A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:19:29 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jon Stewart  (Read 11879 times)
DolfanBob
City Father

« on: February 11, 2015, 09:57:58 am »

16 Years? For real?  Huh
I can honestly say. I have never watched any episodes of his show. The only reason I know about him, Glenn Beck or the guy who's taking over for Dave. Is because of the videos posted on here. Granted what I have seen is funny, entertaining and sometimes insightful. But never enough to get me to actually watch political humor.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2948642/Jon-Stewart-s-takedowns-Daily-segments-mocking-names-Glenn-Beck-Sarah-Palin-Bill-O-Reilly-President-George-Bush.html

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 10:01:57 am »

16 Years? For real?  Huh
I can honestly say. I have never watched any episodes of his show. The only reason I know about him, Glenn Beck or the guy who's taking over for Dave. Is because of the videos posted on here. Granted what I have seen is funny, entertaining and sometimes insightful. But never enough to get me to actually watch political humor.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2948642/Jon-Stewart-s-takedowns-Daily-segments-mocking-names-Glenn-Beck-Sarah-Palin-Bill-O-Reilly-President-George-Bush.html

If you have HBO you should watch John Oliver then.  His is weekly and he takes on subjects from the death penalty to for-profit generic colleges to net neutrality.  He's a product of Jon Stewart (had him as his "Senior British Correspondent" as well as him guest-hosting the show while Jon was directing his film a couple of summers ago).  Since he's on HBO he has free reign to excoriate anyone (since he's not beholden to sponsors like CC is to an extent).
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 10:03:47 am by Hoss » Logged

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
rebound
City Father

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 10:03:13 am »

16 Years? For real?  Huh

Well, too late now I suppose, at least until his next gig.   Curious though what shows you do watch?  While Stuart has always cloaked his commentary in humor, there is also always considerable substance underneath.  I find him to be much more truly informative on his topics than, say, the more mainstream news commentary shows (on either side of the political spectrum).  And I simply cannot watch any of the mainstream humor/interview shows, a la Letterman, Leno, etc., as it's just inane drivel and not worth the time.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 12:47:15 pm »

This is sad.  Without Jon Stewart, a large population of people will get no news at all.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 12:54:12 pm »

This is sad.  Without Jon Stewart, a large population of people will get no news at all.

They also won't know who to vote for because of that.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 12:56:29 pm »

I'm sure you're trying to make a point but your opinion already holds true for anyone relying on most news shows on television.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 02:06:52 pm »

This is sad.  Without Jon Stewart, a large population of people will get no news at all.

http://www.poynter.org/news/mediawire/174826/survey-nprs-listeners-best-informed-fox-news-viewers-worst-informed/

Poor Gasp is under the impression he's informed.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 02:09:03 pm by swake » Logged
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 02:31:41 pm »

I listen to NPR all day and watch Sunday morning political talk shows.

Come hither and give heed
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 02:41:02 pm »

16 Years? For real?  Huh
I can honestly say. I have never watched any episodes of his show.

Then this would be 21 minutes well spent:

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/full-episodes/8omwbs/february-10--2015---david-axelrod

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 04:39:59 pm »

There is a song that says;

But if you go carrying pictures of Chairman Mao
You ain't going to make it with anyone anyhow...

To paraphrase;

But if you go carrying pictures of Ludwig von Mises

Gaspar is a card carrying, picture toting von Mises fan.  Explains it all....or at least a lot of it.  (His picture.)

Old school Alex Jones, maybe??

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 04:52:04 pm »

To paraphrase;

But if you go carrying pictures of Ludwig von Mises

Gaspar is a card carrying, picture toting von Mises fan.  Explains it all....or at least a lot of it.  (His picture.)

Old school Alex Jones, maybe??

Oh! You got me!  I am indeed a classical liberal.

Did it really take you this long to figure that out?

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 05:27:25 pm »

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2015, 06:58:36 pm »

Oh! You got me!  I am indeed a classical liberal.

Did it really take you this long to figure that out?

Nope.  Have known that for a long time...the new definition is libertarian, by the way.  And of course, it is also wrong - at least to the degree von Mises proposed.  The principals are good, right up to the point where they adversely impinge on the rest of society and other individuals.

Just that particular quote points out how inflexible he was - and how he just didn't understand that freedom IS divisible.  It is conditional.  It is situational.  And you don't enter into a decline so much as you gain a society.  There is no such thing as unlimited, indivisible freedom - there cannot be when there are other people around.  Perhaps if he were the last person on earth, that becomes true.  But not before.  It's just a shame so many don't get it.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 07:06:03 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2015, 08:37:07 pm »

I listen to NPR all day and watch Sunday morning political talk shows.

Come hither and give heed

Explains everything.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2015, 08:51:11 pm »

Meet Chairman Meow.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org