A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:17:30 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shakespeare's Sister-where there is money there is education  (Read 2440 times)
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« on: February 08, 2015, 08:49:10 am »

...where there isn't, there is excessive testing and lack of curriculum development...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/wp/2015/01/29/teacher-i-see-the-difference-in-educational-privilege-every-day-i-live-it-i-am-disgusted-by-it/?tid=hybrid_alt1_strip_2

onward...through the fog
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 10:35:19 am »

I disagree with her notion that there is "education" where there is money. The system is so bad that the amount of beneficial learning taking place, even in wealthy classrooms, is typically much lower than it could or should be.

That's not to discredit her assesment of the situation of those entrenched in poverty, however. I've seen, personally, the "two worlds" that exist between the relatively rich and the poor. It nearly sickens me how few opportunities children in poverty will ever recieve in their lifetime, because not many people really care enough to do anything about it. And then, on top of this, our idiotic governor would like to continue slashing taxes while there are schools (even rich, suburban districts) that, literally, cannot afford to buy copy paper.

I wish everyone could get the chance to personally see into the life of a child in poverty. We wouldn't be in this situation. It's a vicious, unrelenting cycle.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 10:37:54 am by ZYX » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org