A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:14:38 am
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vision Extension - IDL Removal/Demolition  (Read 106193 times)
johrasephoenix
« Reply #150 on: July 08, 2016, 09:32:44 am »

Instead of burying, how much cheaper is to convert to a boulevard?  If you converted either the southern or eastern leg and left the other intact anyone coming in on the BA could still easily loop around to anywhere they need to go. 
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #151 on: July 08, 2016, 10:15:03 am »

I was watching the Tour de France lat night (yes, I'm a nerd). Coverage includes amazing helicopter shots of the surrounding countryside, forests, rivers, chateaus, castles and towns. Really beautiful.

As they pulled into a town last night they were showing a brick arched bridged going over a river about half the width of the Arkansas riverbed. A two lane bridge with regular traffic flowing over it. Which was built nearly 700 years ago.

But we can't maintain a road in Tulsa for 10 years without it falling apart...

/tangent

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #152 on: July 08, 2016, 12:16:25 pm »

Well, we can. The railroad bridge just north of the 66 bridge dates back to the late 1800's and has carried constant heavy loads. Made from stone. But what's the economic value of that? the railroad had to pay for that bridge themselves whereas the IDL was taxpayer money. It would mean fewer public works contracts, less concrete, less asphalt...fewer jobs and less money passed around. What are you, some kind of anti-business person?

onward...through the fog
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #153 on: July 08, 2016, 01:47:39 pm »

Well, we can. The railroad bridge just north of the 66 bridge dates back to the late 1800's and has carried constant heavy loads. Made from stone. But what's the economic value of that? the railroad had to pay for that bridge themselves whereas the IDL was taxpayer money. It would mean fewer public works contracts, less concrete, less asphalt...fewer jobs and less money passed around. What are you, some kind of anti-business person?

While shoddy work may be a problem, the real difference is the railroad (or any private entity) better understands the importance of routine maintenance in preserving and extending the life of its track and bridges.  Politicians don’t attract many votes for preventing pot holes, but can sing their own praises for building new roads or rebuilding those that have crumbled due to a lack of routine maintenance.
Markk
Civic Leader

« Reply #154 on: July 08, 2016, 02:02:11 pm »

While shoddy work may be a problem, the real difference is the railroad (or any private entity) better understands the importance of routine maintenance in preserving and extending the life of its track and bridges.  Politicians don’t attract many votes for preventing pot holes, but can sing their own praises for building new roads or rebuilding those that have crumbled due to a lack of routine maintenance.

You're correct.  The mindset is so stupid that it hurts my brain just to think about it.

Now that the concrete work appears to be done on the BA southeast of downtown, are they going to also do asphalt?  Even after the repairs, the road is still very bumpy.  Not "damage your car bumpy" like before, but still bumpy. 
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #155 on: July 08, 2016, 02:05:58 pm »

That is the absolute truth. Though in fact since the 1980's shoddy workmanship and materials exacerbate the problems. Always choosing the low bidder, insisting that its our freeze/thaw that is causing the problems and ignoring routine maintenance while budgets stagnated due to lower tax collections makes a toxic witches brew.

onward...through the fog
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #156 on: July 08, 2016, 03:47:18 pm »

Now that the concrete work appears to be done on the BA southeast of downtown, are they going to also do asphalt?  Even after the repairs, the road is still very bumpy.  Not "damage your car bumpy" like before, but still bumpy.  

I am really surprised at how rough the new concrete is - better than the gaping pot holes that were replaced, but still rough.  Also, the exit ramp on North 75 and entrance lane off of Cincinnati still have a lot of pot holes.  Hopefully they are not done.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 03:49:11 pm by DTowner » Logged
godboko71
Philanthropist

« Reply #157 on: July 08, 2016, 10:16:55 pm »

I am really surprised at how rough the new concrete is - better than the gaping pot holes that were replaced, but still rough.  Also, the exit ramp on North 75 and entrance lane off of Cincinnati still have a lot of pot holes.  Hopefully they are not done.

