A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:49:17 pm
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 143   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Downtown Development Overview  (Read 1087422 times)
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #930 on: December 08, 2016, 10:13:04 am »

Boxyard to add retail bustle to downtown
It’s a two-story facility made up of 39 cargo boxes spread over a 14,000-square-foot lot

Carley Johnson has witnessed first-hand the buzz the Boxyard is creating downtown.

“I had two ladies come in on their lunch break,” said Johnson, owner of Modern Mess, a women’s clothing store in the retail center. “It was before I was even open, but I happened to have a card reader on me. They spent like $200 in my store.

“I was still hanging things up. I didn’t even have bags, yet.”

Johnson will be better prepared this weekend.

The Boxyard, a $2.5 million micro mall built with used shipping containers, will hold its grand opening from noon to 4 p.m. Saturday. Mingling with customers will be representatives from the facilities’ close to 20 businesses.

“I just think this place is awesome,” Johnson said. “I think it’s the originality of the concept of the Boxyard that’s going to bring most of the foot traffic here.”

Boxyard developer Casey Stowe drew his inspiration from a cargo-container-themed center he saw while working for the Brazilian Olympic Team in London in 2012. About a year and a half later, downtown Tulsa property became available and Stowe submitted a request for proposal to the Tulsa Development Authority, which chose the project.

“A lot of credit should go to the TDA for taking a flier on something that’s nontraditional,” said Stowe, a principal with Elliot Nelson in Nelson-Stowe. “I appreciated opportunity and the vision they showed for selecting us.”

Located at the southeast corner of Third Street and Frankfort Avenue, the Boxyard is a two-story facility made up of 39 cargo boxes spread over a 14,000-square-foot lot. Tenants include a microcreamery, bank branch, clothing stores and barber shop.

Two decks sit on the second level, one for live music and the other one for a bar called Open Container.

“We want people to come to the Boxyard not just because we have great retailers but because of what’s going on, because you can grab a cup of coffee at Dwelling Spaces and sit outside and read a book.

“You can go have a cocktail. You can listen to music. We want people to have an experience when they shop.”

In the long term, Stowe hopes the Boxyard, which was designed by Selser Schaefer Architects, spawns further retail development within the Inner Dispersal Loop.

Just west of the Boxyard, pre-leasing has begun for 10,000 square feet of retail, restaurant and entertainment space at 302 S. Frankfort Ave. In addition, nearby is the proposed $200 million Santa Fe Square, which will feature retail and office space, 291 apartments and a Hotel Indigo.

“Everybody talks about a vibrant core,” Stowe said. “Everybody talks about all the growth that’s going on downtown. We’ve got the bars and restaurants. We’re building on multifamily, getting people to live down here. One of the last things we need to bring back is retail. That’s one of the last pieces of the puzzle.

“The great thing about retail is that it’s a sales tax generator. So it’s good for the city.”

Grand opening
When: noon to 4 p.m. Saturday

Where: Third Street and Frankfort Avenue

Events: Live music and shopping. Dwelling Spaces and JoeBots coffee will be providing free coffee and hot chocolate, courtesy of the Boxyard.
Tenants
Dwelling Spaces & JoeBots Coffee

Blue Sky Bank

STEMcell

Abelina’s

Modern Mess

Boxyard cleaners (official name to be determined)

Landella

East+West

Beau & Arrow

Sweet Boutique

Rose Rock Microcreamery

The Water Co.

Wirwar

Barber shop (name TBD)

Open Container

Sole Massage

http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/retail/boxyard-to-add-retail-bustle-to-downtown/article_337d2417-213d-540a-81f1-b56cbccac1a4.html
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #931 on: December 08, 2016, 10:16:03 am »

Just west of the Boxyard, pre-leasing has begun for 10,000 square feet of retail, restaurant and entertainment space at 302 S. Frankfort Ave.

I didn't know that is what was being built there in the old news building. Good to know it will be something that can add to the cohesiveness of the area, making it more walkable from Blue Dome, down 3rd street.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #932 on: December 08, 2016, 10:38:06 am »

I didn't know that is what was being built there in the old news building. Good to know it will be something that can add to the cohesiveness of the area, making it more walkable from Blue Dome, down 3rd street.

