A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:35:25 am
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa’s Tornado Tower  (Read 22399 times)
Jeff P
Civic Leader

« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2015, 11:33:20 am »

I like it.  Would make a great visitor center.  Though we don't get as many tornadoes anymore with the weather patterns shifting more towards the Mississippi River Valley (knock on wood) the plains states are still known for tornadoes.

I sort of can't help myself but go all "weather stat nerd" here...  Smiley

While 2014 was a "down year" for tornadoes in Oklahoma, there isn't any long-term trend that shows them decreasing in frequency in the state.

In fact, 2010 and 2011 were two of the most active tornado years on record, with 103 and 119, respectively. The average number per year since 1950 is 55.  Last year was the first in the past 5 years that we haven't exceeded that number.

Tornado stats: http://www.srh.noaa.gov/oun/?n=tornadodata-ok-monthlyannual

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2015, 01:38:51 pm »

I sort of can't help myself but go all "weather stat nerd" here...  Smiley

While 2014 was a "down year" for tornadoes in Oklahoma, there isn't any long-term trend that shows them decreasing in frequency in the state.

In fact, 2010 and 2011 were two of the most active tornado years on record, with 103 and 119, respectively. The average number per year since 1950 is 55.  Last year was the first in the past 5 years that we haven't exceeded that number.

Tornado stats: http://www.srh.noaa.gov/oun/?n=tornadodata-ok-monthlyannual

Well color me corrected.  Seems I used to hear about them more when I was a kid and haven't heard of many, at least in the Tulsa area, lately.   But do hear more about them cropping up to our east where the news paints them as being rare and unexpected. 

Don't see or hear about them in the Tulsa or OKC area as much, do hear about them being surprised by them further east.  Shows how a limited perception can be wrong.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2015, 04:31:04 pm »

I think the tornado tower would be a huge attraction for the Joplin, MO. and Moore, OK crowd.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2015, 04:49:36 pm »

For full effect, the jail and surrounding bail bonds building should be turned to rubble and left as a "path of destruction" display.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2015, 05:59:52 pm »

Great thought.

Anyone else think it might look good next to the Arena (often referred to as a squashed QT coffee cup)? A sort of before and after thing?

onward...through the fog
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2015, 08:30:50 am »

Stick a cow in it and a pick up truck and I'm in.
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2015, 02:56:08 pm »

We have to build this thing now!!

Genius Architects Want to Build a Tornado-Shaped Tower in Oklahoma
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2015, 03:50:22 pm »

Kitschy Big Indian = dud
Tornado Tower = destination
Ed W
City Father

Re:
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2015, 06:04:46 pm »

How about kitschy big indian HOLDING a tornado tower like an ice cream cone?

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2015, 10:45:54 pm »

Kinslow Keith and Todd say they have investors from around the world wanting to be part of the Tornado Tower, they are now actively scouting locations and believe there is a 70-80% chance they will get it done.

http://kfor.com/2015/04/30/investors-worldwide-are-interested-in-the-tulsa-tornado-tower/

http://www.krmg.com/news/news/local/proposed-tulsa-tornado-tower-might-actually-happen/nk6X9/
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2015, 12:09:00 am »

Kinslow Keith and Todd say they have investors from around the world wanting to be part of the Tornado Tower, they are now actively scouting locations and believe there is a 70-80% chance they will get it done.

http://kfor.com/2015/04/30/investors-worldwide-are-interested-in-the-tulsa-tornado-tower/

http://www.krmg.com/news/news/local/proposed-tulsa-tornado-tower-might-actually-happen/nk6X9/

Oh hell, this smells of "The American"....

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2015, 07:31:33 am »

Oh hell, this smells of "The American"....

Thats what I thought.....Trying to hype it up.....

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2015, 07:40:36 am »

The American is exactly what I thought. The price of bronze has crashed, where is that thing?

But... Like the American, I hope it happens. Private investment, interesting concept. Add several things like this to an already fun town and you start drawing people for day trips, conventions are easier to land, etc. Strange to think a Tornado Tower would sway a business convention or shareholder meeting, but everything that makes a town seem worth visiting adds together.

Hope it happens. Would generating some serious buzz.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
charky
Civic Leader

« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2015, 03:17:16 pm »

If it's built then I hope they make room for the NWS. Our office is alright...but I'm tired of area (11th/169) and we're one of the few offices in the country that doesn't have it's own independent structure.

There's a chance we'll move to the OU campus at 41st/Yale in a couple of years. At least that's the rumor.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2015, 03:51:23 pm »

If it's built then I hope they make room for the NWS. Our office is alright...but I'm tired of area (11th/169) and we're one of the few offices in the country that doesn't have it's own independent structure.

There's a chance we'll move to the OU campus at 41st/Yale in a couple of years. At least that's the rumor.

I remember you guys being at a building much closer to the airport (Apache/Sheridan?) when I took my first tour in second grade.  A year after June 8 1974 for me.  It was fascinating.  Never been to the one at 11th/169 but live close.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org