With all the bridge work being done and ll the clearly visible mistakes it won't be long before it's back to being just as bad as it was. Who engineered the patch work? There are thin patches of concrete that will crack and chip especially with all the heavy equipment for all the bridge work.

It's depressing we are wasting so much money on a fix that barely makes it better and is short term. Anyway apologies for thread drift.

Thank you,
Robert Town
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #158 on: July 10, 2016, 09:37:03 pm »

Sounds like a Communist plot - actual public works to the benefit of the public..!!  At the very least, it is Un-American!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
rdj
City Father

« Reply #159 on: July 11, 2016, 10:23:30 am »

You're correct.  The mindset is so stupid that it hurts my brain just to think about it.

Now that the concrete work appears to be done on the BA southeast of downtown, are they going to also do asphalt?  Even after the repairs, the road is still very bumpy.  Not "damage your car bumpy" like before, but still bumpy. 

They intend to cover the repaired concrete sub with the asphalt developed by the former SemMaterials unit now called Road Science.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #160 on: September 07, 2016, 12:19:49 pm »

Rochester, NY (about the same size metro as Tulsa) is dismantling and burying part of their inner loop.  So it can be done...

https://www.google.com/amp/www.citylab.com/amp/article/498203/?client=safari

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #161 on: September 07, 2016, 01:34:32 pm »

I got an easy way to pay for it, have the OTA bury it and make it a toll tunnel. They can lump it together with the Gilcrease Turnpike and Tulsa will have something more than OKC has, connection to go anywhere out of town will all be toll roads. Cimarron, Cherokee, Creek, Turner, Muskogee, Will Rogers, Indian Nations and The Dick Crawford Memorial Toll Tunnel.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #162 on: September 07, 2016, 02:02:26 pm »

Read more on that project:  Rochester is spending $31mil to remove 2/3rds of a mile of a sunken stretch of roadway that is not designated a federal highway or interstate and replacing it with a grade level boulevard. It would cost ~$40mil to rebuild the section due to the numerous bridge replacements and other maintenance they are way, way behind on.  It would be similar to removing 444 if it wasn't an interstate, didn't have complex connections are both ends as well as off ramp, was sunken instead of raised, and hadn't just had money spent on it.  However, 444 has major infrastructure simply to support this leg. To get on from or off from the BA, to get on and off or go under 244. Not to mention the street in the east end designed to accommodate it.

https://www.dot.ny.gov/recovery/sponsors/tiger/repository/74CDA1D23A0D90B2E0430A3DFC0390B2

It works well because they don't need to change any interchanges and fixing it would be more expensive than changing it around. Plus, central Rochester is really choked in... about a 6x6 block square surrounded by the river and the loop.

It could work well in Tulsa too, if it was a 20 year plan. When it comes time to redo those interchanges again - do something different and divert traffic around downtown. I don't think it would be too difficult or cause too many traffic problems. It would be more expensive because it requires redoing interchanges, but if it was long term and cut the cost of redoing them in the future it could work.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #163 on: September 07, 2016, 02:41:44 pm »

All they are doing is burying it. The street, and yes it's a city street, and the bridges are worn as badly as the bridges over it from the rough northern NY winters. It's a zero sum gain, other than saving the money from having to replace the bridges. When the project is done with the new roadway, it looks like they will gain maybe 50 feet of land.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.155947,-77.5971547,3a,75y,151.18h,78.72t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sg_e_YYqbaWubIgcrQ0rPPw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1?hl=en

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #164 on: September 07, 2016, 03:49:56 pm »

It is an important 50 feet. Just think of the safety of keeping cars and people apart.

It would be prime real estate in Tulsa as proposed. The land value would almost equal anything in Tulsa County.

I think it is an interesting idea. It could be a blend of built and new green space together in a great spot for both.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org