If it were more office space or another purely residential place, that would kill the potential for making this area a good shopping district. Looks like this could be on its way to that, even before Santa Fe is built.

Would be neat to add a food truck lot east of Fur Shop like you see in Austin. That lot is the last hold out on this stretch that has completely transformed over the last few years. I love how Austin turned every empty lot into a food-truck/retail-trailer yard:
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2487353,-97.7500363,3a,49y,116.74h,88.6t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1seHWNGBcAZcRs5oGfgHoXwA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2510677,-97.7490779,3a,25.4y,62.03h,86.98t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1saYr8VI621azAw68AMAouXw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/search/food+truck,+austin/@30.2508943,-97.7545771,3a,34.7y,80.04h,84.04t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sFeqYXqEy41nCCFGh4fr_Mg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2654514,-97.7445267,3a,49.3y,56.54h,82.99t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s7rfAeuMsLPdFOT_nIBgdpQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

It is cheaper and a lot more flexible than a typical establishment. I know we have Park in the Pearl and newly-opened Fuel 66 Truck Yard (which has bar and a great patio), but adding more retail/restaurant lots would be a good way to increase density of places downtown expand downtown. There are all kinds of shops too: Bicycle rental, repair shops, clothing, boutiques. It is much like the diversity of the Boxyard. That kind of scale (along with clustering) really increases what is financially feasible. It would be much better than a bunch of empty lots.

Maybe that could even be the (shorter-term) future of downtown growth to the southern parking lot expanse: Set lots up to be quaint eccentric-looking areas with some landscaping and stalls for trailers. easy to move if something comes along to build a building, but much better than a parking crater. For example, make a boardwalk over a parking lot with easy access stalls to food trucks. Mimic what Prairie Brewpub did for seating and potted plants... Would be nice to see that south of Fassler or in the blank lot by Inner Circle.
hello
Civic Leader

« Reply #933 on: December 08, 2016, 11:56:04 am »

I wish the Boxyard well. I checked out Dwelling Spaces and was slightly disappointed. It went from being a jewel for shopping downtown to a random assortment of stuff in a not very welcoming environment. I hope they find their footing soon.

There is also new retail near the Hooper Brothers building. Post and First Street Flea. Great concepts, just a pain to get to.

BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #934 on: December 08, 2016, 01:43:19 pm »

It went from being a jewel for shopping downtown to a random assortment of stuff in a not very welcoming environment.

It's been a random assortment of stuff in a welcoming environment for quite a while.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #935 on: December 10, 2016, 04:46:49 pm »

I wish the Boxyard well. I checked out Dwelling Spaces and was slightly disappointed. It went from being a jewel for shopping downtown to a random assortment of stuff in a not very welcoming environment. I hope they find their footing soon.

There is also new retail near the Hooper Brothers building. Post and First Street Flea. Great concepts, just a pain to get to.

That wasn’t my impression of it at all.  They had live music when we were there for the grand opening at The Boxyard today.  We spent about an hour  doing some local Christmas shopping and visiting with the store owners.  I’m super excited about this entire development.  About 60% of the spaces were open and operating as of today.  I believe the owner of the Open Container bar said they are still about a week out and Wirwar which will specialize in Belgian food and beer will open in January.  The micro creamery is not open yet and the Water Co. is expecting their occupancy permit next week.

My understanding is Shawn Zenthoeffer (Archer Market) is actually operating Dwelling Spaces now, not Mary Beth Babcock.  No idea if ownership has actually changed hands but I was told Mary Beth was ready for a break from it.

Admittedly, my wife and I aren’t exactly clothes horses so the clothing boutiques didn’t do much for either of us and the men’s store had absurdly high prices for their clothing.  $150+ for a flannel shirt just seems ridiculous.

