A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:10:55 pm
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 143   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Downtown Development Overview  (Read 1076861 times)
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #885 on: November 08, 2016, 09:58:53 am »

The old Folks Market spot has a permit posted for an applicant called "The Oil Can Sports Bar LLC."  Anyone know what that's about?  Is another sports bar coming to downtown?

It seems like "sports bar" has become the restaurant equivalent of "farm to table" - a catch-phrase that doesn't carry much meaning anymore.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #886 on: November 08, 2016, 10:23:19 am »

It seems like "sports bar" has become the restaurant equivalent of "farm to table" - a catch-phrase that doesn't carry much meaning anymore.

I tend to agree in some respects, but a "sports bar" in Tulsa can't really serve the same purpose as a sports bar in a larger more diverse city like Dallas or Chicago.  In those cities you have large populations of people who moved in from other places with loyalties to their hometown pro teams and/or who graduated from various colleges.  Sports bars in these cities need to be prepared to find the game for a Vikings fan, or a Bears fan, or an Ohio State fan, who is looking for a place to see their team play.  In Tulsa you have OU and OSU, and fairly sizable loyal fan bases for the Dallas Cowboys, Chiefs, and St. Louis Cardinals.  Other than that, there really isn't a sizeable population of outsiders.  I doubt that Elgin Park or even Buffalo Wild Wings gets asked very often to tune into the 49ers or Packers or Florida State games.  A sports bar in Tulsa needs, first and foremost, good food, drinks, and service.  They also need plenty of TVs, the broadest sports package available, and a staff that is prepared to find any game available even if those requests are fairly rare.  The latter is where I think local sports bars lack.   
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #887 on: November 08, 2016, 07:15:33 pm »

Residence Inn | 100 Rooms | $9 Million

November 8, 2016 Tulsa World online article by Rhett Morgan, with in-progress construction photos and a project update

davideinstein
« Reply #888 on: November 08, 2016, 07:24:42 pm »

I tend to agree in some respects, but a "sports bar" in Tulsa can't really serve the same purpose as a sports bar in a larger more diverse city like Dallas or Chicago.  In those cities you have large populations of people who moved in from other places with loyalties to their hometown pro teams and/or who graduated from various colleges.  Sports bars in these cities need to be prepared to find the game for a Vikings fan, or a Bears fan, or an Ohio State fan, who is looking for a place to see their team play.  In Tulsa you have OU and OSU, and fairly sizable loyal fan bases for the Dallas Cowboys, Chiefs, and St. Louis Cardinals.  Other than that, there really isn't a sizeable population of outsiders.  I doubt that Elgin Park or even Buffalo Wild Wings gets asked very often to tune into the 49ers or Packers or Florida State games.  A sports bar in Tulsa needs, first and foremost, good food, drinks, and service.  They also need plenty of TVs, the broadest sports package available, and a staff that is prepared to find any game available even if those requests are fairly rare.  The latter is where I think local sports bars lack.   

Go to Leftys or Elgin Park on Sunday, tons of transplants including myself.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #889 on: November 08, 2016, 08:01:19 pm »

Go to Leftys or Elgin Park on Sunday, tons of transplants including myself.

I'll check it out.  I was somewhat unimpressed with my first few visits there but will give it another shot.
davideinstein
« Reply #890 on: November 08, 2016, 08:02:41 pm »

I'll check it out.  I was somewhat unimpressed with my first few visits there but will give it another shot.

It's not like other towns, but transplants are here for sure.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #891 on: November 08, 2016, 08:18:17 pm »

I have a three tap kegerator with either craft or home-brew in it at all times, a well-stocked beer fridge in the garage, and a big screen TV.  My wife is a fantastic cook and I know my way around a kitchen, grill, and smoker pretty well.

What is this “sports bar” thing you guys keep yammering on about?  Grin

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
davideinstein
« Reply #892 on: November 08, 2016, 11:37:30 pm »

I have a three tap kegerator with either craft or home-brew in it at all times, a well-stocked beer fridge in the garage, and a big screen TV.  My wife is a fantastic cook and I know my way around a kitchen, grill, and smoker pretty well.

Place to save money on the NFL ticket for me...
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #893 on: November 09, 2016, 12:24:04 am »

I know where you live, tax roles.  All I need now is an invitation.

Grin

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #894 on: November 09, 2016, 12:41:57 am »

I know where you live, tax roles.  All I need now is an invitation.

Grin

I think we are at a New Mexican stand-off.  We can always trade out a lunch at Enrique's or a lift out to Raton to hang out at our Cimarron place for a few days.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #895 on: November 09, 2016, 12:43:17 am »

Place to save money on the NFL ticket for me...

Add up your bar and food tab and I bet NFL ticket is a ton cheaper...and the food a lot better for you at home

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #896 on: November 09, 2016, 02:32:26 am »

I think we are at a New Mexican stand-off.  We can always trade out a lunch at Enrique's or a lift out to Raton to hang out at our Cimarron place for a few days.

The plane is in process of its annual inspection but we can come up with something in a while.

Grin

Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #897 on: November 09, 2016, 02:05:37 pm »

I'll join in the fight if it means and excuse for a lunch trip to Enrique's...

Vision 2025 Program Director - know the facts, www.Vision2025.info
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #898 on: November 09, 2016, 06:13:55 pm »

I just noticed the shipping container space next to Fur Shop is well under way.

November 9, 2016 Tulsa World online article by Rhett Morgan, with in-progress construction photos and a project update

davideinstein
« Reply #899 on: November 09, 2016, 10:07:37 pm »

Add up your bar and food tab and I bet NFL ticket is a ton cheaper...and the food a lot better for you at home

It's cheaper to go out because more than half of the games are on local/national TV.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 143   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org