A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:51:07 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Riverside Apartments  (Read 49790 times)
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2018, 08:22:13 am »

I found a few aerial shots of this project, they are from July when they were just starting framing.  It looks like they may be topped out or close to it now.  

The garage gets completely wrapped by units

DTowner
City Father

« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2018, 08:56:44 am »

Wow, that is impressive.  This project seems to be flying under the radar - likely because of Riverside being closed.  I suspect that will change starting next week.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2018, 09:07:47 am »

What's the top level of the parking structure?
Is that a pool?
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2018, 09:21:12 am »

What's the top level of the parking structure?
Is that a pool?

Yep there is a rooftop pool on the west side of the parking structure.  The courtyard will be landscaped with a fountain and there is a plaza area at the corner of Denver & Riverside.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2018, 12:28:38 pm »

Looks like it will be nice.   

That type of construction just looks so flimsy...Especially for 3 and 4 stories and more.  Just "seeing" piles of 2x's after a big wind...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2018, 12:37:41 pm »

Looks like it will be nice.  

That type of construction just looks so flimsy...Especially for 3 and 4 stories and more.  Just "seeing" piles of 2x's after a big wind...

Actually they are easily good beyond that with gypcrete decks and full fire suppression.

Vision 2025 Program Director - know the facts, www.Vision2025.info
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2018, 03:28:19 pm »

Actually they are easily good beyond that with gypcrete decks and full fire suppression.

Yeah.  I have seen it and stayed in lots of hotels built that way.  Works well if you sheath it properly, and most seem to do it well now.  And FEMA shows how to do 2x4 construction to withstand debris from a CAT 5 tornado - I am building some things like that right now!  Wood is good!!

Still 'looks' like those popsicle stick buildings from 3rd grade art class...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2018, 09:09:39 am »

Yeah.  I have seen it and stayed in lots of hotels built that way.  Works well if you sheath it properly, and most seem to do it well now.  And FEMA shows how to do 2x4 construction to withstand debris from a CAT 5 tornado - I am building some things like that right now!  Wood is good!!

Still 'looks' like those popsicle stick buildings from 3rd grade art class...

CAT5 tornado?

Tornadoes are rated EF, Hurricane's are CAT with a fairly significant difference in wind speed. EF5 = 200MPH+. CAT5 = 157MPH+.

Most wooden structures can't withstand an EF5 tornado whereas they can survive a CAT5 hurricane.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2018, 11:09:58 am »

CAT5 tornado?

Tornadoes are rated EF, Hurricane's are CAT with a fairly significant difference in wind speed. EF5 = 200MPH+. CAT5 = 157MPH+.

Most wooden structures can't withstand an EF5 tornado whereas they can survive a CAT5 hurricane.

No, no. I found a CAT-5 tornado.  They are devastating.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 11:53:43 am by patric » Logged

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2018, 03:50:43 pm »

No, no. I found a CAT-5 tornado.  They are devastating.

LOL! Nice!
That's hilarious!!!
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2018, 06:59:06 pm »

CAT5 tornado?

EF.    What they say is that an EF5 with winds over 200 mph can push a 2x4x8' at 100 mph.  That is the wall rating of their safe room, using their construction methods.

Cliff's notes version - anchor the wall studs well into good concrete.  Sheath the room with 3/4" plywood and layer of 12 ga steel sheet.  Max 14' x 14' for residential. Will keep you from getting the 2x4 debris into room with enough force to kill you.   Tractor/trailer truck landing on you - not so much.  Direct hit from 200 mph winds, the room is probably gonna blow off the slab. 

To survive that, probably need about 1/4" steel plate anchored well.   Or thick concrete pillbox as would get with ICF construction.

Hurricanes - mostly it will be newer construction that can handle the 157+ that was built to code without cheating.   Lots of old buildings still blowing away when get the 'right' 157 if they haven't been retrofitted.

Patric's CAT-5 tornado is spot on!!  But won't eat a house....

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2018, 07:00:04 pm »

No, no. I found a CAT-5 tornado.  They are devastating.

Looks like the old IT room at work a few years ago...

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2018, 11:46:34 am »

I think they are getting close to topping off along Denver and Riverside.  Still have to finish wrapping the parking garage along 17th St.  Some recent pics I found:

« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 11:48:47 am by SXSW » Logged

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2020, 02:09:08 pm »

Some new pics, this one is almost finished

DTowner
City Father

« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2020, 02:43:49 pm »

SXSW, you must have a really long selfie stick!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org