And to put in a plug for our good friend William: Don’t forget to shop Decopolis after or before swinging by The Boxyard, they have lots of really great stuff stocked for holiday gifts.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #936 on: December 10, 2016, 09:48:10 pm »

That wasn’t my impression of it at all.  They had live music when we were there for the grand opening at The Boxyard today.  We spent about an hour  doing some local Christmas shopping and visiting with the store owners.  I’m super excited about this entire development.  About 60% of the spaces were open and operating as of today.  I believe the owner of the Open Container bar said they are still about a week out and Wirwar which will specialize in Belgian food and beer will open in January.  The micro creamery is not open yet and the Water Co. is expecting their occupancy permit next week.

My understanding is Shawn Zenthoeffer (Archer Market) is actually operating Dwelling Spaces now, not Mary Beth Babcock.  No idea if ownership has actually changed hands but I was told Mary Beth was ready for a break from it.

Admittedly, my wife and I aren’t exactly clothes horses so the clothing boutiques didn’t do much for either of us and the men’s store had absurdly high prices for their clothing.  $150+ for a flannel shirt just seems ridiculous.

And to put in a plug for our good friend William: Don’t forget to shop Decopolis after or before swinging by The Boxyard, they have lots of really great stuff stocked for holiday gifts.

Thanks Conan, was good to see you both today and look forward to chatting with you all in January and picking your brains for tips on shipping products!

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Tulsasaurus Rex
Civic Leader

« Reply #937 on: December 14, 2016, 06:10:21 pm »

OKPop has a home

http://www.newson6.com/story/34055255/long-awaited-okpop-museum-will-be-built-across-from-cains-ballroom
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #938 on: December 14, 2016, 10:37:42 pm »

I like this location.  Keep building up Main Street.  That 1/4 block seems like a lot smaller parcel than what they were looking for previously (full block on Archer and half block on Elgin).

johrasephoenix
« Reply #939 on: December 15, 2016, 01:21:55 am »

I'm excited to see that area coming alive.  With the Hanson brewery, Davenport Lofts (if it ever actually happens), and the GKFF stuff a little west the whole far north section of downtown could become awesome.  Also who would ever have thought Easton Street would become a nexus of urban awesomeness?

Now we have to address the enormous tragedy that is the huge wasted UCAT urban renewal space just north of Cain's.  If those homes were still standing they would be the best hipster real estate in the State of Oklahoma.  I would live there.  That hole in the middle of our city prevents all the social capital being generated downtown from bleeding into North Tulsa.  
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #940 on: December 15, 2016, 07:27:52 am »

Who owns the land between 244/Boulder/Jasper/MLK? If there were ever land begging to be redeveloped I would think that would be it.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #941 on: December 15, 2016, 08:03:20 am »

Who owns the land between 244/Boulder/Jasper/MLK? If there were ever land begging to be redeveloped I would think that would be it.

Is that not UCAT Trust land?  I don't know the extent but it's a huge area.  Would love to see a master plan developed for that area west of MLK that includes a mix of urban apartments targeting OSU students, brownstones and replacement of the single family homes that used to line Haskell, Independence and Jasper.  With Emerson turning into a public Montessori it could become more of a magnet for families. 

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #942 on: December 15, 2016, 08:24:07 am »

14 lots between Boston and Main just north of Latimer are owned by the TDA.  An RFQ went out in September:
https://www.cityoftulsa.org/media/609523/RFP-EastLatimer-9-16-16.pdf

Still more land is owned by the trust, as mentioned above.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #943 on: December 15, 2016, 08:42:38 am »

OKPOP museum finally finds home near historic Cain's Ballroom
Museum finally finds home near historic Cain’s Ballroom in Brady District

