A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:20:49 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Davenport Urban Lofts  (Read 124889 times)
BouldinDomer
Citizen

« on: April 30, 2015, 09:01:44 am »

Does anyone know anything about this project? It seems to be happening in the lot just south of Soundpony. We live in Brady Heights so we are by here almost daily, and the signage went up about a week ago.

They have a website, which says nothing, but I can find nothing else about the project.

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 09:11:06 am »

I don't know anything about it either but the rendering looks nice.  I'd curious to know if they are rentals or for-purchase condos.  Those upper floor units will have some stellar views.

BouldinDomer
Citizen

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 09:16:35 am »

The sign says "Starting at 450K" so I will guess they will be for sale.

My first thought was "This would be a fantastic place to watch Tulsa Tough."
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 09:49:57 am »

Awesome. I've been wondering when that lot would be developed. Rendering looks great.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 10:01:01 am »

Whoa, those are spendy (why does it make me think Bumgarner?). It's wonderful that the development is moving north. There is a giant emply lot just across the street that is begging for development and lots of empty space north of 244.
cbs
Citizen

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 12:01:45 pm »

There will be 8 very high end, for-purchase lofts. That's probably all I can say right now.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 12:03:17 pm by cbs » Logged
dsjeffries
City Father

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 12:44:45 pm »

There will be 8 very high end, for-purchase lofts. That's probably all I can say right now.

Only 8 units in that massive building? Too bad.

Change never happened because people were happy with the status quo.
hello
Civic Leader

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 01:10:53 pm »

I'll be so glad when there are actual places to live in the Brady district that aren't $450k to buy/$1,300 a month to rent apartments or only for Teach for America participants. Middle ground, please. 

ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 01:18:57 pm »

I'll be so glad when there are actual places to live in the Brady district that aren't $450k to buy/$1,300 a month to rent apartments or only for Teach for America participants. Middle ground, please. 

I wouldn't expect that any time soon, and probably not ever.
glove51
Citizen

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 01:31:28 pm »

Until they inevitably don't sell, then they will be 8 high-end rentals.
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 02:20:39 pm »

Until they inevitably don't sell, then they will be 8 high-end rentals.

$450,000 isn't terrible compared to the $850,000 Urban 8

I give this project 3x the likelyhood of being successful than Urban 8

Just imagine if this was 16 units for $225,000. How quickly do you think those would sell? I bet 2 or 3 times faster.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2015, 02:56:40 pm »

$450,000 isn't terrible compared to the $850,000 Urban 8

I give this project 3x the likelyhood of being successful than Urban 8

Just imagine if this was 16 units for $225,000. How quickly do you think those would sell? I bet 2 or 3 times faster.

Looks really good too.
dsjeffries
City Father

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2015, 03:35:32 pm »

Looks really good too.

The upper floors look good, but I'm concerned that the first floor has very few windows, is out of scale with any nearby buildings, and is mostly blank brick walls with a couple garage entrances. Definitely not going to encourage any sort of street life. And I doubt the folks willing to pay $450,000 for a unit in the building will ever let their feet touch the sidewalk in front of the building, especially when they can drive in, park, and never interact with another human. See: snout houses.

Change never happened because people were happy with the status quo.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2015, 04:45:17 pm »

The upper floors look good, but I'm concerned that the first floor has very few windows, is out of scale with any nearby buildings, and is mostly blank brick walls with a couple garage entrances. Definitely not going to encourage any sort of street life. And I doubt the folks willing to pay $450,000 for a unit in the building will ever let their feet touch the sidewalk in front of the building, especially when they can drive in, park, and never interact with another human. See: snout houses.

Right, unless there is retail on the ground floor that building will just act as another "gap" in any lively pedestrian fabric.

This is why I have started using the term "pedestrian lively" versus just putting a shout out for "pedestrian friendly".   Other cities have learned the lesson that, yes pedestrian friendly is good, but in order to have an "active streetscape" you need to have what I call "pedestrian lively" development.  I have seen some cities that have zoning along some streets and or incentives to get that type of development.  They will explicitly discourage "living at street level" on these streets for they realize that will harm the creation of a pedestrian lively corridor.  And some will even go so far as to discourage office on the ground floor and will instead encourage, retail, dining, entertainment, services, etc.

If your looking to create that lively, "main street" type atmosphere, living at street level on those streets will hurt that.

Again am reminded of my last "walkabout" in parts of OKC and thinking.... "It's like they took all the pieces (buildings, shops, living, etc,) of a real city, put them in a bag, shook it up, and then opened up the top and scattered them all out there to land willy nilly with no rhyme or reason.  And then in Dallas, streets with lots of living just like this, and the occasional cluster of shops or restaurants, but sidewalks so quiet you could hear crickets.  

I am of course still hopeful about our downtown. But this will create a quiet gap there on main street. 

« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 04:49:16 pm by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2015, 05:03:13 pm »

That's way above my financial threshold of pain for an apartment.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org