A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 23, 2017, 06:45:22 am
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vision 2025 Extension - Package Details  (Read 42179 times)
Laramie
Civic Leader

« Reply #390 on: May 16, 2016, 07:53:57 am »

None of the other local municipal tax measures that were part of the April 5 Vision vote are affected. The unaffected measures include three city of Tulsa propositions that are expected to raise about $800 million for public safety, economic development and public transit. Those taxes take effect Jan. 1.

Hopefully, this will only affect a small measure of the Vision 2025 initiative which garnered 64% of the vote.   It's important that Tulsa keeps the same momentum that Oklahoma City has with MAPS.   

Our two largest metropolitan areas need local support for initiatives like Vision 2025 & MAPS to keep up with the current trends to make both cities attractive to business & industry seeking to expand into our state.  Especially at a time when the State has hit a financial shortfall--making deep cuts to the bone.

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #391 on: May 16, 2016, 09:04:13 am »

Hopefully, this will only affect a small measure of the Vision 2025 initiative which garnered 64% of the vote.   It's important that Tulsa keeps the same momentum that Oklahoma City has with MAPS.   

Our two largest metropolitan areas need local support for initiatives like Vision 2025 & MAPS to keep up with the current trends to make both cities attractive to business & industry seeking to expand into our state.  Especially at a time when the State has hit a financial shortfall--making deep cuts to the bone.

Those aren't the main criteria to make the state/cities attractive to business/industry.  Education and infrastructure (roads, bridges, water, etc) are much higher on the list and we as a state are actively discouraging on that front.

“When you wage war on the public schools, you're attacking the mortar that holds the community together. You're not a conservative, you're a vandal.”    - Garrison Keillor

Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without.

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say.
LandArchPoke
Civic Leader

« Reply #392 on: May 16, 2016, 12:51:33 pm »

What many opponents (and even some proponents) of this tax feared is already happening:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/government/city-officials-defend-cuts-to/article_c856782f-5f58-5fca-be53-c3e88ada47f4.html

This is not surprising and will probably be followed by about 150 police positions cut and 60 firefighters. Great job, Dewey! You really had the public going there! Bravo!

So basically we are getting 1 new 911 operators? AWESOME! Wonder how long before Dewey will shift this the same way for Fire and Police?

Exactly the reason why this should have NEVER been funded through Vision.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #393 on: January 18, 2017, 03:55:53 pm »

Some dates are now being applied to the Vision projects:

The new pedestrian bridge at The Gathering Place will be built in 2018
New Zink Dam at 33rd will be built in 2019
The Convention Center expansion/renovation/conversion of old arena  in 2019
Gilcrease Museum expansion built in 2020
Tulsa Zoo Expansion in 2020
South Tulsa/Jenks dam built around 2024

http://kotv.images.worldnow.com/library/37be184c-5714-4df5-99b9-f600852ef67d.pdf
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
Philanthropist

« Reply #394 on: January 19, 2017, 11:26:01 am »

Some dates are now being applied to the Vision projects:

The new pedestrian bridge at The Gathering Place will be built in 2018
New Zink Dam at 33rd will be built in 2019
The Convention Center expansion/renovation/conversion of old arena  in 2019
Gilcrease Museum expansion built in 2020
Tulsa Zoo Expansion in 2020
South Tulsa/Jenks dam built around 2024

http://kotv.images.worldnow.com/library/37be184c-5714-4df5-99b9-f600852ef67d.pdf

That is disappointing if Gilcrease won't start until 2020. Gilcrease expansion is about half funded by TU so really they could start earlier and I would expect some of the other projects could get loans/bonds to start earlier as well even though the anticipated funds would come later. I would expect Gilcrease of all those would push to get dirt moving asap to get their name out there and boost name recognition as a top-notch museum. Waiting that long would just forego that much more revenue.

I would be impressed if the Zink Dam is built so quickly compared to everything else on there. Hope they do go through with it quickly. I wonder how the pedestrian bridge/Zink Dam construction will hamper Gathering Place activities. Will be a bit unfortunate for that to complete just in time for a couple more big construction projects but should be worth it.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #395 on: January 19, 2017, 01:40:06 pm »

That is disappointing if Gilcrease won't start until 2020. Gilcrease expansion is about half funded by TU so really they could start earlier and I would expect some of the other projects could get loans/bonds to start earlier as well even though the anticipated funds would come later. I would expect Gilcrease of all those would push to get dirt moving asap to get their name out there and boost name recognition as a top-notch museum. Waiting that long would just forego that much more revenue.

I would be impressed if the Zink Dam is built so quickly compared to everything else on there. Hope they do go through with it quickly. I wonder how the pedestrian bridge/Zink Dam construction will hamper Gathering Place activities. Will be a bit unfortunate for that to complete just in time for a couple more big construction projects but should be worth it.

Maybe the dam/whitewater flume and bridge projects can be done during Phase 2 of the Gathering Place.  That includes the Tulsa Children's Museum and other improvements at the south end of the park.  Not sure if the mixed-use housing and the new trail along Crow Creek are part of that phase or a Phase 3.  Still lots to be done after the initial park opens later this year.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #396 on: January 19, 2017, 03:44:52 pm »

It would not surprise me if a re-do of the Zink Dam had already been factored into the staging of The Gathering Place either based on the confidence it would get rebuilt in a tax package or a certain private donor or donors would pay to have it done.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #397 on: January 20, 2017, 08:16:35 am »

Gilclrease just did a major expansion largely funded by TU and the Helmrich's, $28,000,000 back in 2014.

http://www.newson6.com/story/26462158/tulsans-get-a-sneak-peek-at-gilcrease-28m-expansion

Obviously, that is not the massive public display area they want or need to properly display s small fraction of what they have.  But to design and contract a great public space takes time.  To plan the displays, prepare the art, and strengthen relationships with the art community takes time.  Three years is might be a fair amount of time even if the project was fully funded today.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #398 on: January 20, 2017, 08:55:17 am »

It would not surprise me if a re-do of the Zink Dam had already been factored into the staging of The Gathering Place either based on the confidence it would get rebuilt in a tax package or a certain private donor or donors would pay to have it done.
The Zink Dam improvements were mutually coordinated with the Gathering Place design which functions well with or without the Zink improvements but definitely better with IMHO.   

Vision 2025 Program Director - know the facts, www.Vision2025.info
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org