After years of searching for a home in Tulsa for Oklahoma’s proposed pop culture museum, the facility will soon be built across the street from one of the city’s decades-old cultural icons: Cain’s Ballroom.
The new location for the Oklahoma Historical Society’s Oklahoma Museum of Pop Culture, known as the OKPOP, will be just south of Interstate 244 at the corner of West Easton Street and North Main Street, directly across from Cain’s, officials plan to announce Thursday.
The empty lot at 422 N. Main St., which comprises a fourth of the city block, has been used for years as paid concert parking for Cain’s. It will soon be the location of the proposed 40,000-square-foot, $40 million museum facility and a 100-space underground parking garage, Oklahoma Historical Society Director Bob Blackburn said.
Since 2014, three different sites within Tulsa’s downtown have been proposed as potential locations for the museum, though the plan has always been for the building to end up in Tulsa, specifically the Brady Arts District, Blackburn said.
Once completed, the museum will include interactive exhibits showcasing the creativity of Oklahomans and how that influence has spread into pop culture at-large, as well as a performance venue and recording and broadcasting studios.
The goal is to give historical context to these pieces of art and culture, which Blackburn thinks will set the museum apart.
“There’s a story behind the music, behind the literature, behind the illustration, behind the movies. That’s the story that’s going to make this a unique museum,” he said. “You can get the music and the movies and everything else online anymore, but where can you get the story behind the art to connect the dots?”
Notable Oklahomans to be featured in the museum are Woody Guthrie, Mary Kay Place, S.E. Hinton, Garth Brooks, Leon Russell and the country star who called the adjacent Cain’s Ballroom home, Bob Wills.
The museum, which is funded in part by a $25 million state bond, was initially slated for a lot near the Brady Theater in 2008. Plans then changed because of the recession, moving the museum to a parking lot near Archer Street and Boston Avenue used by Bank of Oklahoma employees.
Officials scrapped the plan after a trade-off between the lot’s owner, BOK Financial, and the Oklahoma Historical Society to build parking for BOK employees created some legal and political difficulties.
The next proposed spot was near ONEOK Field, on Elgin Avenue between Archer and M.B. Brady streets. The museum competed against a proposal for a 250,000-square-foot multi-use building in vying for the Tulsa Development Authority-owned property.
During the bidding process for the Tulsa Development Authority property, Blackburn learned the property across from Cain’s Ballroom was available.
In addition to being next to the “sacred ground” that is the ballroom, Blackburn said the property had everything he’d been looking for because of the area’s history.
The site is in Tulsa, in the historic Greenwood District, in the modern Brady Arts District, and because of that history it represented the “crossroads of creativity” concepts museum officials hoped to illustrate with exhibits in the facility.
Blackburn called the new site “perfect,” and after the nearly decade-long search, he said it’s a relief to finally have a location selected for the museum.
“Now it’s time to get to the table and roll our sleeves up,” he said.
Officials plan to break ground on the museum by the beginning of 2018 and use 2017 for planning and designing the facility. The museum should open by the end of 2019.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local/okpop-museum-finally-finds-home-near-historic-cain-s-ballroom/article_2ccf1060-5898-5fb9-b360-31cc427c3b8b.html
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #944 on: December 15, 2016, 08:59:38 am »

The empty lot at 422 N. Main St., which comprises a fourth of the city block, has been used for years as paid concert parking for Cain’s. It will soon be the location of the proposed 40,000-square-foot, $40 million museum facility and a 100-space underground parking garage

Seems like a great spot for it, across from Cain's and it will replace the parking lot with another lot so perhaps no loss of parking.

The BOK center lot would've been nice, but would be isolated from everything else right now. I didn't like using the spot across from the ballpark as that would hurt the walkability over there and it seems like a mixed-use development would fit better there (with retail/food options) to help connect Blue Dome to Brady rather than the monstrosity they had proposed for that block. Cain's is already sort of an entertainment strip and that spot should enhance the appeal of Cain's along with SoundPony for visitors. It will also have a performance venue so that should also fit with the area, adding to it becoming an area for concerts.

The next proposed spot was near ONEOK Field, on Elgin Avenue between Archer and M.B. Brady streets. The museum competed against a proposal for a 250,000-square-foot multi-use building in vying for the Tulsa Development Authority-owned property.

The new one is 40,000 foot. I did not know the previous one was a multi-use building. That might've been good for that spot then, but I'm sure the financials would be very tough to build that large of a place. Rather than something like $4-$12 million building cost, it could've been more like $25-$60 million building costs and would've left no money for all of the expensive exhibits and artifacts they'll need.

Officials plan to break ground on the museum by the beginning of 2018 and use 2017 for planning and designing the facility. The museum should open by the end of 2019.

That's a long ways away! But at least they have a site and a plan to finish it with an end in sight.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 143   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org