A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:47:48 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need some grass, man  (Read 10126 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« on: May 10, 2015, 02:01:55 pm »

Thanks to this weeks wind gusts, we have a large area of lawn recently converted from deep shade to full sun, so Im looking for suggestions on what to re-seed with.
I guess drought-resistant species would be a given, at this point, as well as something that has done well in Tulsa.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
rebound
City Father

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 11:40:22 am »

Are you going to seed or sod? Also, are you going to do it yourself or have it done?  Those variables might make a difference in your choice.  I'm looking to put new grass in my backyard right now and am looking into this topic as well.

For full-sun, you are basically looking at a Bermuda or Zoysia variety.  (Fescue is great Spring and Fall, and will take the sun but not the ground-heat generated by full-sun and will have problems in the Summer.)  But neither Bermuda or Zoysia is great for planting by seed.  It can be done (and now would be a great time to put down the seed) but success will be "iffy" from past experience, and regardless it will take quite a while to cover.   For those reasons, I am going with sod in my back yard.  Because my yard is part full-sun and part mixed-shade, I am leaning towards Zoysia, (specifically El Toro Zoysia) as it handles the partial shade better.  Also, Zoysia spreads by rhizomes, not by runners.  So while it doesn't cover patches quite as quickly, it is also not as much of a nuisance to keep out of adjacent flower beds and gardens.

But if it is a full-sun front yard, it would be hard to beat one of the Bermuda varieties.  Bermuda absolutely loves full sun and heat.  When everything else is wilting mid-Summer, Bermuda is just hitting it's stride...

Here's a few links to some of the area sod stores, with descriptions of the various varieties.

http://www.tulsaturf.com/varieties.htm
http://www.greenacresodfarm.com/ok-turf-grasses/
http://www.eastonsod.com/find-oklahoma-city-tulsa-sod-our-turf-grasses/

If anyone has an opinion on which sod stores are better, I'd be be interested.  I have no experience with any of them.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 09:45:21 pm »

Thanks to this weeks wind gusts, we have a large area of lawn recently converted from deep shade to full sun, so Im looking for suggestions on what to re-seed with.
I guess drought-resistant species would be a given, at this point, as well as something that has done well in Tulsa.

First choice;  Buffalo grass
Second;  Zoysia - sod.

Starting to replace bermuda with buffalo.  Grows to about 4" or so, then kinda seems to 'hang out' there - less mowing needed.  I always leave grass at least 3" tall, so can just kinda let the mowing go for a while....

Have had zoysia in deep shade and all sun - still have it in deep shade - great, strong grass.  Takes a beating.  Slow spreading and very well behaved.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 08:32:34 am »

First choice;  Buffalo grass
Second;  Zoysia - sod.

Starting to replace bermuda with buffalo.  Grows to about 4" or so, then kinda seems to 'hang out' there - less mowing needed.  I always leave grass at least 3" tall, so can just kinda let the mowing go for a while....

Have had zoysia in deep shade and all sun - still have it in deep shade - great, strong grass.  Takes a beating.  Slow spreading and very well behaved.

Which variety of Buffalo grass do you have?  I never really considered it, as my experience with it was with the older varieties that were not really turf-type and produced seed heads too early for my taste.  But looking just now, it does seem that there are a couple of newer cultivars that might be a very good choice.

TeeDub
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 08:49:32 am »

Bermuda does great in full sun and while it takes a while to start from seed, it sounds as though you already have something in place...

It lives without water and comes back every year (at least for me.)
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 09:33:25 am »

Interresting considerations.   If I buy seed from a local greenhouse, is it going to be a "Tulsa" variety, as opposed to buying seed at Lowes?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 11:37:45 am »

These are the experts...

http://turf.okstate.edu/homeowners/selecting-a-lawn-grass-for-oklahoma

http://www.lawngrass.com/states/oklahoma.html

http://www.oklahomaseed.com/grass.htm

Power is nothing till you use it.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 12:39:42 pm »

Which variety of Buffalo grass do you have?  I never really considered it, as my experience with it was with the older varieties that were not really turf-type and produced seed heads too early for my taste.  But looking just now, it does seem that there are a couple of newer cultivars that might be a very good choice.

