A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:54:05 am
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vision 2025 Extension - Package Details  (Read 187897 times)
Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #75 on: January 13, 2016, 03:11:04 pm »

I don't see how Zink Dam can be re-built with recreational gates (whatever those are) and flume AND a new iconic pedestrian bridge (whatever that is) for $62,900,000.

What was wrong with the Midland Valley trestle bridge?

That is the current Engineers Estimate (plus the item below it for mitigation costs).  All of the estimates for the LWD's have been reviewed in detail with an independent engineering review committee and local construction resources.  Additionally, it was escalated for construction inflation to the intended starting time and it includes appropriate contingency's and the cost for advance funding is shown elsewhere.  I assure you, as others can, that the proposed LWD(s) project scope(s) and cost estimates are the most vetted piece of the entire proposal.

I understand from various discussions with Public Works that there are significant structural issues with the Pedestrian Bridge and it's intended expansion that are not easily overcome and unfortunately replacement appears to be the best action.

Vision 2025 Program Director - know the facts, www.Vision2025.info
Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #76 on: January 13, 2016, 03:15:32 pm »

Shocking to some, I even question the $9 million for Turkey Mountain considering the amount RPA is borrowing from GKFF and QT is only $5.6 million unless that is the ultimate payback with interest assuming it is 10 years or so before that project gets its funding.
I understand from what I have read in the media that there is interest on the loan when repaid and from discussion in committee meetings that RPA desires to make some appropriate user enhancements.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 03:22:00 pm by Vision 2025 » Logged

Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #77 on: January 13, 2016, 03:47:00 pm »

Thanks for the link, TulsaGoldenHurriCAN.

Tulsans could end up voting on as many as 11 Vision proposals

https://www.readfrontier.com/tulsans-could-end-up-voting-on-as-many-as-11-vision-proposals/

Just how many Vision propositions will Tulsans be asked to vote on in April?

City Finance Director Mike Kier told the [Greenwood Cultural Center] crowd four: two permanent taxes, one [1] for public safety and one [2] for transit; one [3]for Arkansas River Infrastructure; and one [4] for economic development projects.

Because the City Council and the mayor are also using Improve Our Tulsa funds to pay for Vision projects, an additional three questions will be on the ballot, Kier said.

Those include one proposition [5] to extend a portion of the city’s Improve Our Tulsa general obligation bonds for three years beginning in 2020 to pay for transportation and street projects, and one proposition [6] to extend a portion the city’s improve Our Tulsa general obligation bonds for three years beginning in 2020 to pay for Parks and Recreation projects.

The seventh ballot proposition [7] would be to extend 1.0 percent of the Improve Our Tulsa sales for two years beginning no later than 2021 to pay for a variety of projects.

But that’s not the end of it. Tulsa County officials have said they plan to ask voters to approve a countywide 0.1 percent Vision 2025 sales tax renewal to fund [8-10 or 11] approximately $150 million in road, street and building projects.

My intentions:

[1] public safety = NO
[2] transit = Maybe
[3] Arkansas River Infrastructure = NO
[4] economic development projects = Maybe
[5] transportation and street projects = Probably NO
[6] Parks and Recreation projects = Probably NO
[7] a variety of projects = NO
[8-10 or 11] approximately $150 million in road, street and building projects = Probably NO, but it depends on the projects...
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #78 on: January 13, 2016, 03:48:22 pm »

I don't see how Zink Dam can be re-built with recreational gates (whatever those are) and flume AND a new iconic pedestrian bridge (whatever that is) for $62,900,000.

What was wrong with the Midland Valley trestle bridge?

That is the current Engineers Estimate (plus the item below it for mitigation costs).  All of the estimates for the LWD's have been reviewed in detail with an independent engineering review committee and local construction resources.  Additionally, it was escalated for construction inflation to the intended starting time and it includes appropriate contingency's and the cost for advance funding is shown elsewhere.  I assure you, as others can, that the proposed LWD(s) project scope(s) and cost estimates are the most vetted piece of the entire proposal.

I understand from various discussions with Public Works that there are significant structural issues with the Pedestrian Bridge and it's intended expansion that are not easily overcome and unfortunately replacement appears to be the best action.

Thank you for your response.

What are recreational gates?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 03:56:02 pm by Bamboo World » Logged
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #79 on: January 13, 2016, 04:03:52 pm »

A bridge made for trains cant handle cyclists and pedestrians at the same time? Like its bee doing for the last few decades?

Seems odd. Not saying there isn't something wrong with the bridge, just odd. There are train bridges all over the country that old that still carry trains.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2016, 04:10:33 pm »

A bridge made for trains cant handle cyclists and pedestrians at the same time? Like its bee doing for the last few decades?

Seems odd. Not saying there isn't something wrong with the bridge, just odd. There are train bridges all over the country that old that still carry trains.

Yes, such as the railroad bridge near US 75 / Southwest Blvd, constructed about 130 years ago...

But I don't understand what a new iconic pedestrian bridge is supposed to accomplish.  What's the design?  When is it to be built?  

Overall, I don't understand the current Zink Dam and pedestrian bridge situation.  Is the dam in danger of rupturing?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 06:22:18 pm by Bamboo World » Logged
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #81 on: January 13, 2016, 11:20:57 pm »

TPS is broke, I'm sure they really need money to lower the student to teacher ratio, but funding is funding I guess.

