A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:45:49 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Attic/House Fan  (Read 11003 times)
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« on: August 17, 2015, 09:40:21 am »

Anyone know who to call to get one installed?
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 02:25:04 pm »

I would call a good carpenter.....

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 03:43:17 pm »

Start at Angies List. 

Sorry I can't give you a name - I used to know some good people for that, but long gone now....

Got any handyman skills yourself?  It's not too hard except for running an electric wire.  And avoid Colburn Electric like the plague for that - from direct past experience!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 03:53:34 pm »

Start at Angies List. 

Sorry I can't give you a name - I used to know some good people for that, but long gone now....

Got any handyman skills yourself?  It's not too hard except for running an electric wire.  And avoid Colburn Electric like the plague for that - from direct past experience!!

Are you a shill for Angie's list.....Huh

AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 07:15:44 am »

Sent you a private message... Smiley
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 12:24:15 pm »

Thanks. I could do it myself I think but don't want to mess it up.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 02:15:25 pm »

Lol...yeah.  I am in favor of intellect, information, and studying a topic/service/product for suitability of purpose.  It's called an "informed decision", just in case...

I have actually even used a person found there one time - rare event since I usually do all that kind of stuff myself.  Attic fan would take a few hours, but save a few hundred.  Plus, the labor costs saved let me justify new tools as needed!!  Win-Win!

I also read Consumer Reports and occasionally check out the BBB website, even though the BBB is too often shills for companies....

Gotta find someone with a small bulldozer to do some dirt work next - strange how few of those there are on Angie's....or maybe just rent one and "play"...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 02:30:45 pm »

Thanks. I could do it myself I think but don't want to mess it up.

I would hate dealing with the insulation part of the job.  Just plain ole' itchy...blech!!

If ya really want to do it yourself - or any other project - don't be hesitant to make a practice run.  Will cost a few dollars more that way, but you can go through the entire process ahead of time before doing it for real.  Find out what your attic construction is - truss or stick built rafters.  Buy some 2 x 4's and built a small mockup frame in the garage to match what you find in attic - maybe 4 to 6 feet high or what it takes to work under easily - to duplicate an attic area the size of the fan plus 3 or 4 feet beyond.  Go through all the motions of cutting out the hole, framing the fan space, and even install the fan temporarily into the mockup frame.  You can do the whole thing there before going to the house.  Put sheet rock on the underside of the simulated truss frame and you get the feel for cutting it out, too.  The whole thing might cost an extra $50 - probably less.

Assemble it all with screws (I always use #8 or #10 sheet metal screws the right length to go through the materials working with) so you can take it apart easily afterwards.  Then you have some spare 2 x 4 for next time, or burn them, or pitch them - not losing much either way.  Would save much more than cost of materials.

Making models is an excellent way to do a dry run and you can usually parse it into whatever parts of the project you are unsure about or want to practice most.  The only real cost is some extra time and that is a personal decision - what is your time worth?  Or do you look at it as a "hobby" where your time is no consideration.

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 07:47:51 am »

Thanks for the coaching, I think I might make a go of it.

My attic is 104 years old so it's not truss. The ceiling is lathe and plaster which is part of my hesitance since it doesn't cut or pull out as cleanly as drywall. Electric is something I'm good at so my only worry is placement and a clean cut.
rdj
City Father

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 08:04:08 am »

Thanks for the coaching, I think I might make a go of it.

My attic is 104 years old so it's not truss. The ceiling is lathe and plaster which is part of my hesitance since it doesn't cut or pull out as cleanly as drywall. Electric is something I'm good at so my only worry is placement and a clean cut.

I used to hate cutting thru plaster and lathe walls, but I've started using a blade in my sawz-all that is rated for concrete board.  It makes a much finer cut.  I also drill pilot holes at each corner or where two cuts will meet.  That really helps get the blade on the correct line and helps it finish the cut without blowing out.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 01:18:07 pm »

This is your excuse reason to buy a good Sawzall.  Excellent tool - rdj just gave good instructions.  I like Milwaukee, but everyone makes one....

Circular saw with proper blade will work, too, in a pinch.

Rafter and tie construction....you might want to practice "boxing" the form for the fan in the garage.  Deck hangers for the cross members.  Probably need to add a support hanger (or few) in the area where you are cutting out lumber.  I bet there are some Youtube videos... whole house fan installation.

Feel free to use the 2xY that works for the fan frame - don't necessarily have to match the tie in the attic space.  That age, it is likely to be different size from standard lumber today...no worries that.

Not what I think of when talking attic fan, but this look interesting.... Insulated nicely!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=213&v=XfsLnmtjz1g

http://www.tamtech.com/

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2015, 06:33:30 pm »

Gotta find someone with a small bulldozer to do some dirt work next - strange how few of those there are on Angie's....or maybe just rent one and "play"...

Learning to operate a Skid-Steer Loader (Bobcat) was one of the funnest "chores" Ive ever had to do.  You can rent them and have them delivered to your door.
Resist the urge to yell "destroy" in a robot-like voice, though, least you scare the neighbors.

Hydraulics can be fickle.  You can over-operate the controls and it goes into a kind of a fit where the whole machine just shakes violently with you trapped inside.  Just let go of all the controls until it calms down.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2015, 10:30:49 pm »

If you decide to go through with it and need a Sawsall, give me a call. No reason to buy one for one project.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2015, 12:02:37 pm »

If you decide to go through with it and need a Sawsall, give me a call. No reason to buy one for one project.

He can chase people in his alley on a slow day.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2015, 01:00:09 pm »

I have the sawsall already...just need the rdj recommended blade.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org