why weren't these incorporated into the new funding to bury the utilities? Would have avoided this all together if they had just done it properly. Funny thing in the rendering even show the poles in the middle of the sidewalks - problem in real life is the poles are about as wide as the sidewalk - unlike the renderings which show plenty of sidewalk to each side.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 06:13:17 pm by LandArchPoke » Logged
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #265 on: December 21, 2022, 09:27:35 am »

Did some Christmas shopping today at Decopolis, (@TheArtist)  Cheesy, Buck Adams, and an art gallery. That little stretch has some great energy. There were a bunch of people walking around shopping. One of the shop owners told me that at least 2 restaurants are in the works near Ike's Chili and that Empire pizza is taking over the building across the street.

Thanks for shopping at DECOPOLIS and supporting local! Glad you enjoyed your visit!

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #266 on: December 21, 2022, 02:48:16 pm »

Question that should be asked too is why weren't these incorporated into the new funding to bury the utilities? Would have avoided this all together if they had just done it properly. Funny thing in the rendering even show the poles in the middle of the sidewalks - problem in real life is the poles are about as wide as the sidewalk - unlike the renderings which show plenty of sidewalk to each side.

Noticed this today.  The only thing I could think of is that they are expecting the utility poles to be buried and the sidewalk shouldn't have to "jog" around them if they eventually won't be there.  Not sure how you can open a sidewalk that doesn't meet ADA standards though?

tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #267 on: December 23, 2022, 07:30:33 am »

Noticed this today.  The only thing I could think of is that they are expecting the utility poles to be buried and the sidewalk shouldn't have to "jog" around them if they eventually won't be there.  Not sure how you can open a sidewalk that doesn't meet ADA standards though?

It has to be one of three things:
1) They will be removed in the near future, like you mention.
2) They got an exemption of some sort since the electric poles are only on the north sidewalks and the south ones are free from obstructions (except for a few light poles, but they're more offset so there is probably 3ft of sidewalk on one side of them).
3) They hope no one narcs them out. I would assume since there is no Federal money in this project (that I know of), that there is no Federal oversight so unless someone reports it, ain't nothin' gonna happen.

tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #268 on: December 23, 2022, 07:33:50 am »

Well - at least the renderings are ADA-compliant!  Grin
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #269 on: December 23, 2022, 11:53:40 am »

Well - at least the renderings are ADA-compliant!  Grin

That's the important part.   Grin

This is an interesting concept for a sidewalk.  I do like that there will be a buffer zone between the street and sidewalk or maybe the sidewalk will be really wide.  I don't like the idea of someone tripping into traffic.  Maybe the utilities will be buried or moved to the space next to the street.

https://goo.gl/maps/9HFTTgWXFswz5QT9A
« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 12:01:58 pm by Red Arrow » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org