TPS dug their hole by taking money from education to create a complete duplicate police department, mainly to keep things like this out of the news:

http://www.fox23.com/news/news/local/students-parents-accuse-security-officer-using-exc/np34p/

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #82 on: January 14, 2016, 08:17:22 am »

TPS dug their hole by taking money from education to create a complete duplicate police department, mainly to keep things like this out of the news:

http://www.fox23.com/news/news/local/students-parents-accuse-security-officer-using-exc/np34p/

But that's not TPS
Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2016, 09:40:21 am »

I understand there is issues with the piers and portions of the iron structure. Another issue that I am aware of are that the bottom cord of the bridge structure is below the flood of record elevation which adds significant side loading during flood events.  The same condition exists at the 11th street RR Bridge however as that bridge is in RR service the RR (as standard practice, in many locations) can and does park loaded ballast cars on it during extreme events in order to add stability.

Markk
Civic Leader

« Reply #84 on: January 14, 2016, 10:45:06 am »

The Tulsa World and the Frontier have reported that the Vision extension proposal will include (1) Water in the River; (2) Public Safety; and (3) Economic Development. While not set in stone, the breakdown among those categories is:

• River: $157.1M
  • Public Safety: $268.8M
  • Economic Dev: $366M

http://m.tulsaworld.com/news/government/council-and-mayor-hammer-out-vision-package-but-more-work/article_87a58209-65c3-553f-818a-d9472420e1f9.html?mode=jqm

The Economic Development package currently includes:

Gilcrease Museum expansion, $69 million
Tulsa Zoo expansion, $30 million
Watco rail line relocation, $5 million
Langston University-Tulsa, $18 million
Peoria-Mohawk business park, $12 million
USABMX national headquarters, $18 million
Tulsa beautification fund - $12 million
Commercial revitalization fund, $12 million
Community Health Connection building, $10.5 million
Arts Alliance Tulsa, $3 million
Route 66 Trust fund, $10 million
Air National Guard, $9.4 million
TCC career placement, $5.6 million
Airport infrastructure, $32 million
Transit, $60 million
Center of Universe Transportation Hub, $15 million
Advance funding allowance, $25 million
Contingency fund, $20 million

The Councilors and Mayor expect to move some proposals to the Improve Our Tulsa package that will come after the Vision package:

a portion of funding for Performing Arts Center expansion
Cox Business Center expansion
South Mingo corridor
Peoria Connection
GO Plan
Public schools safety and crosswalks
Teach. Live. T-Town.
Mohawk Sports Complex
Discovery Lab
Page Belcher and Mohawk golf course facilities
McCullough Park
A portion of Center of the Universe transit hub

http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagelatest/vision-package-cuts-leave-strong-projects-for-later/article_edd25b58-2603-5ce5-943e-ac0461411cae.html

And some projects are left out of the Vision and Improve Our Tulsa plans:

Raw Space
Bike Share
relocation of a Salvation Army warehouse
Spotlight Theatre rehabilitation
Tulsa Fire Museum
Tulsa Rugby Football Club’s clubhouse

So TulsaNow folks, what do you say? Is this Vision package worth supporting?

It's really tragic that nothing is set aside to finish the Mohawk Park soccer complex.   The entire east side of the park has no restroom facilities, parking is inadequate, and getting in and out is limited to a single road rather than having a road that loops through the park and provides a second entrance/exit. 
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #85 on: January 14, 2016, 11:12:26 am »

Overall, I don't understand the current Zink Dam and pedestrian bridge situation.  Is the dam in danger of rupturing?
Given that it's a low water dam, a "rupture" would simply result in old fashioned river flow instead of confining a few feet of water in a decorative bathtub.

One of the main arguments for fixing Zink Dam is that the design is dangerous.  You can see this in times of heavy flow, when it creates a strong vertical hydraulic.  Several people have drowned because of this over the years.  You basically get sucked under and because it's such a wide area with a vertical circulation pattern, it just keeps pushing you underwater. 

Supposedly, the new design is supposed to be better for fish, too.  But don't remember the details.  I think it's supposed to create a more gentle stair step flow?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #86 on: January 14, 2016, 02:00:53 pm »

It's really tragic that nothing is set aside to finish the Mohawk Park soccer complex.   The entire east side of the park has no restroom facilities, parking is inadequate, and getting in and out is limited to a single road rather than having a road that loops through the park and provides a second entrance/exit. 

I thought they said last night there was money set aside for the Mohawk complex as they called it a “sure” tourism draw.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #87 on: January 14, 2016, 02:09:35 pm »

I thought they said last night there was money set aside for the Mohawk complex as they called it a “sure” tourism draw.

Visitors from out of town playing in a soccer tournament at Mohawk are probably staying at a hotel in Owasso.

rebound
City Father

« Reply #88 on: January 14, 2016, 02:18:48 pm »

Visitors from out of town playing in a soccer tournament at Mohawk are probably staying at a hotel in Owasso.

No,  the guest teams are given a list of hotels, usually a package arrangement between the hotels and the tournament sponsors. (Several years with daughter in traveling clubs...) In previous lists and from talking to friends who came up from Dallas with teams, I don't think an Owasso hotel was even on the list.  But I did not see list for the most recent set of games that were held there, and Owasso may have been added as an option.

As far as logistics and generally "something to do", the hotels downtown are a lot more favorable options than an Owasso hotel. 

And I agree with the problems with the park.  It needs serious work on entry/exit, and bathrooms on the East end.

Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #89 on: January 14, 2016, 02:44:20 pm »

Funding for that project IS presently included but by a different proposition.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org