A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:24:08 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa history question. Can you help solve the mystery?  (Read 9732 times)
zenmechanic
Citizen

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2015, 01:47:12 pm »

I could look in my Atlas of Tulsa book to find out exactly where this might have been.  It's got street layouts from the 20's up to '62.

Pick a spot and I can scan it in.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2015, 04:25:20 pm »

Could be Funspot Skyline lake out near Jenks. It had swimming fishing camping and some carnival type rides including a great wooden roller coaster. It is now an event center surrounded by housing. Or perhaps Shell Lake in Sands Springs.

Has to be Skyline.  Only place that had fishing/camping nearby.  And the roller coaster!!  Bullett!!  And Tilt-A-Whirl....

I would still go to an amusement park that only had those 3 rides....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2015, 04:27:25 pm »

What about that little lake at 31st and Gary? Those houses look like they are from the 50s and 60s

That was never a camping area though.  Was "with" the subdivision...I think it was there as farm pond, but incorporated into the neighborhood.

Mockingbird Lake was another neighborhood lake.  Always could catch small fish there as a kid....about two blocks away from one place we lived.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2015, 04:29:13 pm »

I could look in my Atlas of Tulsa book to find out exactly where this might have been.  It's got street layouts from the 20's up to '62.

Pick a spot and I can scan it in.

How about the area just north of 36th street at Sandusky and Toledo.  (Just north of Mockingbird Lake mentioned previously...)

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2015, 12:22:26 pm »

Just a thought. 60 years ago ranch acres was not developed. There are a couple of ponds in that area that may have been used for recreation.

Started in the early 50's....It was on its way.....

zenmechanic
Citizen

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2015, 01:12:11 pm »

How about the area just north of 36th street at Sandusky and Toledo.  (Just north of Mockingbird Lake mentioned previously...)

Once I get home from work I'll give it a shot.  How big of an area do you want?
Fatfinger
Tourist

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2015, 10:10:09 pm »

Could be Funspot Skyline lake out near Jenks. It had swimming fishing camping and some carnival type rides including a great wooden roller coaster. It is now an event center surrounded by housing. Or perhaps Shell Lake in Sands Springs.

Wow, thanks everyone for all the great responses.

This Skyline Lake possibility seems to be a pretty good match.

I'll explore your various ideas in more detail and may be able to come up with the answer.

Thanks again!  You've been a lot of help!
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2015, 01:56:35 pm »

What about Mohawk Park? There is a lake there.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2015, 02:06:36 pm »

What about Mohawk Park? There is a lake there.

If you knew the geography here then you'd know Lake Yahola has already been mentioned.

Roll Eyes

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2015, 09:04:50 pm »

http://tulsatvmemories.com/skyline.html

Power is nothing till you use it.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2015, 10:56:27 pm »

https://goo.gl/maps/vqqU4

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2015, 07:58:34 am »

Once I get home from work I'll give it a shot.  How big of an area do you want?

1/4 mile by 1/4 mile would be good.  Thanks!

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2015, 08:01:59 am »

Company picnics through the 50's/60's.  One picnic, rode the roller coaster, alternating with the Bullet, 38 times each - going from one to the other then back.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org