I don't remember - got a few rolls of sod from one of the south sod farms.  At this point, there must be other varieties - I see Oklahoma Gardening talk about it from time to time.  Start with OSU !!  All the time, for everything green and growing....start with OSU !!

The seed heads I get are kind of attractive, I think, so it adds to the look for me.  And like the white clover I encourage all over the place, when I mow it that means there are just that many more opportunities for 'fill'.  (I don't think the seeds are viable on mine, though, 'cause I never really see much change).

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 01:10:40 pm »

Michael got it covered 'bout OSU before I read it....

rebound
City Father

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 09:04:50 am »

I don't remember - got a few rolls of sod from one of the south sod farms.  At this point, there must be other varieties - I see Oklahoma Gardening talk about it from time to time.  Start with OSU !!  All the time, for everything green and growing....start with OSU !!

The seed heads I get are kind of attractive, I think, so it adds to the look for me.  And like the white clover I encourage all over the place, when I mow it that means there are just that many more opportunities for 'fill'.  (I don't think the seeds are viable on mine, though, 'cause I never really see much change).

I'm familiar with the OSU site(s). Cheesy  I had an acre lot up in Owasso before I moved into town.  The 1/2 in the back was mostly shade and mottled sun because of the pecan trees.  A manicured yard wasn't really an option there, and I turned it into a meadow/park type of thing with lots of native plants, etc.  Even looked into getting it certified by the NWF but never got around to it.  I love the less-manicured look when it fits with the surroundings and neighborhood. 

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2015, 09:23:23 am »

Don't waste your time with seed......

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2015, 09:42:56 am »

Don't waste your time with seed......

Second the motion....

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2015, 09:34:13 pm »

Michael got it covered 'bout OSU before I read it....

I looked those over, and tried a ziplock baggie of Bermuda seed from Stringer nursery. 

Some of the others I might want to experiment with, but I may not have the luxury of time this season (given were half way thru May).
Good discussion, thanks... learned something!

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2015, 12:59:50 pm »

I looked those over, and tried a ziplock baggie of Bermuda seed from Stringer nursery.  

Some of the others I might want to experiment with, but I may not have the luxury of time this season (given were half way thru May).

If you want to experiment, go for it.  Buy a few rolls of sod and place them where you want the stuff to grow.  If you get bermuda sod, you can cut it into smaller peices - probably down to about 1' x 1'.  Make a checkerboard pattern.  It would probably fill in and go to surrounding areas this summer.... it is very aggressive.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 01:01:21 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2015, 08:34:13 am »

May be a little late for this year, but if this spot is low traffic - not a walk path or place where animals hang out - you could experiment with what I do in my yard where the bermuda is.  Lots of white clover.  It comes up every spring, get a nice carpet of very deep green with the little white flowers.  Let the flowers get pollinated and turn brown (drying out) before mowing to replenish and spread.  For us this year, that was last Wed.  The brown flowers reseed the area and when you mow, you tend to sling seed to areas beyond the clover patch, gaining ground without having to buy a seed again.

Couple of things go along with this - very early green in the spring, which is usually very welcome after the brown winter.  Since the clover is a legume, nitrogen - fertilizer - is fixed in the soil that is available to the bermuda later in the year.  It makes a great soil conditioner with roots that go down deeper than many plants, pulling nutrients up from lower levels for use closer to the surface.  Yeah, I know - bermuda has deep roots, but it still benefits quite a bit from the help provided by the clover.

When you mow the clover, it will take a week or so for the bermuda to get up to speed, but it does so quickly.  The area in the bermuda field where you have a heavy stand of clover will be greener and grow better than the area outside that zone.  Meaning you don't need to fertilize anywhere near as much - I never fertilize - to get that amount of green.

Down side - clover can't take a lot of traffic and it will stain clothes if you roll around in it.  Dogs do love it - our dogs would "bury" themselves in it, but they can tear it up pretty easy, too.  IIRC, Lee's Feed on 11th has the seed.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org